iota0562
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Having got a 1st in economics at the University of Leeds, and completing an internship at EY, I have been offered a graduate role in Corporate tax in the Deloitte Manchester office. I was exited to start and thought I landed myself a great job but the salary is only £21,000. I dont want to sound entitled and naive but I was kinda expecting it to be more around the 25k mark, particularly as I know the work-life balance isn't the best. I feel it'd be crazy to pass up on this opportunity but at the same time feel it may not be that big of an opportunity after all - maybe I could a better job elsewhere? Thoughts?

Thanks for everyone's response in advance
hanley9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by iota0562)
Having got a 1st in economics at the University of Leeds, and completing an internship at EY, I have been offered a graduate role in Corporate tax in the Deloitte Manchester office. I was exited to start and thought I landed myself a great job but the salary is only £21,000. I dont want to sound entitled and naive but I was kinda expecting it to be more around the 25k mark, particularly as I know the work-life balance isn't the best. I feel it'd be crazy to pass up on this opportunity but at the same time feel it may not be that big of an opportunity after all - maybe I could a better job elsewhere? Thoughts?

I agree that the starting salary at these firms is quite poor, however, pay increases quite rapidly, particularly upon qualification. Your career will advance much more quickly at a firm like Deloitte, compared to starting in industry. You will receive very good training too, which is a significant cost that is paid by your employer. Finally, having the name on your CV will help your career massively.

If first-year salary is so important to you, then I'd suggest looking elsewhere because starting in industry pays quite a bit higher.
iota0562
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by hanley9)
I agree that the starting salary at these firms is quite poor, however, pay increases quite rapidly, particularly upon qualification. Your career will advance much more quickly at a firm like Deloitte, compared to starting in industry. You will receive very good training too, which is a significant cost that is paid by your employer. Finally, having the name on your CV will help your career massively.

If first-year salary is so important to you, then I'd suggest looking elsewhere because starting in industry pays quite a bit higher.
I definitely need to focus on all the things you said rather than largely focusing on starting salary. Think I'll go for it at Deloitte. Thanks mate

(Any other opinions would also be great though)
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I was also gutted for my friend. She was offered 20k by another big4 for Nottingham for the corporate finance division and she is expected to travel alot

Its quite frustrating because in america graduates start on $60k at the big4 and abit less in germany.

Big4 havnt changed their starting salaries for 5+ years. Even utility companies pay 26k to graduates and they dont even make that much money

I guess the upside is, it looks amazing on your cv(many industry jobs ask for big4 experience) and treat it as a 3 year internship
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I definitely need to focus on all the things you said rather than largely focusing on starting salary. Think I'll go for it at Deloitte. Thanks mate

(Any other opinions would also be great though)
As it's a grad role, I'm guessing its starting either very soon this summer or it'll be next summer? If its the latter, what about accepting the offer and then looking elsewhere for better pay whilst you have the security of a back up option? If you find something better you can always renege on the Big4 offer later, it's awkward but there's nothing inherently wrong about it. You're basically hedging your bets, just be careful about how you go about it and be sure to check out the fine print of your contract.

I'm a computer scientist so we're talking about very different career paths here, but all of my internships were in the finance industry (investment banks) until this point and let's just say I saw this kind of tactic extremely often from graduates. At the end of the day, it's just business and you have a right to explore your options no matter what subsection of finance it is.

Just don't do the silly thing by declining the job before you have physically signed the contract of an alternative. Give yourself the security! This is still a fantastic opportunity and you don't want to throw that away unless you categorically have something to replace it.

Also, as a final bit of advice: ask yourself how much the money means to you. I took a £14k pay cut for my dream job this year. At face value that sounds ****ing insane, right? But without going into details I am slightly better off financially for this (namely locational and commute differences). Another factor was that the company itself has insane brand power for my CV, so you should really think about whether that applies to you in this situation too! I don't know much myself about this side of the finance industry, but you've done fantastically well to land a Big 4 firm! Still, don't let that stop you from exploring your options whilst using this for security.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (358)
66.79%
No (178)
33.21%

Watched Threads