Spanish GCSE and A-Level Watch

sjk.xx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi guys,

So I’ve always loved the Spanish language, but it wasn’t offered at my school meaning I wasn’t able to study it. However, I’m moving schools for Sixthform and my new school does offer it.

I’m wondering how possible people think it would be to study GCSE and A-Level Spanish in the course of two years? If it helps any, my other subjects are English Lit, Psychology and Sociology and I do have experience with learning a language at school in the past (until I moved schools I was on track to achieve an A in German at GCSE after studying it for 6 months but when I moved the school I moved to didn’t offer any languages).

What do you think? Do you think it’d be possible or am I kidding myself?

Thanks, Sophie xx
SkyRunner61
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by sjk.xx)
Hi guys,

So I’ve always loved the Spanish language, but it wasn’t offered at my school meaning I wasn’t able to study it. However, I’m moving schools for Sixthform and my new school does offer it.

I’m wondering how possible people think it would be to study GCSE and A-Level Spanish in the course of two years? If it helps any, my other subjects are English Lit, Psychology and Sociology and I do have experience with learning a language at school in the past (until I moved schools I was on track to achieve an A in German at GCSE after studying it for 6 months but when I moved the school I moved to didn’t offer any languages).

Thanks, Sophie xx
Personally I think that you’re kidding yourself if you haven’t learned a substantial amount of the language already. There’s a lot of content in the A Level and the grade boundaries are really high, plus speaking skill doesn’t just build overnight. Would your new sixth form even let you pursue that option given that you have no formal proof of language aptitude
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Rabbit2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by sjk.xx)
Hi guys,

Thanks, Sophie xx
During WW2, a young lady was recruited to work for OSS. She was from New York state, some distance from New York city. She was sent to Spain, to work with the partisans. [During WW2, Spain was allegedly "neutral" - but there was substantial Nazi activity all over the country throughout the war]. When she arrived in Spain, she spoke not a word of Spanish, and was 20 years old. She was given 3 months to learn the language, or she would be sent home. She viewed being sent home as extremely distasteful, as both her brothers were in the military & she wanted to do her part. She said that she was in a 'great' position, as none of her friends or contacts in Spain spoke a word of english. She applied herself, and within the 3 months, she was able to work with native Spanish speakers successfully. She lived in Spain throughout the war, and later married a Spanish count, becoming one of the Spanish nobility. Her name was Aline Griffith, also known as the Contessa de Romananones. She has several books out. If she could do it, i don't see why you can't - altho she was not doing it in an academic setting. As she put it, if she didn't learn some Spanish FAST, she couldn't eat! After her marriage, her husband (who spoke 5 languages), told her that her French (which she had studied in school for several years), was so heavily burdened by an American accent, that it was hardly understandable. The OSS apparently hadn't noticed this when training her for overseas service. She was very lucky she didn't go to France. The gestapo would have 'sussed' her out in a week and shot her!! Cheers & best of luck!
SkyRunner61
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Rabbit2)
During WW2, a young lady was recruited to work for OSS. She was from New York state, some distance from New York city. She was sent to Spain, to work with the partisans. [During WW2, Spain was allegedly "neutral" - but there was substantial Nazi activity all over the country throughout the war]. When she arrived in Spain, she spoke not a word of Spanish, and was 20 years old. She was given 3 months to learn the language, or she would be sent home. She viewed being sent home as extremely distasteful, as both her brothers were in the military & she wanted to do her part. She said that she was in a 'great' position, as none of her friends or contacts in Spain spoke a word of english. She applied herself, and within the 3 months, she was able to work with native Spanish speakers successfully. She lived in Spain throughout the war, and later married a Spanish count, becoming one of the Spanish nobility. Her name was Aline Griffith, also known as the Contessa de Romananones. She has several books out. If she could do it, i don't see why you can't - altho she was not doing it in an academic setting. As she put it, if she didn't learn some Spanish FAST, she couldn't eat! After her marriage, her husband (who spoke 5 languages), told her that her French (which she had studied in school for several years), was so heavily burdened by an American accent, that it was hardly understandable. The OSS apparently hadn't noticed this when training her for overseas service. She was very lucky she didn't go to France. The gestapo would have 'sussed' her out in a week and shot her!! Cheers & best of luck!
...this is very different from that. Like you said, without learning fast she couldn’t eat so there is urgent reason for her to acquire the language quickly. Plus that was an immersion environment - picking up foreign languages is far easier when you’re surrounded by people who only speak that language and you can’t speak your native tongue to communicate
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
lucieol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
My sixth form lets quite a few people a year start languages from scratch and they end up doing well (As and Bs). I don't see why you couldn't do it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (107)
17.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (65)
10.53%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.5%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.91%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.66%

Watched Threads