Criminalogic
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello all,

I have just finished my first year studying BSc Criminology. Throughout my year of work, I found myself struggling to efficiently complete coursework or submit essays because I didn't fully understand my lecturers during seminars or lectures.

I was wondering what comprehensive books people found easy to read and extremely helpful for Criminology? I own 'Criminology (Third Edition) by Tim Newburn' which everyone gives praise for, however I find it rather difficult to comprehend his writing and work.

Does anyone here have any examples of any extensive Criminology books for undergraduates that are an easy/blissful read?

Thank you for reading and/or replying.
Alan88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Criminalogic)
Hello all,

I have just finished my first year studying BSc Criminology. Throughout my year of work, I found myself struggling to efficiently complete coursework or submit essays because I didn't fully understand my lecturers during seminars or lectures.

I was wondering what comprehensive books people found easy to read and extremely helpful for Criminology? I own 'Criminology (Third Edition) by Tim Newburn' which everyone gives praise for, however I find it rather difficult to comprehend his writing and work.

Does anyone here have any examples of any extensive Criminology books for undergraduates that are an easy/blissful read?

Thank you for reading and/or replying.
Hi,

I am an MSc Criminal Justice and Criminology student.

I would say that Criminology by Stephen Jones, now in its 6th edition is quite a good book. It is considerably smaller that the Criminology book by Tim Newburn, but covers a lot of areas such as criminological theory, violent and sexual offending, gender and crime and mental health and crime.

I would also recommend The Criminology and Criminal Justice Companion by Susan Robinson and Tracy Cussen. It provides chapters on academic writing, criminological research, but also gives good overviews of areas such a criminological theory, emerging issues in criminology, victims, etc.

What modules are you due to undertake in year 2? If you have struggled this first year, you will want to start preparing for these as soon as possible.
thomas1992
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi there ! I want some informations because i want to study Criminology ! Would you like to tell me some books for my preparation ? Because i want to be preparated for my entry in University !
KNewill
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi just came across this thread. What book would you recommend for someone starting out learning criminology
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.89%