a-levels for law

Watch this thread
Harry171
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've been thinking about pursing a career in law but idk what a-levels to pick. I'm thinking about doing maths, English lit and french but idk if these are impressive enough

Which a-levels are best for law??
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Harry171)
I've been thinking about pursing a career in law but idk what a-levels to pick. I'm thinking about doing maths, English lit and french but idk if these are impressive enough

Those should be fine as they’re all traditional facilitating subjects. You just need to make sure to get good grades
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Excellent collection.
Thomas Br
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Harry171)

These are appropriate A-Levels to pick if you want to pursue a career in law, particularly English literature as this helps with your essay writing skills and ability to form an argument. Some universities also offer a degree in Law with another language, such as French if that would interest you.

One thing I would say is that Maths is not relevant to the course contents at University in the slightest. If you have a passion for Maths and think you can do well in your Math exams, then go for it, if not, subjects like Politics, History or even Religious Studies (at a stretch) can all help prepare you for a career in law.

Personally, I found that studying Politics, History and English lit at A level benefited me greatly in my first year on my course. You'd be surprised how relevant Politics is to some aspects of the Law in the UK.

Good luck and study hard!
Compost
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Thomas Br)
One thing I would say is that Maths is not relevant to the course contents at University in the slightest.
Maths is one of the 3 most popular A levels for students studying Law at Russell Group universities* and some universities (e.g. some Cambridge colleges) have expressed a preference for Law applicants who have taken Maths A level as it shows an ability to think logically. I know 2 candidates who studied mainly Maths based subjects (e.g. Maths, Further Maths, Physics/Chemistry and an MFL) at A level who were given lower than average offers for Law from decent universities (Nottingham, Bristol., Birmingham...) because of the A levels they were studying.

*The others being English Lit and History
Thomas Br
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
Maths is one of the 3 most popular A levels for students studying Law at Russell Group universities* and some universities (e.g. some Cambridge colleges) have expressed a preference for Law applicants who have taken Maths A level as it shows an ability to think logically. I know 2 candidates who studied mainly Maths based subjects (e.g. Maths, Further Maths, Physics/Chemistry and an MFL) at A level who were given lower than average offers for Law from decent universities (Nottingham, Bristol., Birmingham...) because of the A levels they were studying.

*The others being English Lit and History
Well, I'm only speaking from experience here.

Whilst I do not doubt that Math teaches one the ability to think logically, this is not to say that this skill cannot be learned in taking other, more relevant A-Levels, such as History for example.

For instance, in the likes of History or English literature A Level, the skill to think logically is of course taught and encouraged, but the ability to form a coherent argument is improved upon fundamentally, and equally, these A Levels place a much greater focus on essay writing and analysing texts, which to me as a law student, is a much more useful skill than knowing pythagoras theorem.
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Id just do all facilitating subjects and you can basically choose whichever facilitating subjects you like. Your options seem good.
Compost
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Whilst I do not doubt that Math teaches one the ability to think logically, this is not to say that this skill cannot be learned in taking other, more relevant A-Levels, such as History for example.

For instance, in the likes of History or English literature A Level, the skill to think logically is of course taught and encouraged, but the ability to form a coherent argument is improved upon fundamentally, and equally, these A Levels place a much greater focus on essay writing and analysing texts, which to me as a law student, is a much more useful skill than knowing pythagoras theorem.
I never suggested that an essay subject wasn't a good idea for Law, I merely the OP's intention of taking Maths as well as one was a positive, not an impediment, and gave reasons. (I would dispute your assertion that English Literature teaches you to think logically and you seemed to reduce my point that Maths teaches you logical skills which are an asset to Law by equating it to learning a Year 8 theorem but I bow to your superior reasoning skills as a Law student.).
Pugglet
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Basically as long as you get good grades your subjects don’t matter too much
Thomas Br
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
I never suggested that an essay subject wasn't a good idea for Law, I merely the OP's intention of taking Maths as well as one was a positive, not an impediment, and gave reasons. (I would dispute your assertion that English Literature teaches you to think logically and you seemed to reduce my point that Maths teaches you logical skills which are an asset to Law by equating it to learning a Year 8 theorem but I bow to your superior reasoning skills as a Law student.).
English literature does teach logical thinking, especially when considering how to approach an essay question or when analysing a body of given text.

I'm sorry that you interpreted my comment on Maths as equating it to lesser importance than it should be given, it's a great subject and a respected one at that, and this is not to say that it is obsolete when considering a career in Law. However, I believe that there are others that are more (key phrase here) *relevant* to Law as a subject and course.

Also, I'm sorry that you are upset, yet I do appreciate your acknowledgement of my 'superior reasoning skills as a law student.'
username3731912
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
English literature does teach logical thinking, especially when considering how to approach an essay question or when analysing a body of given text.

I'm sorry that you interpreted my comment on Maths as equating it to lesser importance than it should be given, it's a great subject and a respected one at that, and this is not to say that it is obsolete when considering a career in Law. However, I believe that there are others that are more (key phrase here) *relevant* to Law as a subject and course.

Also, I'm sorry that you are upset, yet I do appreciate your acknowledgement of my 'superior reasoning skills as a law student.'
most law applicants study maths. law unis have expressed they like students with maths a level/as.
Thomas Br
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anonymous1231231)
most law applicants study maths. law unis have expressed they like students with maths a level/as.
I'm glad that you didn't bother reading anything I said above.
username1628823
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Well, I'm only speaking from experience here.

Maths is the best A Level for law in my opinion and I did all the ones that you're saying are better. I study law at a good uni.
Jjjjznjsjsjwwnwn
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I concur with many above.

I have an offer to study Law at Churchill College, Cambridge

I studied Maths, Chemistry and Law. I would say it is important to have at least one essay subject to ensure you are equip with the writing skills that are necessary to embark on a subject such as Law. However, as someone else mentioned and from my own research when looking at colleges for Law, many did express that Maths and Sciences, although are not essential, are excellent preparation for a would-be lawyer as Law requires one to be analytical, logical and coherent in their reasoning which can be a skill obtained in a Science-based subject whether that is Math or Chemistry/Biology/Physics.

Therefore, in my opinion a combination of both essay and science subjects would be highly beneficial. However, any academic subject will suffice whether that is History, Geography, Politics or English because they too hone the requisite skills.
username3731912
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I'm glad that you didn't bother reading anything I said above.
lol i did, i just disagree with u saying its less relevant than another subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (18)
24.66%
The paper was reasonable (32)
43.84%
Not feeling great about that exam... (16)
21.92%
It was TERRIBLE (7)
9.59%

Watched Threads