Would this be considered vegan? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone!

I'm moving towards a vegan lifestyle, however I wanted to know if I could/can't call myself vegan if I keep leather products that I bought before this transition? For example a leather handbag, a wool jumper etc. It seems a waste to get rid of them for the sake of it, but if I don't get rid of them as well as stop consuming any animal products from here on out, would I be vegan? If not I do appreciate that I can't deem myself as a vegan but rather someone who simply doesn't eat or consume any animal products any longer.

Genuinely unsure and would appreciate any advice. Many thanks!
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That’s absolutely fine!

Some people would throw them out due to personal preference, it might make them uncomfortable, but the way that it’s looked at by some is that it’s already been paid for, so why not make use of it? It doesn’t belittle your veganism in any way or make you a “fake” one. It’s totally logical, and makes sense as buying new stuff is hella expensive!
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Vegan just means somebody that does not consume meat, dairy or eggs.
There are some vegans that eat honey.
I know a few vegans that wear animal fur and leather.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
throwing those items out would be disrespectful to the animals that provided them to you. if anyone gives you a hard time, you tell them that.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Vegan just means somebody that does not consume meat, dairy or eggs.
There are some vegans that eat honey.
I know a few vegans that wear animal fur and leather.
They're not vegans then, vegans don't eat meat, dairy or eggs, they don't use leather products, don't use products tested on animals and don't eat honey, they're just plantbased eaters. Veganism is more of an activist like feminism or such, this is what I think they are but I guess it's all confusing as there is loads of different types
imdying123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there )
I think that is absolutely fine and you can definitely call yourself vegan. I own some things that I bought before I turned and it would be a waste to throw them away.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (112)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.22%
Not great so far... (226)
35.76%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.3%

Watched Threads