Is repeating & redoing year 12 the right thing for me to do?

Watch
username3528400
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This year I did year 12 & took a set of AS exams in Psychology, Business & Economics to which I’m awaiting my results of. I’ve always been very academic - got top gcse’s & was achieving super high in my a-level courses to start with. But this year, both my mental & physical health took a down turn & have hindered me significantly. I continued with college up until after the AS exams ended in May just gone but didn’t return after half term as i was required to temporarily pull out of schooling by doctors for medical reasons.
I am recovering now slowly & do have the goal to get back to school in September, but i now don’t know whether or not to continue on into year 13 or stop & restart completely with year 12 again.
My mum & dad are really keen on me redoing & repeating year 12 as they think I’m not ready to deal with the pressures of year 13 & I’ve missed so much work these past few weeks & uni stuff etc that it would be very hard for me to go on to achieve the top grades I’d like to & know i can achieve in full health. They think it will just help give me time to recover fully & then give things my best shot a year later - achieve exactly what i want to achieve, build up my extra curricular & just enjoy things without too much pressure too soon. I can see where they are coming from, but at the same time part of me feels i should just push on to year 13 in September & just do as good as i can & get out/finish when i am meant to. I guess I’m unsure & worried if redoing year 12 will affect me later in life or not/my opportunities. Will it affect me when applying to top Russel group universities or higher degree apprenticeships? Will future employers see me different as i repeated a year? Do i re-do the year with the same subjects or am i best to change maybe one or two as i dont feel confident in my original options this year anyway?
If i repeat there is the option to for me to change my subjects & take Economics, Psychology (or biology if there is no space) & Graphic design. There is also the option for me to switch back to my old high school.
Ive just got so many doubts & feel so lost not knowing what to do - I’m really unsure & worried for September. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sfinn)
This year I did year 12 & took a set of AS exams in Psychology, Business & Economics to which I’m awaiting my results of. I’ve always been very academic - got top gcse’s & was achieving super high in my a-level courses to start with. But this year, both my mental & physical health took a down turn & have hindered me significantly. I continued with college up until after the AS exams ended in May just gone but didn’t return after half term as i was required to temporarily pull out of schooling by doctors for medical reasons.
I am recovering now slowly & do have the goal to get back to school in September, but i now don’t know whether or not to continue on into year 13 or stop & restart completely with year 12 again.
My mum & dad are really keen on me redoing & repeating year 12 as they think I’m not ready to deal with the pressures of year 13 & I’ve missed so much work these past few weeks & uni stuff etc that it would be very hard for me to go on to achieve the top grades I’d like to & know i can achieve in full health. They think it will just help give me time to recover fully & then give things my best shot a year later - achieve exactly what i want to achieve, build up my extra curricular & just enjoy things without too much pressure too soon. I can see where they are coming from, but at the same time part of me feels i should just push on to year 13 in September & just do as good as i can & get out/finish when i am meant to. I guess I’m unsure & worried if redoing year 12 will affect me later in life or not/my opportunities. Will it affect me when applying to top Russel group universities or higher degree apprenticeships? Will future employers see me different as i repeated a year? Do i re-do the year with the same subjects or am i best to change maybe one or two as i dont feel confident in my original options this year anyway?
If i repeat there is the option to for me to change my subjects & take Economics, Psychology (or biology if there is no space) & Graphic design. There is also the option for me to switch back to my old high school.
Ive just got so many doubts & feel so lost not knowing what to do - I’m really unsure & worried for September. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi there

Sorry to hear you’ve had issues with your health. I hope you are recovering well...

As for your query, you mention what your parents would like you to do, but have you asked your college tutors and seen what they think is best, as they are best placed to advise you based on your academic ability and potential?

From what you’ve written, I think your application to any university post-A-Level would be justified under extenuating circumstances if they ask why you retook the year, but again, check with how your college would document this so that it is along the official routes.

Maybe take a step back from everything rushing through your head and ask yourself...what’s my first instinct? If you had to choose here and now, which way would you go and why?

