The Student Room Group

Oxford Colleges Help!!!!

I’m really confused regarding oxford colleges and what role they play in university life. Is it where I will have lectures and tutorials. Are some colleges better than others?
The college you end up at really isn’t that important (it’s nice to be close to the department you’re applying to though). Some colleges allow you to stay within college accommodation for the whole duration of your course, which can also be good. The colleges are where you eat and sleep.

Tutorials take place within the college, with tutors from the college, but lectures take place at the department building.
Original post by officialzak_2001
I’m really confused regarding oxford colleges and what role they play in university life. Is it where I will have lectures and tutorials. Are some colleges better than others?

The easiest way to understand Oxford colleges is like Harry Potter Houses, its just the university cut down into smaller student communities. These communities share the same accomodation, dining hall and college library (everyone can use Oxford's many libraries). It means you can make friends with plenty of people who don't do your course.

The one to one tutorials do happen on a college level, as faculty members are divided into colleges too. So if you applied to St. Hilda's you can expect to have all modules taught in college to be taught by the academics from Hilda's. They're also likely to be the ones who interview you for a place! (Unless you're reallocated to another college before interviews). For some subjects, however, it is common to be taught by tutors from a variety of colleges. This means that the college you choose will usually have a small impact on your teaching. Students from all colleges do well in their exams so the quality of teaching is very much the same.

Lectures happen on a faculty or university level, so rather than going to a tutor's office you'd go to wherever the lecture was held. The proffessors and teachers at individual colleges will give university wide lectures as well.

College choice is largely down to personal preference, so whether some are better than others largely depends on you.

If you want a college that has, over the years, been one of the best academically then Merton, New, Magdalen, St. John's and Balliol are good choices. Please note there are HUGE variations year on year between colleges relative standing in terms of their results. Merton is stereotyped as the place where 'fun goes to die' and St. John's and Magdalen students have admitted to me they think they think they're expected to work harder. Its a minor difference though as everyone at Oxford has a huge workload.

Wealthy colleges might have cheaper accomodation and meals. They might also have formal dinners more frequently. Some may also give grants that all students are entitled to. The age of the college is another factor. Some people like going to Univ or Merton as they can say their college is one of the oldest. So consider if you want an older looking college, that tend to be more central, or a newer one, which might have formal halls less frequently and be a little further out (though I'd say apart from Lady Margaret Hall, St. Hilda's and St. Hughes every college is very central).

This college suggester is the best tool you can have for choosing a college:
http://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/suggester/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending