Common historical myths debunked Watch

NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was told that King Cnut thought that the tide would obey him, in fact the opposite is true. Cnut demonstrated to his flattering courtiers that he has no control over the elements (the incoming tide), explaining that secular power is vain compared to the supreme power of God.

Name:  Canute_rebukes_his_courtiers.png
Views: 58
Size:  388.4 KB
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People in the middle ages didn't think the Earth was flat, nor was there religious persecution for saying that the Earth was round (surprisingly enough my Tudor history teacher got this wrong). Knowledge of a spherical Earth dates back thousands of years, with Eratosthenes calculating the circumference of the Earth in 200 BC surprisingly accurately. The Pope only threw a hissy fit when Galileo proposed that the Sun was at the centre of the universe, not the Earth.
username3883544
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The case for Brexit surely comes into that category, especially on the matter of trade deals with non EU countries.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
King Alfred burnt the cakes.... this is a piece of feminist propaganda highlighting the uselessness of men.

In fact Alfred ( fl 640 AD ) was a skilled cake maker and liked to give a tray of iced buns to his conquered enemies to show there were no hard feelings.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DSutch)
The case for Brexit surely comes into that category, especially on the matter of trade deals with non EU countries.
Did you comment in the wrong thread?
Royal Knight
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
King Harold receiving a fatal arrow in the eye at the Battle of Hastings. Modern historiography tends to prefer him being ridden down by Norman knights when the shield-wall began to break apart; it's even depicted as such on the Tapestry. Additionally, the figure shown with an arrow in his head might not even be depicting Harold himself, possibly one of his huscarls
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hitler was not elected. For some reason lots think he was
NJA
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The myth that Rome was the custodian and preservative civilized knowledge holding back the Dark Ages until the Barbarians sacked Rome. The reverse is true. Rome was largely responsible for the Dark Ages because it was The Great Destroyer of civilised knowledge. Consider the following quote from Renee Noorbergen:

"the Romans ruthlessness was an integral part of a wave of wanton destruction that struck the Library of Carthage in 146 BC reducing its irrepressible for a 500,000 volumes to ashes... the most devastating blow was struck when Julius Caesar burned the Athenaeum of Alexandria destroying 700,000 of the most valuable scientific works of the classical world".
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Contrary to popular belief, Jesus was a hippy from what is now Sweden.

This explains why he is often depicted as a blonde, bearded, long-haired man wearing sandals.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NJA)
The myth that Rome was the custodian and preservative civilized knowledge holding back the dark ages until the Barbarians sax Rome the reverse is true Rome was largely responsible for the dark ages because it was The Great Destroyer of civilised knowledge consider the following quote from Renee new Bergen the Romans ruthlessly was an integral part of the wave of wanton destruction that struck the Living library of Carthage in 146 BC reducing its irrepressible for a 500000 volume to ashes the most devastating blow was struck when Julius Caesar burnt the Athenaeum of Alexandria destroying 700000 of the most valuable scientific works of the classical world
The burning of the Alexandrian library is a bit of an uncertain event already. It seems to have been destroyed over and over - one story goes that the burning happened during the Arab invasions. I don't think it was a single event.
username3959912
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was taught in my country that we beat American but apparently, the truth is not. Vietnam agreed to get on the peace table (Paris accord) in 1972 when Nixon bombed Ha noi to the ground. US's objective was met, Viet cong agreed to cease fire Watergate scandal forced Nixon to resign, US retreated from the conference and US troops had to leave early leaving the South entirely vulnerable. In 1975, Viet cong made another assault and won the war.

So did North Vietnamese won the war? Yes
But did we beat the American? Nope.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the whole Lady Godiva story is a heap of cat poo. she just decided to wear a squirrel fur bikini one day as it was rather warm.
jkl345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NJA)
I was told that King Cnut thought that the tide would obey him, in fact the opposite is true. Cnut demonstrated to his flattering courtiers that he has no control over the elements (the incoming tide), explaining that secular power is vain compared to the supreme power of God.

Name:  Canute_rebukes_his_courtiers.png
Views: 58
Size:  388.4 KB
Historical myths include: the population replacement of the original Britons, the Anglo-Saxon invasion, the assassination of President Lincoln, the assassination of President Kennedy, the manned moon landings, the homicidal gas chambers, man-made global warming.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't reply to the above comment. Ignore them, nothing will annoy them more.
Milax1x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jkl345)
Historical myths include: the population replacement of the original Britons, the Anglo-Saxon invasion, the assassination of President Lincoln, the assassination of President Kennedy, the manned moon landings, the homicidal gas chambers, man-made global warming.
I think the thread is wanting verifiable debunks with hard evidence not your idea’s of the truth after hitting the crack pipe
jkl345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Milax1x)
I think the thread is wanting verifiable debunks with hard evidence not your idea’s of the truth after hitting the crack pipe
I assume you require hard evidence for the manned moon landings, not just some unnecessarily grainy images on TV (which by the way the originals have now been lost).
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Milax1x)
Stop replying. It's a waste of time.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sir Francis Drake was not playing bowls when the Armada was sighted. He was showing his favorite cabin boy a narwhal tusk.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the bear)
Sir Francis Drake was not playing bowls when the Armada was sighted. He was showing his favorite cabin boy a narwhal tusk.
No.

Drake he's in his hammock an' a thousand mile away,
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Colombus did not discover America
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (205)
23.51%
Pop (215)
24.66%
Jazz (33)
3.78%
Classical (49)
5.62%
Hip-Hop (167)
19.15%