At the end of the day, it’s only going to be you completing whichever path you choose; not your parents or your teachers. By all means ask them what they think, and what your options are, but if you have a gut feeling, investigate it further.

Hope this helps somewhat. If you need any more help though, just give me a shout
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sfinn)
Obviously your parents know you better than anyone here and are aware of how your illness is affecting you. I suspect they maybe right suggesting you redo the year. Most universities have no problem with you redoing year 12 especially in your circumstances. Missing a month is quite a lot to recover so I would go with your parents instinct.
The Weeknd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If someone did linear subjects I would say don't worry too much about year 12 as it doesn't count towards anything.
2childmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My niece retook year 12 and ended up at Reading, and I know of someone else who retook and also got a place doing forensic chemistry at a Russell Group uni.
username3528400
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by brainzistheword)
Hi there

Sorry to hear you’ve had issues with your health. I hope you are recovering well...

As for your query, you mention what your parents would like you to do, but have you asked your college tutors and seen what they think is best, as they are best placed to advise you based on your academic ability and potential?

From what you’ve written, I think your application to any university post-A-Level would be justified under extenuating circumstances if they ask why you retook the year, but again, check with how your college would document this so that it is along the official routes.

Maybe take a step back from everything rushing through your head and ask yourself...what’s my first instinct? If you had to choose here and now, which way would you go and why?

At the end of the day, it’s only going to be you completing whichever path you choose; not your parents or your teachers. By all means ask them what they think, and what your options are, but if you have a gut feeling, investigate it further.

Hope this helps somewhat. If you need any more help though, just give me a shout
Hi
Thank you so much for your reply & advice.

I talked to my current college a couple of weeks ago, where me & my parents met with the assistant head & head of their learning support team. They were already aware of my health situation & we asked what they thought would be best. They were of the opinion that in September i would be able to continue with year 13 & seemed very actively discouraging about me repeating year 12 - didnt say no, but stated that when they have had previous students repeat, they have ended up not finishing & dropping out. They believed I’d get bored & loose motivation all together. I dont think they understood that I’m not guaranteed to be better come the end of the summer & may still not be able to tackle things full on. If i was to continue on with year 13, they said of course I’d have to catch up on all work & do a fair amount over the summer while still recovering, however despite asking them to send the work home they did not & i cant find it on our moodle website. We of course talked about support & help for my education no matter which option of year 12 or 13 i chose & things I’m entitled to, but they didnt seem that overly accommodating when it came down to things. They said in reality we cant judge now & that we will have to meet again after results day to have final discussions. I just left the meeting instead of feeling hopeful & clear about an option, more worried & like they didnt want me back.

However last week, i had a meeting with my old high school where i went for my GCSEs about potentially redoing year 12 with them (year 13 wouldn’t be an option as the exam boards for my subjects are different) & their opinions were much different & very supportive/positive about the thought of taking a step back from the pressures of year 13, putting my health first, taking a new direction with my a-levels & giving myself the best chance i could at achieving the high grades i desire & they know I’m fully capable of at full health. They believed it was a very sensible thing to do & said they would do everything they could to help me on my journey with full learning support etc etc. They told us they have had many students repeat year 12 due to unexpected health circumstances & in no way have they experience a high dropout rate whatsoever - they know I’m not that type of student. Overall, they were much more helpful, understanding & took a very different view of a repeat, but i dont know if my view is skewed or not due to not hearing that great news from my current college.

I think my gut feeling is telling me to repeat year 12 - give myself a chance to get fully better, build my cv & do the opportunities I’ve missed thought the year, do an EPQ (if i went back to my old old school, the college wouldn’t allow me to take it on if i went back) & give myself the best possible opportunity to achieve high like i desire & know i can. But after hearing conflicting messages from two different schools & professionals, I’m still tossing the idea in my gut of pushing through with year 13 & hoping everything would work out alright in the end. The conflicting messages have just left me in a bit of a pickle & unsure of what is the right option for me. However, a decision does not have to be made until the end of august which is reassuring in someways as it gives me time.

Thank you for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
34.11%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (712)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (345)
20.01%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.58%

Watched Threads