The Student Room Group

Should I leave uni to join RAF?

Hello, I finished my 2nd year at university studying Business Management, however, I ended up with poor grades due to personal/family issues and I am not enjoying the degree. To be honest, I don't really want to continue studying next year to waste another 9k with mediocre grades that will get me nowhere. I am currently on the path to a 3rd and would most likely end up with a 2:2 if I tried hard which isn't even good.

I have been looking at some of the RAF roles and a couple of them interest me but I don't know if I should apply now or just continue with uni. I am thinking I may not even get accepted at RAF which is kind of risky and will leave me with no options for the next year.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ridan
Hello, I finished my 2nd year at university studying Business Management, however, I ended up with poor grades due to personal/family issues and I am not enjoying the degree. To be honest, I don't really want to continue studying next year to waste another 9k with mediocre grades that will get me nowhere. I am currently on the path to a 3rd and would most likely end up with a 2:2 if I tried hard which isn't even a good.

I have been looking at some of the RAF roles and a couple of them interest me but I don't know if I should apply now or just continue with uni. I am thinking I may not even get accepted at RAF which is kind of risky and will leave me with no options for the next year.

If it doesn’t cost money to apply then you might as well. Do you know how long it would take for the application to be parsed and when you would have to drop out of uni by to avoid paying third year fees?
I would continue with uni.

It wouldn't look great if you said you quit uni before beginning your first year and plus, what is the point? You're 2/3 of the way there - just persevere. The RAF isn't going anywhere.

Also look at it this way, you might really dislike the training, and decide it's not for you. Then what?

My suggestion would be to finish uni and then join. By the time you'd get in, you would've finished university anyway, as the application process can take 12+ months in some cases, though I believe the more usual time frame is 6-9 months.

Good luck.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ridan
Hello, I finished my 2nd year at university studying Business Management, however, I ended up with poor grades due to personal/family issues and I am not enjoying the degree. To be honest, I don't really want to continue studying next year to waste another 9k with mediocre grades that will get me nowhere. I am currently on the path to a 3rd and would most likely end up with a 2:2 if I tried hard which isn't even good.

Finish uni, get the degree (no matter what pass mark), join the RAF - only certain professional branches need a degree. Most don't require one at all, let alone a particular pass mark.

Then, when you come out of the RAF you have a degree (nobody will care about the mark then) AND experience of work that'll be far beyond your peers.

Fwiw, I know pilots in the RAF who didn't even achieve a third in their degrees... They still got in.
(edited 5 years ago)
You could probably get a 2:1 if you got help with your issues and tried hard. The RAF will still be there. Talk to your advisors and family etc and don't rush into anything.
Reply 5
You say may not get into the RAF. True, not everyone does, but it sounds as though you are being overly pessimistic because all the problems you've had are getting you down. Are there any particular aspects of making an application that you are concerned about or is it that you've just had your confidence knocked a bit?

Finish uni and get your degree; it gIves you a qualification and options for the future. (Further to what Drewski says, there are few jobs in the RAF that require degrees - engineers do and are accepted with pass degrees). Use this summer and the final year to get yourself ready to apply to the RAF. Get to an AFCO and look more into your chosen roles. Get fit. Get involved in clubs and societies and take on responsibilities, if you haven't already. Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
You say may not get into the RAF. True, not everyone does, but it sounds as though you are being overly pessimistic because all the problems you've had are getting you down. Are there any particular aspects of making an application that you are concerned about or is it that you've just had your confidence knocked a bit?

Finish uni and get your degree; it gIves you a qualification and options for the future. (Further to what Drewski says, there are few jobs in the RAF that require degrees - engineers do and are accepted with pass degrees). Use this summer and the final year to get yourself ready to apply to the RAF. Get to an AFCO and look more into your chosen roles. Get fit. Get involved in clubs and societies and take on responsibilities, if you haven't already. Good luck!

