The Student Room Group

German applicant- what grades should I provide?

Hello everyone, I'm a German A-level student now entering my final year and hoping to study Mathematics in Scotland for 2019 entry. This week I started looking into the ucas application process, but there is still one question I couldn't quite find the answer for. The German Abitur is fundamentally different from British A-levels: I am currently studying 12 subjects, however only 6 of those are of relevance for my final Abitur grade (these are: German, English (intensive level), Maths (intensive level), Physics (intensive level), Politics, Art). Additional grades of the other 6 subjects are taken into account when raising the overall average (this is the case for me with two additional subjects). To further complicate the matter, I will take my final Abitur examination (which is a third of the overall average) in only 4 subjects. As you might imagine, I am now quite confused as to which grades I should state in the application; stating all of my semester grades including pending grades and final examination grades would lead to 52 modules listed. Are there any Germans here who already successfully applied who could maybe help me out here? Thanks in advance!
Original post by x.laura
Hello everyone, I'm a German A-level student now entering my final year and hoping to study Mathematics in Scotland for 2019 entry. This week I started looking into the ucas application process, but there is still one question I couldn't quite find the answer for. The German Abitur is fundamentally different from British A-levels: I am currently studying 12 subjects, however only 6 of those are of relevance for my final Abitur grade (these are: German, English (intensive level), Maths (intensive level), Physics (intensive level), Politics, Art). Additional grades of the other 6 subjects are taken into account when raising the overall average (this is the case for me with two additional subjects). To further complicate the matter, I will take my final Abitur examination (which is a third of the overall average) in only 4 subjects. As you might imagine, I am now quite confused as to which grades I should state in the application; stating all of my semester grades including pending grades and final examination grades would lead to 52 modules listed. Are there any Germans here who already successfully applied who could maybe help me out here? Thanks in advance!

Check the university's Germany pages for their standard offer/requirements for people with the Abitur for your subject. That should give you an indication about the level of detail you need to provide.

If they need more information then they can always ask for more

Quick Reply

Latest