Turn on thread page Beta

War with Iran would be 'mother of all wars,' Rouhani warns US watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I’d like to make one thing abundantly clear before certain ignorant people start whining about this being an RT article and one from Iran at that, a cgovernment probe to hypoerbole, these exact sentiments (in so many words) have been echoed by numerous Senior American military personnel, advisors, experts, politicians et al. Namely when bush was eyeballing the country after his “successful” Iraqi invasion.
    If the dunderpate in chief Trump or the fascist Bono think for a second they could actually win a war in Iran they are tragically misinformed. Iran is not Iraq (a country crippled by war and brought to its knees by sanctions). Any rational person can easily see any potential attack on Iran would invite the devastingd war in the region that would make Iraq pale in comparison.
    Indeed, Israel would likely see massive devastation of America or the two did anything.
    /education

Thoughts and opinions on this article?

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has warned the United States against provoking Tehran, saying that conflict with the country would be “the mother of all wars.”
    “Don’t play with the lion’s tail, this would only lead to regret,” the Iranian leader said while speaking to Iranian diplomats on Sunday, local news agencies reported. “The Americans must understand well that peace with Iran is the mother of all peace, and war with Iran is the mother of all wars.”
    Iranians will only be “united" by further threats from the US, Rouhani said, adding that the Islamic Republic “will certainly defeat America.“
    The new string of sharp comments from the Iranian president came a day after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei backed the idea of blocking all oil exports from the region by closing the Strait of Hormuz in the event of Iran’s exports being banned. Meanwhile, the US is pressing its allies to completely cut imports of Iranian crude in response to Tehran’s alleged malign activities. Those who fail to comply with America’s request would be targeted by secondary US sanctions.
    Tensions between Washington and Tehran have been mounting since Trump took office. The US leader has been a long-time critic of the historic 2015 nuclear deal with Iran, and walked away from the agreement, calling to fix its alleged flaws. However, the other parties to the deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), condemned the move and assured that they remain strongly committed to the agreement.
    Apart from attempts to exert international pressure and re-impose sanctions on Iran, that were in force till the JCPOA, the US launched an online campaign to distort Iranian leadership, according to Reuters report citing unnamed “US officials familiar with the matter.”
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    yes I bet the US would be very afraid.

The only thing the US would be afraid of is public opinion and taking casualties.
    It only takes casualties if it engages in a ground war. It wouldnt take them long to achieve air supremacy.
    Solution dont engage in a ground war and just use an air war.
    It may be enough just to degrade its abilities and destroy its economy.

That said its all fanciful as I dont believe the US has any interest in becoming involved in a military conflict with Iran. Too expensive.
    Not sure why Israel would see massive devastation unless it was nuked.
    The arab armed forces are still not a match for Israel.

Anyway will leave you to salivate over you war in the middle east as usual.

ReputationRep:
    The conventional war phase would last a couple of days at best.

Any occupation would be a disaster.

Knock on effects for the region no matter what the outcome; pretty dire. Though, with that region, it would be quite hard to tell if it got worse.

ReputationRep:
    These last 7 years. Iran has shown what a danger it is to surrounding countries. Khamenei leading them into a deep dark hole.

US has its own agenda but Iran isnt innocent either.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    yes I bet the US would be very afraid.

The only thing the US would be afraid of is public opinion and taking casualties.
    It only takes casualties if it engages in a ground war. It wouldnt take them long to achieve air supremacy.
    Solution dont engage in a ground war and just use an air war.
    It may be enough just to degrade its abilities and destroy its economy.

That said its all fanciful as I dont believe the US has any interest in becoming involved in a military conflict with Iran. Too expensive.
    Not sure why Israel would see massive devastation unless it was nuked.
    The arab armed forces are still not a match for Israel.

Anyway will leave you to salivate over you war in the middle east as usual.
    Iran has long range missiles and Hezbollah has thousands of various missiles pointed straight at Israel. Not to mention in the past 2 wars Israel have been soundly beaten by the militia - granted whether Hezbollah would join is slightly debatable.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by zebraguy 20)
    These last 7 years. Iran has shown what a danger it is to surrounding countries. Khamenei leading them into a deep dark hole.

US has its own agenda but Iran isnt innocent either.
    Given that it was the us and Britain who burned the Middle East Iran appears as a paragon of virtue in comparison. Equally it’s machinations aren’t especially consequential; namely in Yemen. Whilst Syria it is legally allowed to operate there.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Drewski)
    The conventional war phase would last a couple of days at best.

Any occupation would be a disaster.

Knock on effects for the region no matter what the outcome; pretty dire. Though, with that region, it would be quite hard to tell if it got worse.
    Iran being the Home of Shiite Islam I imagine t would be akin to attacking Saudi Arabia. The sectarian war it would unleash would be horrific. Not to mention it would also add most shiites to the sunnis in attacking America (something they haven’t done yet)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Iran being the Home of Shiite Islam I imagine t would be akin to attacking Saudi Arabia. The sectarian war it would unleash would be horrific. Not to mention it would also add most shiites to the sunnis in attacking America (something they haven’t done yet)
    Most shiites already hate America. Shia militias have been known to attack Americans in Iraq. It's not just sunnis they kill

Google the mahdi army. A Shia militia known for attacking American soldiers and running death squads and massacring sunni civilians.

They disband but many of their members are in shia militias under different name's.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Next you'll be telling me how bashar's death & rape camps for his prisoners are all legal

Bashar family stays in power using ruthless force against dissent ----> sunnis get uperhand after decades of oppression ----> bashar asks for his help from fellow tyrant to crush revolt ----> Napp thinks it's all okay because it's "legal"
    What’s that got to do with it?:s Iran was invited into Syria - that is legal under international law.

Oh do stop lying, I never once said any of that.
    With that being said, bashar is the lesser evil. Unless you like Isis and alnusra? Or perhaps you do support Islamist terrorists who burn, rape and generally put the mukharbaret to shame.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Most shiites already hate America. Shia militias have been known to attack Americans in Iraq. It's not just sunnis they kill

Google the mahdi army. A Shia militia known for attacking American soldiers and running death squads and massacring sunni civilians.

They disband but many of their members are in shia militias under different name's.
    Can’t blame them, they have every reason to. But words are not the same as deeds.
    Well duh, why shouldn’t they? Again they were legally allowed to attack an illegal occupation power. Equally only a minority of shiites attacked American. Very few took up arms with al-sadr and most obeyed the dominant cleric.

Are you seriously comparing those small scale attacks on civillians to the vastly worse attrocities committed by Sunni gangs? Not to mention as I said the Americans can’t complain about such attacks. If you invade a country and occupy it people will fight back (not to mention thousands were slaughtered by Saddam thanks to America encouraging an uprising in ‘91.

What’s your point? Iraq is a sovereign country, just because it won’t become an American puppet doesn’t diminish its right to do as it pleases.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly dont get why the US interferes with literally every thing in the world.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RickHendricks)
    Honestly dont get why the US interferes with literally every thing in the world.
    Ignorance, arrogance and Saudi and Israeli pressure groups with some more minor influence from other gulf states mainly.
    An interesting book, or atleast several chapters, if by mearsheimer and Walt who analyse American policy being almost hijacked by a very vocal cabal of pressure groups.
    And in relation to this they’ve never forgiven Iran for the revolution, hostage siege and winning the Iraq war (2003 one)

ReputationRep:
    Not going to happen.

The US doesn't start wars with countries who stand a chance of fighting back (That doesn't stop them failing to win said wars though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Can’t blame them, they have every reason to. But words are not the same as deeds.
    Well duh, why shouldn’t they? Again they were legally allowed to attack an illegal occupation power. Equally only a minority of shiites attacked American. Very few took up arms with al-sadr and most obeyed the dominant cleric.

Are you seriously comparing those small scale attacks on civillians to the vastly worse attrocities committed by Sunni gangs? Not to mention as I said the Americans can’t complain about such attacks. If you invade a country and occupy it people will fight back (not to mention thousands were slaughtered by Saddam thanks to America encouraging an uprising in ‘91.

What’s your point? Iraq is a sovereign country, just because it won’t become an American puppet doesn’t diminish its right to do as it pleases.
    My point is that shiites already do all the sectarianism, murder and anti-western hatred which you thought didn't next.

Surprised you didn't know about it.

Surprised you are defending them. You point the finger the sunni extremists but your defence of shiites applies to them too lmao since they too were *iraqis* resisting an occuptional force in the 2000s.

ReputationRep:
    Even Bush wasn't dumb enough to go after Iran.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    What’s that got to do with it?:s Iran was invited into Syria - that is legal under international law.

Oh do stop lying, I never once said any of that.
    With that being said, bashar is the lesser evil. Unless you like Isis and alnusra? Or perhaps you do support Islamist terrorists who burn, rape and generally put the mukharbaret to shame.
    A tyrant inviting a foreign nation to help him mass murder and rape his people does not make it *legal*.

Bashar rapes and murders far more than any other group. Groups like isis are scum, bashar however outdoes them in the sheer scale of murder, terror and rape. That's how bad bashar is

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7899776.html

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/...103008793.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6b3ad2872168

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1GR1PZ

You're welcome on educating you about the war.

ReputationRep:
    OP is going to unrational lengths to defend Iran.

Reading RT all the time seems to be giving him a false perception of reality!

ReputationRep:
    One of the issues here would be the Strait of Hormuz - just the threat of Iranian military action here would force oil prices up to levels that may not have been seen before - depending on other global oil situations at the time obviously.
    Otherwise though, I concur with Drewski. An attempted occupation would be bloodier than Iraq and Afghanistan combined I'm sure.
    Which is why, if it came down to a flash point between the US and Iran, it'd be a Desert Storm style blitz, with air, naval and special forces (but probably without even a limited ground offensive) operations on Iranian military, nuclear and terrorist sites. Militarily, they'd only be one winner but the US would sustain losses due to asymmetrical tactics including mass low tech attacks on warships attempting to defend the Straits of Hormuz.

http://www.mei.edu/content/io/iran-h...y-persian-gulf
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A tyrant inviting a foreign nation to help him mass murder and rape his people does not make it *legal*.
    Thanks for demonstrating your profound ignorance for international law, it really sets the stage for your "argument". He is the legal rulerof Syria, whether you like him or not, and short of him being forcibly thrown out or killedhe is going to remain that way. Go read up on the UN charter it is very precise in these matters.
    Bashar rapes and murders far more than any other group. Groups like isis are scum, bashar however outdoes them in the sheer scale of murder, terror and rape. That's how bad bashar is
    I never said he was good. I said he was the least bad option.
    You're welcome on educating you about the war.
    I'm willing to bet i know a touch more about it than you.

OP is going to unrational lengths to defend Iran.
    Your grasp of English is appalling. Not once did I defend Iran in my post i said it would indeed be a war the Americans would lose and that would have devastating consequences throughout the region. Are you completely incapable of a rational civilized debate or must you always turn to spurious lies?
    Would not be surprised if he is Iranian or a shill.
    This speaks volumes about your intelligence, or there thereof.
    Reading RT all the time seems to be giving him a false perception of reality!
    It's also quite cute that you seem to be disputing the fat Iran vs. US/ISrael would be a devastating war for all involved. Something which shows just how very stupid you are on this topic, friend.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    One of the issues here would be the Strait of Hormuz - just the threat of Iranian military action here would force oil prices up to levels that may not have been seen before - depending on other global oil situations at the time obviously.
    Otherwise though, I concur with Drewski. An attempted occupation would be bloodier than Iraq and Afghanistan combined I'm sure.
    Which is why, if it came down to a flash point between the US and Iran, it'd be a Desert Storm style blitz, with air, naval and special forces (but probably without even a limited ground offensive) operations on Iranian military, nuclear and terrorist sites. Militarily, they'd only be one winner but the US would sustain losses due to asymmetrical tactics including mass low tech attacks on warships attempting to defend the Straits of Hormuz.

http://www.mei.edu/content/io/iran-h...y-persian-gulf
    Too a point id agree but we should bare in mind Iran now has advanced AA systems as well as possibly having advanced anti-ship missiles from Russia these days.
    Equally unlike Saddam Iran hasnt been crippled, per se, under 13years of siege. I doubt the Iranian army is the paper tiger the Americans consider it to be.
    Final point would be the Shiite reaction to this. Martyrdom and revenge run deep in their culture, far more so than Sunni's really, the potential black slap would likely be quite profound [bare in mind Iraq, Syria and Lebanon] all owe various high level favours to Tehran and Bahrain is still rather unstable from its last revolt. Sorry long post but essentially any attack on Iran will undoubedly invite back an asymmetric reprisal of high proportions.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.