Wow you see right through me and yeah you guys are right, I will hold it off until next year. I didn't go ahead with the application because I knew I would get rejected as I never did any extracurricular activities or gain employable skills before due to social anxiety. Compared to other applicants who probably have good grades and life experiences is not a good look for me. And me still living at home rather than on campus doesn't help either. I just sometimes feel like I can't do anything because it is too late for me.

I will try spending this year getting fit and joining some clubs however I need to spend a lot more time on my degree if I want to achieve decent grades. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 7
Original post by Ridan
Wow you see right through me and yeah you guys are right, I will hold it off until next year. I didn't go ahead with the application because I knew I would get rejected as I never did any extracurricular activities or gain employable skills before due to social anxiety. Compared to other applicants who probably have good grades and life experiences is not a good look for me. And me still living at home rather than on campus doesn't help either. I just sometimes feel like I can't do anything because it is too late for me.

I will try spending this year getting fit and joining some clubs however I need to spend a lot more time on my degree if I want to achieve decent grades. Thanks for the advice.

Please don't take this as knocking your motivation for decent grades, but don't get too hung up on that aspect as it doesn't matter what grades people take into their application so long as they meet the requirements for their role; your qualifications is a couple of questions on the formal interview and then it's your preparation and personal qualities that take you through the rest of the selection and hopefully training. Genuine examples: someone with top grades at GCSE/A levels failed the interview because when asked about the training for their chosen Officer role they described the process for airmen/women and it went downhill from there; conversely, 17yo with the minimum grades and slightly quiet personality in the interviews passed Halton and won Best Recruit for his intake.

The RAF don't see living at home as an issue in itself (can be for personal/financial reasons), but it does depend on what you've done with your time. Is there something local you can do that isn't too much of a drain as you are right, you do need a balance between study and outside activities? You haven't said what roles you are interested in, but maybe have a back-up plan so that if it was lack of positions with responsibility for which you were rejected, you've got something where you can work and volunteer and look at reapplying in the future? If you decide the RAF is what you really want, keep at it and don't let one setback with an application put you off for life.
Original post by Ridan

Hi,

glad that these replies have helped you make your mind up!

Touching upon what I said previously; do not hang around to apply though. The process is very lengthy, and even more so if your medical record is extensive.

Once you've had your interview, the ball is in your court as to deciding upon dates for your pre-joining tests, potential RAF course etc. You could try and time it so you have a seamless transition from uni into work.

Also bear in mind that some roles may have lengthy waiting lists to join!

Best of luck my friend, the RAF is an excellent career choice - as is any of the Armed forces!
Reply 9
Original post by Surnia
Please don't take this as knocking your motivation for decent grades, but don't get too hung up on that aspect as it doesn't matter what grades people take into their application so long as they meet the requirements for their role; your qualifications is a couple of questions on the formal interview and then it's your preparation and personal qualities that take you through the rest of the selection and hopefully training. Genuine examples: someone with top grades at GCSE/A levels failed the interview because when asked about the training for their chosen Officer role they described the process for airmen/women and it went downhill from there; conversely, 17yo with the minimum grades and slightly quiet personality in the interviews passed Halton and won Best Recruit for his intake.

The RAF don't see living at home as an issue in itself (can be for personal/financial reasons), but it does depend on what you've done with your time. Is there something local you can do that isn't too much of a drain as you are right, you do need a balance between study and outside activities? You haven't said what roles you are interested in, but maybe have a back-up plan so that if it was lack of positions with responsibility for which you were rejected, you've got something where you can work and volunteer and look at reapplying in the future? If you decide the RAF is what you really want, keep at it and don't let one setback with an application put you off for life.

The reason I am putting emphasis on grades is in case I get rejected and decided to pursue something else with my qualifications, but I do know it isn't vital for the RAF (I am interested in the Air Operations Officer position).

