The Student Room Group

Second year student midwife

Hello👋,

I'm very close to starting the second year of my midwifery degree. Everyone I've spoken to has said that this year will be the hardest. Does anyone have any advice on how to combat this year?

Also if any prospective student midwives or soon to be student midwives want to ask any questions about the course/placement then feel free to ask
Original post by Somalistmw
Hello👋,

I'm very close to starting the second year of my midwifery degree. Everyone I've spoken to has said that this year will be the hardest. Does anyone have any advice on how to combat this year?

Also if any prospective student midwives or soon to be student midwives want to ask any questions about the course/placement then i free to ask

Hi,

I'm starting a midwifery degree in September. Is there anything you would recommend me buying prior to starting eg books, equipment, things to prepare me for uni? X
Reply 2
Original post by Beccalouise0901
Hi,

I'm starting a midwifery degree in September. Is there anything you would recommend me buying prior to starting eg books, equipment, things to prepare me for uni? X

Hello,
I didn't buy any textbooks before I started university just because I wanted to see what the lecturers recommended. Also, u can visit your uni library and see what books you like E. G. Mayes/Myles.

Other than that you just require the usual stationery but I would advise you to buy a diary so that you can keep organised. I've never been someone who used to use a diary but now I do just because of how busy you will be during the year with essays and placement.

Also for placement, you need a fob watch and I would recommend a little A6 notebook that you can jot things down on to research later. You will defo need this especially in your first few placements when everything is new.

Most of all, enjoy it! It goes by so fast and before you know it you will be a qualified Midwife x
Hello,
I didn't buy any textbooks before I started university just because I wanted to see what the lecturers recommended. Also, u can visit your uni library and see what books you like E. G. Mayes/Myles.

Other than that you just require the usual stationery but I would advise you to buy a diary so that you can keep organised. I've never been someone who used to use a diary but now I do just because of how busy you will be during the year with essays and placement.

Also for placement, you need a fob watch and I would recommend a little A6 notebook that you can jot things down on to research later. You will defo need this especially in your first few placements when everything is new.

Most of all, enjoy it! It goes by so fast and before you know it you will be a qualified Midwife x

Thankyou so much. I did think I didn't want to be buying lots of books and them being the wrong ones so I will take your advise and wait.

I will definately need a diary, something I've never bothered with it but sounds like I'm going to need.

Thankyou for your advise I can't wait to get started x
Reply 4
Original post by Beccalouise0901
Thankyou so much. I did think I didn't want to be buying lots of books and them being the wrong ones so I will take your advise and wait.

I will definately need a diary, something I've never bothered with it but sounds like I'm going to need.

Thankyou for your advise I can't wait to get started x

One thing that I did before I started my course was write a letter to my future self stating why I wanted to study the course etc and it was for me to read when it got tough. Because you will think of leaving the course at some point, which is fine as long as you don't stay in that funk for long. I read this letter at those times when mentors were being hostile towards me or I doubted myself. It really got me through first year and I would defo recommend you writing one for yourself x
One thing that I did before I started my course was write a letter to my future self stating why I wanted to study the course etc and it was for me to read when it got tough. Because you will think of leaving the course at some point, which is fine as long as you don't stay in that funk for long. I read this letter at those times when mentors were being hostile towards me or I doubted myself. It really got me through first year and I would defo recommend you writing one for yourself x

Thankyou that's a really good idea. I had days like that at college and having a letter to read back on would have given me such a push. I will definately be doing this x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending