This discussion is closed.
<..........>
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm not usually one for the internet rumour mill but I recently finished a royal biography on Philip and the Queen and so when I logged on to Twitter and saw the speculation, it really caught my eye.

A lot of the news outlets are printing some quite strange articles about royal protocol and what is to happen in the event of his death, and the BBC newsreaders have been wearing black for the past few hours apparently (the present one certainly is in any case).

He's obviously been in extremely poor health recently and is 97 no less.
I know the internet has previous for this rumour but this time around it seems that perhaps it has might have some hallmarks legitimacy...

Anyone think perhaps it might be true on this occasion?
Idontknow77
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think so. Wouldn't they have announced it on the news by now.
ABM2001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, I’d like to think it would’ve been broadcasted on the news.. but who knows anymore? Anything can happen.
<..........>
Rep:
?
(Original post by Idontknow77)
I don't think so. Wouldn't they have announced it on the news by now.
It depends when he passed, if indeed he has.
Protocol is supposed to be that the death is announced at 8am the following morning via the BBC apparently but in the new age of Twitter and the like, if it is true then I wonder whether they would actually hold off that long...

They wouldn't want some news outlet getting a source they're happy with and the news ends up getting broken by TMZ.
Idontknow77
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Johnathan94)
It depends when he passed, if indeed he has.
Protocol is supposed to be that the death is announced at 8am the following morning via the BBC apparently but in the new age of Twitter and the like, if it is true then I wonder whether they would actually hold off that long...

They wouldn't want some news outlet getting a source they're happy with and the news ends up getting broken by TMZ.
Apparently some sort of announcement to come at 6pm today from Buckingham palace says someone on twitter.
clara_oswald
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
“Someone on Twitter” oh yes a reliable source of information 😂
<..........>
Rep:
?
(Original post by Idontknow77)
Apparently some sort of announcement to come at 6pm today from Buckingham palace says someone on twitter.
Yeah if we don't hear anything at 6 then either it's completely fabricated (quite possibly) or they're actually going to try to follow protocol and wait until 8am tomorrow.
rdlewiss
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Prince Phillip dies every month according to twitter 😂 reports have also said that abbey bells have been ringing? Highly doubt the rumours are true as I’m sure a reliable source I.e. the bbc would inform people firsthand rather than letting rumours fly or unreliable sources spreading false information
<..........>
Rep:
?
(Original post by clara_oswald)
“Someone on Twitter” oh yes a reliable source of information 😂
No I take your point of course but there are a couple of strange little indicators and some big name news-outlets are publishing stories about royal protocol in the event of his death and such.

You're quite right it might all come to nothing but it's also interesting that nothing has been put on any of the royal Twitter handles for 6 hours or so now and the BBC newsreader is wearing black.

Also, when this last happened (the Sun publishing a story claiming he'd died) it was taken down within minutes when, presumably, someone called up and said "Nope!"
Either they haven't felt it worth the call this time around, or... they can't make that phone call as it's true.
clara_oswald
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I suppose we’ll know soon enough. I should have added that of course I went straight onto twitter after seeing this post.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It wouldn't be a Friday Afternoon without a Prince Philip death rumor.

I can't stand idle speculation but Eric Pickles did it.
<..........>
Rep:
?
(Original post by rdlewiss)
Prince Phillip dies every month according to twitter 😂 reports have also said that abbey bells have been ringing? Highly doubt the rumours are true as I’m sure a reliable source I.e. the bbc would inform people firsthand rather than letting rumours fly or unreliable sources spreading false information
The BBC is quite bound up in the establishment, it's almost inconceivable that they would announce this without permission. No outlet would want to call it wrong on a story like this, I shouldn't think, so it would probably only break when the Palace announced it... Unless someone had a source they felt really, really bloody confident in.

Maybe you're right but on this occasion, I don't know - it does seem like maybe it's true this time around.

Happy and willing to be wrong though.
Tommy Vercetti
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
According to Twitter, every celebrity has already died about 10 times.
rdlewiss
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Johnathan94)
The BBC is quite bound up in the establishment, it's almost inconceivable that they would announce this without permission. No outlet would want to call it wrong on a story like this, I shouldn't think, so it would probably only break when the Palace announced it... Unless someone had a source they felt really, really bloody confident in.

Maybe you're right but on this occasion, I don't know - it does seem like maybe it's true this time around.

Happy and willing to be wrong though.
No no! I completely agree. The BBC have never published anything without contact. I meant that I’m sure the BBC would’ve been the first point of contact over unreliable sources such as The Sun who have posted about the rumour.
<..........>
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tommy Vercetti)
According to Twitter, every celebrity has already died about 10 times.
Never Elvis or Michael Jackson though! :P
Anyauk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
BBC news will be the first to confirm it.
rdlewiss
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone anxiously waiting for the 6pm news? lol
<..........>
Rep:
?
Anyone anxiously waiting for the 6pm news? lol
Yeah, I'm sitting waiting for it.
rdlewiss
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ah so the rumour passed the 6pm news! I guess it was just that then, rumours.
<..........>
Rep:
?
Ah so the rumour passed the 6pm news! I guess it was just that then, rumours.
Well, maybe.
The 6pm thing was, as someone else said, just something that was bouncing around Twitter.

Protocol is to announce it at 8am the following morning so it's possible that it may still be true.

I know what you mean though, might well just be a rumour.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads