Turn on thread page Beta

Entry to Medical school watch

ReputationRep:
    My daughter in A level has A in chemistry and B in Maths and A in Art, she had A in Biology in AS level and In GCS 5 Stars and 5 A.
    She dropped Biology in A level.
    What are the chances of getting to medical school.
    She wants to do medicine and does she need to Complete her biology in A level and also does she need to Retake maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vkumar65)
    My daughter in A level has A in chemistry and B in Maths and A in Art, she had A in Biology in AS level and In GCS 5 Stars and 5 A.
    She wants to do medicine and does she need to Complete her biology in A level and also does she need to Retake maths.
    Hi,

I'm in year 12 right now, so i'm not an expert, but can you give me more clear details on her grades?

has she done any A-levels yet? or is it that she got AAAB at AS?

And what did she get in GCSE maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RickHendricks)
    Hi,

I'm in year 12 right now, so i'm not an expert, but can you give me more clear details on her grades?

Either A or A*. Are you asking for specific grade? I think OP was talking about A-Level Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    Either A or A*. Are you asking for specific grade? I think OP was talking about A-Level Maths.
    Im confused with her grades. I'm not sure whether she got A at alevel or AS and about her maths grade.

ReputationRep:
    Im confused with her grades. I'm not sure whether she got A at alevel or AS and about her maths grade.
    OP had basically told us:
    GCSE’s- 5A* 5A
    AS-Level- A (Biology)
    A-Level- AAB (Chemistry, Fine Art and Maths)
    She has a B in Maths and OP is asking if her daughter should re-take it for Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Why'd she drop biology , and not maths?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    She Completed A level and got A in chemistry, B in maths and A in Art and wanted to try fashion design which she completed one year of diploma. She didn't find it was her cup of tea.
    Now thinking of to join medicine because she has seen Mom and Dad is working as Doctor.
    She has A* in maths in GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    Why'd she drop biology , and not maths?
    She originally thought would pursue in fashion designing but after doing one year realised not her likings. she was some how got discouraged with Biology teaching in the school even though she was good and got A in Biology in AS level. She decided not to take bIology in A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    OP had basically told us:
    GCSE’s- 5A* 5A
    AS-Level- A (Biology)
    A-Level- AAB (Chemistry, Fine Art and Maths)
    She has a B in Maths and OP is asking if her daughter should re-take it for Medicine.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Do you think just Chemistry and Maths is fine for medicine or need 3 subjects Biology also.
    I doubt university consider art scoring into consideration for medical schooling.

ReputationRep:
    The standard entry for medicine is AAA so she falls short unfortunately.
    In addition some unis will not accept her if she retakes.

The chances are low but if she can do biology A2 and get an A I think she could do it.
    My advice is to contact potential unis, hear what they have to say.

Also I assume you are aware that she would have to do an admissions test (UKCAT) and get a high score to have a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice.
    Do you think just Chemistry and Maths is fine for medicine or need 3 subjects Biology also.
    I doubt university consider art scoring into consideration for medical schooling.
    I think you should research for medical schools which don’t require the full A-Level in Biology but AS Biology. There are quite a few medical schools which will accept this. Since medical schools want AAA or above, I’d recommend to either re-take Maths for an A or above or take A2 Biology and achieve an A grade or above.

Bearing in mind, medical schools don’t like it when applicants re-take A-Levels so I’d suggest to do Biology.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.