Turn on thread page Beta

How are we to deal with there always being someone a 'better fit' for the job? watch

ReputationRep:
    As the thread title states i would really like to know how people starting out in their career or with a year or two industry experience are meant to be successful in their quest for employment when no matter how good you interview there is always someone that is a better fit for the role in the eyes of employers. It's like the job market is at a point where a lot of graduates could suffer from 'chronic' unemployment as there is just too much competition due to employers having the luxury to keep job posts open for several months to find people with very specific experience, rather than hire for the potential they see in candidates .

I graduated about three years ago and have about 18 months experience (short term contracts) and have been unemployed for almost for 4 months now and my most recent feedback was ' the employer really enjoyed the conversation and it's nothing about you as a person but they have had a lot of application and they simply will be pursing others'. This is seriously becoming a revolving door and i have serious fears that as the gap on my CV grows i will become unemployable.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by chosenone93)
    As the thread title states i would really like to know how people starting out in their career or with a year or two industry experience are meant to be successful in their quest for employment when no matter how good you interview there is always someone that is a better fit for the role in the eyes of employers. It's like the job market is at a point where a lot of graduates could suffer from 'chronic' unemployment as there is just too much competition due to employers having the luxury to keep job posts open for several months to find people with very specific experience, rather than hire for the potential they see in candidates .

I graduated about three years ago and have about 18 months experience (short term contracts) and have been unemployed for almost for 4 months now and my most recent feedback was ' the employer really enjoyed the conversation and it's nothing about you as a person but they have had a lot of application and they simply will be pursing others'. This is seriously becoming a revolving door and i have serious fears that as the gap on my CV grows i will become unemployable.
    Then you need to show them that you are the best fit for the job. An interview is like a sales pitch, you need to show that you're better than your competitors.

Unfortunately, experience is the holy grail in terms of employment. The more experience you have, the more desirable you are as a employee, though this isn't always the reason that you were unsuccessful in your application, there are other factors too so don't feel down. Try doing volunteer work, it looks good on your CV and fills in the blank spaces that are caused be your unemployment.

When they say they'll be pursuing others, it basically means your application wasn't strong enough. If you are failing on the initial application stage, your CV might need working on. Maybe try reformatting it and only putting down things which are relevant to the role you are applying for. A lot of people put jargon on their CV thinking it might boost their chances but if it's irrelevant to the role, employers will simply ignore it. Tailor your CV to the role, that is important.

ReputationRep:
    show them that you are the best fit for the job... BUT understand what sort of jobs you are the best fit for.

If you are applying for general, very competative positions in big annonymous companies, there is almost no reason at all they would employ you, rather than take on someone with more experiance.

Instead you need to focus on jobs where your current position actually makes you an asset.

For example:

- A smaller indipendant or local company, who will take you on because you expect less money then someone with more experiance, but have similar skills
    - A scheme or job that involves training or learning on the job, where they want someone without too much experiance, so that they can mould you into the employee they want, rather then having an old employee who is slow to change.
    - A job that values youth or youthful insight, that would take your life experiance, over an older persons work experiance

Or most common of all:

- A job where you know someone, or have some connetion with the buisness, and they would rather go with someone they know and trust, or had recomended to them, rather then someone with more experiance on paper, but that they don't know.

---

If you see what I mean, you can do your best to tailor your experiance to job applications, but you also need to tailor the applications to your experiance. The amount of people I knew who complained about being rejected 400 times in a row.. when what were they doing? Going on job websites viewed by thousands of people, and applying for generally skilled jobs that anyone with a few years experiance can do.. a quick search on the sites showed that many of these jobs had 100-300 applicants. Were they really hoping to be the most experianced and best on-paper applicant out of 300? Right from university? Its a stupid way of aproaching job hunting.

