Turn on thread page Beta

Debate: LGBT individuals more likely to be involved in a crash? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with the increased likelihood of a crash based on being LGBT?
    Yes, absolutely correct
    25.00%
    No, this is bizarre
    75.00%

ReputationRep:
    I have seen a few polls online questioning whether individuals at the wheel who are LGBT would be more likely to have a crash as opposed to straight males and females. I do NOT agree with this theory but I think it is an interesting talking point.

The real question is: how is there any link between being gay and operating a motor vehicle?

ReputationRep:
    RoyalSheepy IWMTom suzysues

ReputationRep:
    Bizarre theory. Although we will never know, I would expect LGBT people to be less likely to be involved in crashes overall. Less likely to be driving with children who can distract them, less likely to be as aggressive as some male drivers, and more likely to be urban dwellers who can or do use public transport more. Also perhaps there will be a period of time with fewer older gay men given the numbers who died from HIV/Aids before medicine to control HIV was available- older people are more at risk of accidents when driving whilst not medically fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DSutch)
    Bizarre theory. Although we will never know, I would expect LGBT people to be less likely to be involved in crashes overall. Less likely to be driving with children who can distract them, less likely to be as aggressive as some male drivers, and more likely to be urban dwellers who can or do use public transport more. Also perhaps there will be a period of time with fewer older gay men given the numbers who died from HIV/Aids before medicine to control HIV was available- older people are more at risk of accidents when driving whilst not medically fit.
    Some good points here. And, yeah, older people are more at risk than those of the LGBT community.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BusinessExpert)
    I have seen a few polls online questioning whether individuals at the wheel who are LGBT would be more likely to have a crash as opposed to straight males and females. I do NOT agree with this theory but I think it is an interesting talking point.

The real question is: how is there any link between being gay and operating a motor vehicle?
    What. The. Hell.

Where have you seen this...
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    The things people come up with to hide their homophobia :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Is there an actual statistic about this somewhere or is it just the ravings of a madman?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    What. The. Hell.

Where have you seen this...
    I can't seem to find the link but the poll was based on this article:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ragic-10808638

What do you think about these kinds of people at the wheel?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I can't seem to find the link but the poll was based on this article:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ragic-10808638

What do you think about these kinds of people at the wheel?
    The same way I feel about everyone else at the wheel? They should get off of my private racetrack.

ReputationRep:
    The same way I feel about everyone else at the wheel? They should get off of my private racetrack.
    Is that a little dig at them or have I misunderstood?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Is that a little dig at them or have I misunderstood?
    You've misunderstood.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Your thread is bizarre. Unless you have some credible accident data, then I would think there is no credibility to the idea.

ReputationRep:
    How would this work?

Do satnavs indicate nearby homosexual drivers now?

ReputationRep:
    How would being LGBT impact your ability to drive a car?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You've misunderstood.
    Ah, right. I would think so considering homophobia is strictly against the rules of TSR.

ReputationRep:
    What the actual ****?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katf)
    How would being LGBT impact your ability to drive a car?
    Again, like the original post, I do not agree with these ideas but if being anything other than straight is considered a mental illness, then the DVLA should be notified - that's the first point.

Secondly, the idea of being LGBT affecting one's ability to drive might be because of distractions and extreme mood swings (if these people are deemed to be mentally ill).

I think it's just another ridiculous theory from those who are homophobic.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Again, like the original post, I do not agree with these ideas but if being anything other than straight is considered a mental illness, then the DVLA should be notified - that's the first point.
    :rofl:
    you really are clueless arent you, as someone with an actual mental illness who has had to get my psychiatrist to sign forms about my ability to drive i can assure you that being LGBT has no impact whatsoever :borat:

ReputationRep:

Secondly, the idea of being LGBT affecting one's ability to drive might be because of distractions and extreme mood swings (if these people are deemed to be mentally ill).

I think it's just another ridiculous theory from those who are homophobic.
    Pretty certain the fact that I've slept with women is nothing to do with mental illness. Actually, it was rather pleasurable. Extreme mood swings are a symptom of bipolar disorder, not being bisexual. Definitely just another excuse for being homophobic.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    :rofl:
    you really are clueless arent you, as someone with an actual mental illness who has had to get my psychiatrist to sign forms about my ability to drive i can assure you that being LGBT has no impact whatsoever :borat:
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am not entirely familiar with the rules to drive but I know that the individual must inform the DVLA in regards to any changes in health (I'm not sure about mental health).

I hear that being LGBT is a mental illness, which I know it's not because it hasn't been proven.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.