Nutmeg3128
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How is the difficulty compared to GCSE? I will probably get a 7 and I would have Edexcel for my exam board... any general or specific advice will be appreciated!
bluebells1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
HAHA SO YOU WANT TO DO SPANISH A LEVEL DO YOU
OH BOY
WELL
I DO SPANISH A LEVEL AND LEMME TELL YA
YOU WILL SIMULTANEOUSLY LOVE AND HATE IT

OK in all seriousness, Spanish is an extremely useful a level to have and it's so good you're considering it!
Things to consider:

1) it is HARD - it will be the biggest jump in a subject you'll notice. Vocab gets much harder, speaking and listening are insane, and the standards are high - like native standard high
2) at gcse you do lots of general spanish, whereas at a level you study a lot of Spanish politics and societal changes such as Franco's dictatorship, transition to democracy, changing roles of women, spanish civil war etc. These are all very interesting but naturally lots of statistics are involved!
3) the speaking is 20 minutes long. You have to back up virtually every point with statistics and facts
4) you study a book and a film. Possibly the best part of the course for me! You then write essays about what you studied in spanish in the exam like an English lit essay
5) translations have to be perfect to get marks
6) I do Edexcel and we study tourism, Hispanic culture, literature and film, environment, social changes, politics, immigration, Cuban missile crisis, rhe civil war... there is lots if history involved

Spanish is extremely hard to begin with but ive noticed I have progressed so so much! People ask whether if I could change my mind about picking spanish if I'd drop it, but I would say whilst it's the bane of my existence at times, I love it and I'm sure you will too!!
wallflowerannie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bluebells1)
OH BOY
WELL

OK in all seriousness, Spanish is an extremely useful a level to have and it's so good you're considering it!
Things to consider:

1) it is HARD - it will be the biggest jump in a subject you'll notice. Vocab gets much harder, speaking and listening are insane, and the standards are high - like native standard high
2) at gcse you do lots of general spanish, whereas at a level you study a lot of Spanish politics and societal changes such as Franco's dictatorship, transition to democracy, changing roles of women, spanish civil war etc. These are all very interesting but naturally lots of statistics are involved!
3) the speaking is 20 minutes long. You have to back up virtually every point with statistics and facts
4) you study a book and a film. Possibly the best part of the course for me! You then write essays about what you studied in spanish in the exam like an English lit essay
6) I do Edexcel and we study tourism, Hispanic culture, literature and film, environment, social changes, politics, immigration, Cuban missile crisis, rhe civil war... there is lots if history involved

Spanish is extremely hard to begin with but ive noticed I have progressed so so much! People ask whether if I could change my mind about picking spanish if I'd drop it, but I would say whilst it's the bane of my existence at times, I love it and I'm sure you will too!!
This is so true!! Like it was always one of my hardest A levels, but it is now the one I'm most proud of doing! If you like literature and history, to any degree at all, then you will enjoy it a lot!! <3 It can be a bit of a struggle with the grammar, such as learning the subjunctive tenses, the indirect and direct object (they were particularly hard for me!), but you get the hang of it eventually!! It's an amazing a level to have!!
sbrc2148
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is very very hard but if you enjoyed it at gcse and you’re willing to put the work in then I’d say go for it! But it’s one of those subjects that you can’t just ‘wing’. You’re going to have to be dedicated for the whole 2 years. I got an A at GCSE and I’m struggling to get D’s at Alevel 😭
3pointonefour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bluebells1)
OH BOY
WELL

Things to consider:

Sounds like the twisted love child of English Literature, History and, well... Spanish.
So I guess I'll be enjoying the next 2 years since I'm taking Spanish as well
DrMemegood
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At my college, they started with the basics in A-level Spanish just to get rid of any fundamental errors (so we spent the first half term going through tenses that we'd already learnt at GCSE). I also feel like with A-level Spanish they try to actually get you to learn and understand the language for yourself, rather than learn enough phrases in weird tenses for a decent grade. Also, the better you get at Spanish, the easier it is to learn as you start to pick up on the patterns. The topics covered at A-level are also really interesting and all in all it's pretty rewarding. You should probably look at the course offered by the specific college/sixth-form you're applying to before you decide.
ions
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I won't lie, the gap is massive, especially if your school didn't bother to properly teach you grammar because you don't really need it for GCSE. But it's interesting and very useful, especially if you keep it up
Alicezworld
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's so good that you're considering Spanish for A level.

From my experience in Yr 12, Spanish is definitely harder than in GCSE and it is absolutely fundamental that you really keep up with your grammar (especially important for translations and writing essays)!

It's basically similar to GCSE English literature as you have to write 2 essays (fairly short in length) on a particular theme / character... (I do Edexcel)

The speaking exams are also harder than in GCSE (obvs) and longer since you actually talk about serious issues and themes e.g history and you have support it with stats, unlike in GCSE where the orals are more general and they solely focus on you e.g routines or holidays etc...

Good luck!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed