Turn on thread page Beta

Just left North Korea. AMA watch

ReputationRep:
    I joined a four-day tour to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea with a Chinese tour operator, with Chinese tourists.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What was the weather like?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by The Champion.m4a)
    I joined a four-day tour to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea with a Chinese tour operator, with Chinese tourists.
    What did you like? Didnt like?
    How much do you think your tour was them just letting you see what they wanted?
    Did you see any posters of Trump and Kim?
    Do you want to return?
    Do you think you were treated better as you were with the Chinese?
    Were people following you?

How many actors were there?

ReputationRep:
    Omg ! What was it like ?

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Did you spend any money there?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone on your tour do anything stupid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pantera Fan Club)
    What was the weather like?
    Quite hot. Mid-20s to low 30s. Sunny but foggy in the mornings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    What did you like? Didnt like?
    How much do you think your tour was them just letting you see what they wanted?
    Did you see any posters of Trump and Kim?
    Do you want to return?
    Do you think you were treated better as you were with the Chinese?
    Were people following you?
    The capital looked pretty developed and tidy.

I didn't like the fact that I had an upset stomach throughout. I didn't like the fact that we honestly did not see much of anything - 2 days spent basically on the train, the other 2 had 5 hours on a coach.

100%. But we did see things like people farming and naked children playing in the river.

No Trump. Very few Jong Un. The ones everywhere were the 2 former leaders.

No.

I think so but I can't be sure. They certainly did single me out despite being from Hong Kong.

What do you mean following? We can't go anywhere on our own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Scotfather)
    How many actors were there?
    Unless you count the guides, I don't think anyone was an actor per se.

ReputationRep:
    Is it really as bad there as people made out? Did you like it? Did you find it interesting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wellie2003)
    Omg ! What was it like ?
    There's basically nothing much to see. Quite quiet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urlocalethnic)
    Why?
    Did you spend any money there?
    Why does anyone travel anywhere?
    Yes. I bought a pair of chopsticks, some medicine, and presumably the tour fee goes partly to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marupe)
    Did anyone on your tour do anything stupid?
    As far as I know, no. But someone did disappear after the first day. I didn't ask why.

I wouldn't bow to things and I wasn't killed or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purplemonkeys)
    Is it really as bad there as people made out? Did you like it? Did you find it interesting?
    What do you mean by bad? Outside of the capital everywhere we saw was farmlands.

The capital seemed well developed with some nice buildings but I didn't think I saw much of anything with much of the time spent travelling and sleeping, and half a day seeing the gifts from other countries.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The capital looked pretty developed and tidy.

I didn't like the fact that I had an upset stomach throughout. I didn't like the fact that we honestly did not see much of anything - 2 days spent basically on the train, the other 2 had 5 hours on a coach.

100%. But we did see things like people farming and naked children playing in the river.

No Trump. Very few Jong Un. The ones everywhere were the 2 former leaders.

No.

I think so but I can't be sure. They certainly did single me out despite being from Hong Kong.

What do you mean following? We can't go anywhere on our own.

Actually just that. Policemen or secret policemen.

Actually you made me think again and am not sure how much it is still the case, but China was also notorious for having multiple secret policeman following you and noting who you talked to etc. I think you were in a bubble in HK.

N Korea has a massive potential for tourism as one of the last remaining undeveloped countries. Not sure westerners will go there.considering what happened to Otto Warmbier.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by bad? Outside of the capital everywhere we saw was farmlands.

The capital seemed well developed with some nice buildings but I didn't think I saw much of anything with much of the time spent travelling and sleeping, and half a day seeing the gifts from other countries.
    Sorry I meant corrupt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Actually just that. Policemen or secret policemen.

Actually you made me think again and am not sure how much it is still the case, but China was also notorious for having multiple secret policeman following you and noting who you talked to etc. I think you were in a bubble in HK.

N Korea has a massive potential for tourism as one of the last remaining undeveloped countries. Not sure westerners will go there.considering what happened to Otto Warmbier.
    Why would anyone need to follow us when we had 2 tour guides with us at all times going to all well guarded places anyway?

We can't talk to anyone when we don't speak Korean. We did get to travel with some locals on our way back but I don't know if we were monitored. Some of them held special passports and none spoke English or Chinese.

Hong Kong is of course not China, but there's simply no reason for secret police to be following us when we can't do anything unexpected and the police was everywhere to begin with.

And actually NK had a decent Human Development Index. It's not one of the least developed.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, no. But someone did disappear after the first day. I didn't ask why.

I wouldn't bow to things and I wasn't killed or anything.
    That's worrying! Hopefully just sent home early...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purplemonkeys)
    Sorry I meant corrupt
    I wouldn't know. The ordinary North Koreans on the street looked poor but the guides and people travelled with us had jewellery.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.