Do you tend to take career into account when dating? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
My brother is going out with a woman who is a healthcare assistant but when I was speaking to 2 of his friends they were saying he could do better than her really and one said he thought he would go for someone who was qualified in something. Do you tend to select people based on job?
JamieK03
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It’s not something I tend to be bothered about.

Of course if his profession is a drug dealer or anything of that sorts then that’s a whole other story.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's quite unfair to judge someone based on their job unless it's really extreme. It sounds like his friends are snobby tbh I personally focus more on someone's ambition rather than their actual job.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I take everything into account. For example I work from home so I know that if I was dating someone who was unemployed (been there, done that) it would annoy me when I was working so hard. Unless of course he lost his job while we were together and was trying hard to gain employment.

I would also worry about dating someone with a really demanding job, as I like to be able to spend time together and I know that I wouldn't do well with a partner who didn't have much time for me.

So it works both ways. You have to find someone who fits in with your lifestyle and what you are looking for, and to say that career is irrelevant just isn't true.

I would never say "no, you're not successful enough" before deciding whether or not to date someone, though.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (634)
91.09%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (62)
8.91%

Watched Threads