And regarding your second point, that is the problem. I haven't done anything with my time. All I have done is volunteer at Cancer Research UK for a couple of months and do a few weeks of work experience at a retail store while I was in secondary school... What would you recommend me to do over the summer before uni starts that could strengthen my application? When uni starts I am going to sign up for some of these clubs https://brunelstudents.com/sportsclubs/a-z/
I wanted to sign up for the University London Air Squadrons but the website says recruitment is closed.

Original post by SFASPIRANT
Hi,

glad that these replies have helped you make your mind up!

Touching upon what I said previously; do not hang around to apply though. The process is very lengthy, and even more so if your medical record is extensive.

Once you've had your interview, the ball is in your court as to deciding upon dates for your pre-joining tests, potential RAF course etc. You could try and time it so you have a seamless transition from uni into work.

Also bear in mind that some roles may have lengthy waiting lists to join!

Best of luck my friend, the RAF is an excellent career choice - as is any of the Armed forces!

Oh I didn't know that, thanks for the information. When exactly would be the best time to apply and do the interview? I would do it now but like I said before I would be a poor applicant due to not having much experience/skills they would be looking for. I don't have any medical issues however I am on the skinny side so I will try to bulk up and hit the gym.

I'm applying to be an Air Operations Officer, I hope it won't have a really long waiting list. And if you could give me any pointers that would help me in the interview process would be appreciated.
Reply 10
For an Officer role you want things that give you responsibility. Charity shops/retail can give you cash handling, dealing with customers, maybe stock control, key handling. With sports clubs or any uni societies, it's not just participating, you want to look at the committee positions like secretary and treasurer etc. You may be able to get involved with youth groups without DBS initially if there are sufficient qualified other staff; do you have anywhere doing children's activities for the holidays? Local church or community centre doing fund-raising? Could you organise a charity fund-raising event, get some mates involved, maybe for a half-term if you need a bit more time?

Bear in mind that if you apply too soon before the end of uni, and have the GCSE and A level results, you are eligible for the role and if it's open, they will start the selection process. You have some choice of dates, but it will be picking from what they offer; you can't be deferring for weeks if it clashes with end-of-year projects and exams. They have to time things to try and get sufficient candidates for an IOT. Look at when you can afford to be taking time off.

There's plenty of info on here re interviews, and you'll get more from the P2 presentation once you've applied. Quite simply, the first half of the interview is about you, education, hobbies, sports. Second half is about your chosen role and the RAF.
Original post by Ridan
The reason I am putting emphasis on grades is in case I get rejected and decided to pursue something else with my qualifications, but I do know it isn't vital for the RAF (I am interested in the Air Operations Officer position).

And regarding your second point, that is the problem. I haven't done anything with my time. All I have done is volunteer at Cancer Research UK for a couple of months and do a few weeks of work experience at a retail store while I was in secondary school... What would you recommend me to do over the summer before uni starts that could strengthen my application? When uni starts I am going to sign up for some of these clubs https://brunelstudents.com/sportsclubs/a-z/
I wanted to sign up for the University London Air Squadrons but the website says recruitment is closed.

Oh I didn't know that, thanks for the information. When exactly would be the best time to apply and do the interview? I would do it now but like I said before I would be a poor applicant due to not having much experience/skills they would be looking for. I don't have any medical issues however I am on the skinny side so I will try to bulk up and hit the gym.

I'm applying to be an Air Operations Officer, I hope it won't have a really long waiting list. And if you could give me any pointers that would help me in the interview process would be appreciated.

Can't speak for the officer roles I'm afraid mate, I only applied as Airman but the interview was informal as ****.
Original post by Ridan

The question you'll need to answer is what have you done to demonstrate your leadership potential. You'll be asked to talk about what you did both in and out of school, and both in and out of university.

Find some answers to those questions, or the process won't go that far.
Reply 13
Original post by Ridan

What Roles interest you in the RAF?

Quick Reply

Latest