Can you qualify with a BTEC to a top law firm? Watch

Zabbay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Currently achieved;
1. An overall grade of a first at university of essex
2. Have tons of work experience at organinsations/firms i.e. law research assistant, business analyst
3. Joined several societies i.e. debating society, public speaking
4. Volunteered
5. Achieved an overall grade of DDD in BTEC which is equivalent to AAA

Is this enough to join a top law Firm? Is this enough joining a us law firm that’s based in the UK?
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Notoriety check this one out
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Notoriety check this one out
That's how scared of J-SP you are; you don't dare tag her after the reprimand. She only told me off.

(Original post by Zabbay)
Currently achieved;
1. An overall grade of a first at university of essex
2. Have tons of work experience at organinsations/firms i.e. law research assistant, business analyst
3. Joined several societies i.e. debating society, public speaking
4. Volunteered
5. Achieved an overall grade of DDD in BTEC which is equivalent to AAA

Is this enough to join a top law Firm? Is this enough joining a us law firm that’s based in the UK?
They will likely take equivalents to AAA, even if no one considers DDD to actually be AAA. First is good. Of course, this is only part of the app and you will need a whole lot more to get a TC. Only one way to find out, though: apply. Don't see the sense in asking this question when the answer is easily found online.

I know John and J-SP don't rate master's that much, but for me the first from Essex isn't that impressive (unless it's exemplary). If I were selling myself as a savant, legal researcher with a stellar mind, I would try to get a distinction at somewhere more established. The ones you see at Slaughter's and the likes with Reading degrees, and nothing more, tend to have exemplary firsts. School record. Rather than bare 70%.
Zabbay
Rep:
?
Thanks for your insight. I understand that it’s very competitive but I also believe I’ve tried my best so there’s nothing more I can do if I don’t get to the top law firms.
Zabbay
Rep:
?
Only reason I’m saying that is because I’ll like to be young when I’m a solicitor not in my 30s and what your suggesting is that I should continue my degree with a masters and I just can’t do that because I simply want to be young solicitor.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Only reason I’m saying that is because I’ll like to be young when I’m a solicitor not in my 30s and what your suggesting is that I should continue my degree with a masters and I just can’t do that because I simply want to be young solicitor.
I would think you'd apply to top firms first, before taking up a master's.
Zabbay
Rep:
?
That’s exactly what I did but you’re technically saying that first isn’t good enough meaning the top law firms
might not accept em given the uni I’m going.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That’s exactly what I did
Then your question is pointless, because the answer is: wait to see how they respond to your app. Completely wasting our time by asking us to predict their decision.

but you’re technically saying that first isn’t good enough meaning the top law firms
might not accept em given the uni I’m going.
I am not sure what this even means. First why you put "technically" in there. Secondly what that has to do with my point, in that you're (in your mind) just repeating my statement and not explaining why it would mean you should take up a master's before seeing how these firms react to your app.

I am not going to waste my time in this thread because I am going to lose my rag.
Zabbay
Rep:
?
I honestly don’t know why your getting so annoyed but all I wanted is some clarification and you’ve given me some that’s all I can ask. Thanks for your help really do appreciate it. Have a blessed day.
LpoolLawStudent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
That's how scared of J-SP you are; you don't dare tag her after the reprimand. She only told me off.

They will likely take equivalents to AAA, even if no one considers DDD to actually be AAA. First is good. Of course, this is only part of the app and you will need a whole lot more to get a TC. Only one way to find out, though: apply. Don't see the sense in asking this question when the answer is easily found online.

I know John and J-SP don't rate master's that much, but for me the first from Essex isn't that impressive (unless it's exemplary). If I were selling myself as a savant, legal researcher with a stellar mind, I would try to get a distinction at somewhere more established. The ones you see at Slaughter's and the likes with Reading degrees, and nothing more, tend to have exemplary firsts. School record. Rather than bare 70%.
I would never have guessed JSP was female based on her posts!
Zabbay
Rep:
?
Thank you so much @JSP & @Notereity that means so so so much to me.
LpoolLawStudent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
I’ll take that as a compliment
It would have been extraordinarily sexist of me to have meant it as such! I do find that you can often determine a persons gender by the way they write. Not always, obviously.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AndrewMarkSP)
It would have been extraordinarily sexist of me to have meant it as such! I do find that you can often determine a persons gender by the way they write. Not always, obviously.
The first and second sentences kinda contradict each other.

The second is obviously the correct one. J-SP has plenty of BDE and she isn't afraid to show it. Hence why people confuse her for a man.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%