is it possible to have a part time job and study architecture?

Watch this thread
mariifreis
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello, I'm going to study architecture full time, and I definitely need a job because I have no other way of paying my bills...

I do know architecture is a hard course, and the amount of time spent at uni is literally crazy, but I really need to know some real opinions: do you think it is possible?

When it comes to my social life I already am a little loner, so it is not going to be hard for me not to go out and all of that, but it's the job thing that is making me really worried...

I also am a really organized person when it comes to spending money and about time management, but is my ambition way too big for what I'm actually able to do?

Architecture is my passion since I was little and I do know I would never let myself fail... But is it even possible to do this?

Thank you!
cheesecakelove
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
It depends on how you can manage your workload and how much time uni will take up.

It may be possible to find a part time job, but you need to be able to prioritise your studies too. If you can achieve a good balance this is ideal.

Another thing to consider is going into second and third year, you might find your uni workload increasing and taking up more of your time.

Would you be entitled to any type of maintenance loan if this is your first degree?
mariifreis
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
No... I have the student finance but it only pays for the actual course...
Nbarreto25
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hey mariifreis I am going to be starting my architecture course in September (2022). I'm in the same situation as you were when I start the course (funding wise). Just wanted to know how it went when you started the course...
University of Kent Reps
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mariifreis)
Hello, I'm going to study architecture full time, and I definitely need a job because I have no other way of paying my bills...

I do know architecture is a hard course, and the amount of time spent at uni is literally crazy, but I really need to know some real opinions: do you think it is possible?

When it comes to my social life I already am a little loner, so it is not going to be hard for me not to go out and all of that, but it's the job thing that is making me really worried...

I also am a really organized person when it comes to spending money and about time management, but is my ambition way too big for what I'm actually able to do?

Architecture is my passion since I was little and I do know I would never let myself fail... But is it even possible to do this?

Thank you!
Hi!
I am a second year architecture student at the university of Kent and it is great to hear that you are very passionate about the subject.

It is true that architecture is a demanding course but plenty of my colleagues have part-time jobs which help them with their universities expenses and they put in the work to commit to their jobs as well as to their studies. You mentioned that you are very good at managing both your time and your money, which is absolutely great and it will give a major advantage if you decide to go ahead and work part-time.

Also, it depends where you work. Some employers may be more demanding or you might find something more flexible that suits your studies better. For example, last year I worked agency for a healthcare company and I could pick the days where I could work or not, which little pressure from managers. So maybe you could find a similar contract. When you finally start university, you might want to look for employment on campus: you wouldn't have to think about commuting and the institution is very well aware of your studies and they might provide very flexible hours.

Just keep in mind that you would never know what works well for you until you try. So, if you feel confident enough, give it a go and if you see that it's not working very well, you can always stop or change! Many students still have jobs while studying, however, this decision is very subjective so it is ultimately up to you

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Tracy
-UKC Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (65)
19.82%
The paper was reasonable (121)
36.89%
Not feeling great about that exam... (94)
28.66%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
14.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed