Council tax in months between undergraduate and postgraduate

Watch
laurajm97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am renting a student house over the summer before starting an MSc in September.

I know I should technically be paying council tax because my previous student status has ended and will be reinstated in September -- however I am living with my parents over the summer and not using any of the council services.

Is there any way that I can avoid paying council tax? I have read that I may be exempt if able to prove that I live elsewhere but don't see how I could prove this.

If anyone has been in this position please help! xx
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by laurajm97)
I am renting a student house over the summer before starting an MSc in September.

I know I should technically be paying council tax because my previous student status has ended and will be reinstated in September -- however I am living with my parents over the summer and not using any of the council services.

Is there any way that I can avoid paying council tax? I have read that I may be exempt if able to prove that I live elsewhere but don't see how I could prove this.

If anyone has been in this position please help! xx
Is anyone else living there at that time?
laurajm97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
Is anyone else living there at that time?
Yeah one of my housemates is there; I have three housemates but they are all exempt as have student status over the summer
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by laurajm97)
Yeah one of my housemates is there; I have three housemates but they are all exempt as have student status over the summer
Ah I see, so it's just you that would be liable, if you don't have anything to prove you won't be living there then you may have to apply for council tax benefits and a single person reduction and make it cost less that way. There was a summer where my husband and I were between courses and were'nt working but because I had some savings we ended up paying.
Alan88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Or you could just pay the council tax? Technically, you're not a student since your UG programme has ended and you are not enrolled on a PG course. You should be able to get a single person discount since you are the only person in the property who is liable.

I just find it amusing that you'll happily pay rent for a property you're not living in but refuse to pay the one bill that almost everyone has to pay - welcome to adulthood!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (357)
84%
No (68)
16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed