Pregnant and due to start uni in September Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am 5 months pregnant, and I am due to start a 3 year course in September. The babies father is still in the picture and we are living together in a private rental. Financially we are relatively stable, as we currently have jobs and the support of family.
I called my uni to discuss what I should do and they just brushed it off and said that we would sort everything out in September. I am concerned that that won't leave enough time for deadlines and exams to be worked out in time for the babies arrival. Does anybody have any advice??
I am aware of the implications of havuing a child at this time and how hard it will be for me and my partner.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it may be best to put your education on hold for a while.
amihalo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you mean by 'deadlines and exams to be worked out'? The deadlines and exams will be fixed and you will have to make exceptional/mitigating circumstances claims to take them at a different time if they clash with the baby's arrival.
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Same question as above, it is on you to work around the exams and deadlines, not the Uni.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Defering for a year could be a good idea, as some childcare wont take children until they are a certain age.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They'll give you an extenuating circumstances thing so you can do the exams when they better suit you. They'll have plenty of time to work out the deadlines.
Padfoot22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you google “pregnant student” and the name of your university, it should come up with a page on the website of your university with information about their stance on it. Most unis seem pretty supportive, and once you get to uni you can talk to your personal tutor about your options. They’ll also give you advice about the childcare grants and other help you and your partner can receive as a full time student parent. Is your partner also a student?
username4186922
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Same questions here.

I was just wondering, do uni have exams in October/ November time too?

I'd say take a gap year which is what I'm planning to do.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Professional G)
How old are you and your partner? I mean if you are 18, you should have used protection. Anyway it may be best to put your education on hold for a while.
Nobody needs to be told they should've used protection. I think they know now and it's a bit too late for that advice tbf. **** happens.
millie14121998
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Professional G)
How old are you and your partner? I mean if you are 18, you should have used protection. Anyway it may be best to put your education on hold for a while.
We are both 19 soon to be 20, we did use protection.
millie14121998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by a michael)
dont be selfish either stay at home and look after your baby or have an abortion
How is wanting to ensure my baby will have a better future selfish? and also abortion would never be an option.
millie14121998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JustMeIDK)
Same questions here.

I was just wondering, do uni have exams in October/ November time too?

I'd say take a gap year which is what I'm planning to do.
no I have exams in January only and my assignment deadlines can be altered by the uni, taking a gap year isn't financially possible as we don't live with parents.
millie14121998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by amihalo)
What do you mean by 'deadlines and exams to be worked out'? The deadlines and exams will be fixed and you will have to make exceptional/mitigating circumstances claims to take them at a different time if they clash with the baby's arrival.
The university have already spoken to me and said they will move any assignment deadlines and my exams are not until January.
millie14121998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
They'll give you an extenuating circumstances thing so you can do the exams when they better suit you. They'll have plenty of time to work out the deadlines.
Thank you
millie14121998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Padfoot22)
If you google “pregnant student” and the name of your university, it should come up with a page on the website of your university with information about their stance on it. Most unis seem pretty supportive, and once you get to uni you can talk to your personal tutor about your options. They’ll also give you advice about the childcare grants and other help you and your partner can receive as a full time student parent. Is your partner also a student?
Yes he will be at the same university, and thank you.
YaliaV
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would it be possible to go part-time?
millie14121998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
Would it be possible to go part-time?
I already looked into this but financially no, as I would lose quite a lot of my maintenance loan making it lower than what I need to pay out.
username4186922
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Nobody needs to be told they should've used protection. I think they know now and it's a bit too late for that advice tbf. **** happens.
I agree
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Two girls in my class got pregnant towards the end of 1st year/beginning of second year. They did very well, and the university had measures in place i.e. extensions etc so that they could complete and they both did.
I thought my generation was judgemental but some of the stuff on this thread is just plain ignorant. And so many saints too which must be really hard work.
millie14121998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Seamus123)
Two girls in my class got pregnant towards the end of 1st year/beginning of second year. They did very well, and the university had measures in place i.e. extensions etc so that they could complete and they both did.
I thought my generation was judgemental but some of the stuff on this thread is just plain ignorant. And so many saints too which must be really hard work.
Thank you, I just wanted a little reassurance 😁
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.48%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.84%
Terrified (381)
22.22%
Meh (170)
9.91%
Confused (37)
2.16%