5th A-level subject Watch

Admiral Punk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hey guys, I have decided to study Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry for A-Levels. I am thinking of opting for a 5th subject which isn't hardcore like the rest of my choices. I am thinking about Global Perspectives, General Paper or Thinking Skills. I don't know which of these Universities prefer.

Any advice would be appreciated!
clareeey
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Admiral Punk)
Hey guys, I have decided to study Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry for A-Levels. I am thinking of opting for a 5th subject which isn't hardcore like the rest of my choices. I am thinking about Global Perspectives, General Paper or Thinking Skills. I don't know which of these Universities prefer.

From what I have read/ heard and my own experiences, universities don't really care about any of those options.
Choose the one that looks most interesting to you if you really want to do one
katie091000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I would never be able to cope with this amount of a levels!! Sociology is a more relaxed subject but I wouldn’t call it easy as such. I would avoid subjects such as Psychology because they are very full on.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

Honestly you don't need to do 5 A-Levels and the workload is already intense with 4 A-Levels! Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry are fantastic options anyways and most unis don't accept General Studies or Critical Thinking so it would be virtually pointless doing it.
TeenPolyglot
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I do 5 A-Level subjects and believe me, neither Global Perspectives, General Paper, or Thinking Skills, would be of any use to you when applying for university.
Physics, Maths, Further Maths, and Chemistry, alongside a good personal statement, will be absolutely fine to you.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
yusyus
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

if you do anything do a relevant EPQ (I did maths physics chemistry and some further maths) and it worked out fine. As someone who is working in industry for a year as well, it helps a lot in job interviews too. It also came up in my imperial interview
SkyRunner61
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

None of those are counted as A Levels by good universities, so just don't bother. 4 A-Levels are more than enough
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Honestly, 3 A-Levels is all any university will ask for. The fact that you’re doing 4 is already more than most, I wouldn’t recommend a 5th!

Not to mention, some entry requirements state that they don’t accept General Studies as an A-Level, so it doesn’t hold much weighting.

Getting AAAAA, or AAA - Won’t change where you get accepted for university, so I’d say stick with the 3 (or 4 as you’ve chosen) and work at those, give yourself the best chance to do as well as possible. ☺️
amaraub
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
why?
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
They don't acknowledge any of those three.
AcornFalls
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Unless you think that you would really enjoy doing one of those three for yourself, I wouldn't bother, because universities don't care too much, and especially not for those subjects. But as I said, if it's for you, then feel free.
Admiral Punk
Rep:
?
clareeey CoffeeAndPolitics TeenPolyglot SkyRunner61 FloralHybrid _gcx AcornFalls amaraub katie091000

The Principal at my school recommended me to study a Humanities or Social Science subject when I told her my subject choices. She said that Universities really want a mix of the facilitating subjects together with the Humanities. I don't want to opt for a subject like Sociology or Psychology as they still have coursework and lots of information to memorize. The 3 subjects I shortlisted mainly involve skills without much written work. The total number of subjects is not that much of an issue for me. I managed 12 GCSEs so I hope this won't be much of a problem.
Admiral Punk
Rep:
?
(Original post by yusyus)
if you do anything do a relevant EPQ (I did maths physics chemistry and some further maths) and it worked out fine. As someone who is working in industry for a year as well, it helps a lot in job interviews too. It also came up in my imperial interview
Thanks for your suggestion. This is the first time I'm hearing about EPQ. I will consider it.
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
clareeey CoffeeAndPolitics TeenPolyglot SkyRunner61 FloralHybrid _gcx AcornFalls amaraub katie091000

The Principal at my school recommended me to study a Humanities or Social Science subject when I told her my subject choices. She said that Universities really want a mix of the facilitating subjects together with the Humanities. I don't want to opt for a subject like Sociology or Psychology as they still have coursework and lots of information to memorize. The 3 subjects I shortlisted mainly involve skills without much written work. The total number of subjects is not that much of an issue for me. I managed 12 GCSEs so I hope this won't be much of a problem.
What do you want to apply for at university? Look at the entry requirements. That’s all you need to fulfill.

To say that “Universities prefer a mix of science and humanities” is vague, and not really good advice, as it’s not really true. Don’t get me wrong, it keeps your options open studying a variety of subjects. But any of the ones you’ve listed as a 5th really don’t benefit you at all, I’m afraid.
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

Just because you coped with 12 GCSEs doesn't necessarily mean you'll cope with 5 A-levels. But if you're a high-flyer you might cope fine still.

You'll be fine with no humanities if you don't want to take one. If you do, look at the one you most enjoyed at GCSE. The ones you listed are universally considered to be a waste of time unfortunately, you'd be better off focusing on your other 4 if they're your options.
TeenPolyglot
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

The subjects you have already, if you're going down the science route, are perfectly fine. If you have a Humanities/Social Sciences subject, whilst it might be alright, will not be as important if it's not relevant to your chosen degree course. And those 3 potential subjects are neither facilitating subjects nor humanities. I did an excessive number of GCSEs and 4 A-Levels + EPQ, which is doable. 5 A Levels might be doable, but don't take a subject that becomes pointless just because you can.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

I’m rather perplexed about doing 5 A-Level subjects and the max I know is 4 A-Level subjects. A humanities/social science subject is helpful but I wouldn’t say it’s necessary - check the requirements for your course. Need further help tag me and I’ll try to respond ASAP.
amaraub
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

your principal is a crackhead.

also, 12 gcses is nothing compared to 5 a levels. you could easily cover a whole gcse in a week, with an a level you'd be f8cked if you tried that
SkyRunner61
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Not gonna lie I wouldn’t bother with a fifth subject if you don’t have one you really want to do. 4 subjects is already plenty of work
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

One word - don't. They'll ignore these anyway - focus on your 4 'real' ones.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (414)
18.63%
The paper was reasonable (1054)
47.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (493)
22.19%
It was TERRIBLE (261)
11.75%

Watched Threads