The most succesful people at my age that I know, around 6 years after undergarduate graduation, did one of the following:

A, got their first job through a personal or business connection they made
    B, got their first job as part of a specific program for training young people (grad schemes/aprentices etc)
    C, Went into a niche or in demand field.
    D, Started their own business
    E, Were very talented, and leveraged their talent and afordability to make up for their lack of experiance.

--

The ones who went for general recruitment, and job sites, wasted years.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    The post above is absolutely spot on. Stop using Monster, Reed, Indeed etc and putting your undistinguished, low experience CV up against hundreds and thousands of others and thereby making endless, ignored applications. Focus your efforts on tracking down the small, niche and personalised applications where you narrow the odds and improve you chances of being noticed.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The advice above is really good. I'd also caution against blaming the job market or other external factors- right now it's probably as good as it's been since the 2007-2008 crash.

However, I would also consider what you're doing right now to make yourself more employable. If you're worried about a CV gap, try to do something with this time. Volunteering, especially in a role that matches the skills you want to develop, can be really valuable.

Then, think about where your application process is falling down- how many interview invites to CVs/applications sent out are you getting? If it's above 1 interview per 5 CVs and certainly if it's above 1 interview per 10 CVs, then there's an issue either with how you're applying or the type of job you're applying for. Are you following industry norms? E.g. in some industries, everything is done through recruiters, and your linked in, for example, is really important. In other industries, no-one cares about your linked in, but they expect to see certain things on your CV and if you don't have them, you'll struggle.

If you're getting lots of interviews but not job offers, then it's possibly an issue with how you're interviewing. This isn't usually due to your CV (although someone else may have more experience). It's more often due to your personality and how you come across. People hire people they want to work with and who they think will be a good fit on the team, so make sure you're coming across as the sort of person that someone would want to have in the office every day!

And nothing is a substitute for good, old fashioned networking. Reach out to people you know- people you went to uni with, people who you've worked with in the past. Drop them a facebook message or whatever explaining you're currently looking for work and do they know of anything going? Lots of companies run referral schemes, so it's often in an employee's interests to refer someone to work at their firm, and a personal recommendation will usually get you at least an interview.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

You need to calm down.

Improve and refresh your application.

Just remember you arent your job.

ReputationRep:
    The usual generic 'you lack experience/volunteer' responses thanks but neither of the two are particularly feasible for me to gain in my field at the moment , honestly wasn't after stuff I've already heard wanted to vent with others in the same situation tbh.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    The usual generic 'you lack experience/volunteer' responses thanks but neither of the two are particularly feasible for me to gain in my field at the moment , honestly wasn't after stuff I've already heard wanted to vent with others in the same situation tbh.
    Sorry, if you just wanted snowflake support and a mutual winge-fest, you should have said so more clearly in your original post. You momentarily sounded like someone making a serious request for help in starting your career, or at least, that's how several generous souls interpreted it when they gave good advice. Do feel free to crack on and wallow though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Sorry, if you just wanted snowflake support and a mutual winge-fest, you should have said so more clearly in your original post. You momentarily sounded like someone making a serious request for help in starting your career, or at least, that's how several generous souls interpreted it when they gave good advice. Do feel free to crack on and wallow though
    Nothing against your advice nor was i expecting snow flake support but if graduate unemployment was as simple as volunteering (an increasingly difficult opportunity to find much less in the field you want to work in) then the problem wouldn't be as big as it is.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've been in your situation and the advice given is correct, even if you don't want to hear it.

In addition to what's already been said I would suggest temping. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but competition is usually lower and even if you aren't made permanent you will have more industry experience to go on your CV. When I was made redundant a couple of years ago I was getting nowhere so I found a temp job. Not only did it pay very well and give me useful experience, but I was able to secure a permanent position with another company that started immediately after my temp assignment ended. A lot of people in my company also started as low level temps but worked their way up and are now in high skilled, high paid roles.

ReputationRep:
    Leverage LinkedIn and see what their employees have that you don't. List out your gaps, and then go about masking and or rectifying them. Now once thats done selk yourself .

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.