The Student Room Group

Feeling tired every day?

Recently (for the past 2 or 3 months) I have just felt stupidly tired every day and I don't know how to change it?

I cut out coffee and I thought that was what it was at the start but surely that can't last for more than a week or two? I drink plenty of water each day, I'm quite sporty and run 3-4 times a week.

I usually get enough sleep, not always, but usually at least 6-7 hours, I avoid caffeine - actually started doing that to stop having energy drops but now it just seems like I'm constantly tired :frown: I've tried eating healthier but every day I seem to feel ridiculously tired. I have the most energy when I first wake up and run and then a few hours after that I find myself struggling to stay awake??

Are there any diets, foods or any advice that anyone could recommend for waking myself up? Or any idea on what this could be?

*I will admit that although I eat healthy most of the time, I do find it hard to stick to meal times and sometimes skip altogether so I'm wondering if that could be the issue, just strange because I've always been like that and the problem has only just started.
Original post by georgiewhitez10
Recently (for the past 2 or 3 months) I have just felt stupidly tired every day and I don't know how to change it?

I cut out coffee and I thought that was what it was at the start but surely that can't last for more than a week or two? I drink plenty of water each day, I'm quite sporty and run 3-4 times a week.

I usually get enough sleep, not always, but usually at least 6-7 hours, I avoid caffeine - actually started doing that to stop having energy drops but now it just seems like I'm constantly tired :frown: I've tried eating healthier but every day I seem to feel ridiculously tired. I have the most energy when I first wake up and run and then a few hours after that I find myself struggling to stay awake??

Are there any diets, foods or any advice that anyone could recommend for waking myself up? Or any idea on what this could be?

*I will admit that although I eat healthy most of the time, I do find it hard to stick to meal times and sometimes skip altogether so I'm wondering if that could be the issue, just strange because I've always been like that and the problem has only just started.

CANCER ! CANCER ! Jokes aside, a lot of things can cause that. I myself experience constant fatigue but normally having this vitamin B complex helps

maybe try running in the evening ad you seem to be tired after the run
Reply 3
Original post by steveeem
maybe try running in the evening ad you seem to be tired after the run

Yeah I could give that a try, I've just always put it as my highest priority so like to do it first thing but I might have to change that if it's that that is making me fall asleep at midday haha
Reply 4

Have you thought of going to your GP and asking for a blood test? Just in case you are short of certain Vitamins and minerals?
Reply 5
Original post by meenu89
Have you thought of going to your GP and asking for a blood test? Just in case you are short of certain Vitamins and minerals?

I have thought of that but wasn't sure if that would be me just being a bit dramatic haha but as it's lasting this long I have thought of that option a lot more just to see, so I think I'll do that thanks.
Reply 6
I have thought of that but wasn't sure if that would be me just being a bit dramatic haha but as it's lasting this long I have thought of that option a lot more just to see, so I think I'll do that thanks.

Could be a lack of Vit D, B12 and Iron, but a blood test will tell you that.
Reply 7
Try to stick to your meals, as you might burn more calories than you ingest and so your body might use its reserves. But firstly try to see a GP. You might have anaemia!!!
Reasons for lack of energy could be low in Iron, Vitamin D3, B12, low thyroid function.

You must go to your GP for blood tests to find out.

Do not neglect food as this is the bodies fuel to run on.
Perhaps as well take a general multi vitamin and mineral pill each day.
Reply 9

See your GP to check it isn't anything like vitamin levels. Vitamin D is easy to get deficient in cos you get most of it from the sun and we don't get enough sun in the UK for it really.
Get yourself checked out by GP then you can start trying stuff like diet or whatever.

You could also do with a bit more sleep tbh. See if you can get an extra hour and if that helps. Young people need more sleep than "proper" adults cos they are still doing more growing and developing.

If you are eating "healthier" you might also want to check you're eating enough calories and nutrients still. Eating healthy is obviously good, but if this came about around the time you changed diet it could mean it still needs a bit of tweaking.

Oh and be sure to drink loads of water or watery drinks like squash. Just a tiny bit of dehydration can rant thwack your energy.

Do check in with GP though cos that's a quick way to rule out our find a bunch of potential causes and they can also give you advice.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 10

With regards to vitamin D, you can just take a supplement without testing for deficient as most people are deficient in the UK, according to my GP. The NHS website (which is great for info on which supplements are worth taking and how much is unlikely to cause any harm) recommends everyone take 10mcg a day in Autumn and Winter, and all year round if you're not often exposed to the sun.

As others have said, your GP can check for things like low iron, diabetes, thyroid problems etc.

Different people need different amounts of sleep. If you have time e.g. a couple of weeks, it could be worth seeing how long you sleep for if you go to bed when you're tired and don't set an alarm. I find that I need around 9 hours sleep to not have a problem staying awake all day, and still be able to sleep easily at bedtime. I would be exhausted after just one night on 6-7 hours sleep! I may be ok for a few hours in the morning after 6 hours sleep, but would be falling asleep/headachy later in the day.

Stress can make you tired, too.

Keeping a diary of when you're tired e.g. which days, may be helpful, to identify any patterns to your tiredness, and hence likely causes. It may feel like you're tired all the time, but if you keep a diary, you may find you are less tired on some days than others.

Maybe also consider the types of food you eat. I find I am less tired if I get more of my energy from fats (e.g. meat, diary, nuts, avocado) rather than carbs (starches just convert to sugar).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I'm having sleeping problems as well, best thing to do right now is contact your GP and ask for a blood test as you may have a vitamin deficiency. Try not to drink any caffeinated drinks, drink herbal/green tea and lots of water, eat more fruits, try exercising, reduce the amount of time you use your phone/laptop etc, try to get to bed early. I hope your sleeping problem gets better :smile:

Quick Reply