The Student Room Group

I converted to Buddhism from Christianity ~ ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QueenW
Ah okay, so do you feel like Christianity for you before was more of a religion, following certain rules - more forced than part of your lifestyle before?

I feel like a lot of the principles I've read in Buddhism are incorporated in Christianity but believing in someone you haven't physically seen (Jesus) is always going to be extremely tough especially if you feel like you haven't had a personal experience,

I pray whatever it would take for you to experience Jesus in a new light would occur, if he really is is the only way ,the truth and the light. I fully understand your points though

Thanks! I fully respect your stance. I think that the rules of Christianity were too strict for me. I find some Bible passages I would struggle to defend, but I don't reject the overall messages.

Maybe there is a God, but for now following the path of the Buddha motivates me to be a better person... It's just a different path to the same goal of truth. :smile:
Do you follow the belief of optimistic nihilism?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14
Reply 42
Original post by hannxm
Did you know you can be a Christian Buddhist? Buddhism is not classed as a religion, but a tradition and a lifestyle. There is no God to worship and it seems to be against the idea of worshipping anyone other than yourself.

I am unsure where you have got this information from, but I assure you that all of this post is quite, quite untrue.

While lots of Westerners do the 'it's not a religion, it's a philosophy' thing, it disregards nearly 3000 years of religious Buddhism. It teaches a soteriology, has monastic communities, has quirky metaphysical principles (tradition-dependent) and requires faith (namely in the three jewels).

As for self-worship, a palpable nonsense, given that Buddhists of all flavours believe that there is no 'self' to worship in the first instance.
Original post by gjd800
I am unsure where you have got this information from, but I assure you that all of this post is quite, quite untrue.

While lots of Westerners do the 'it's not a religion, it's a philosophy' thing, it disregards nearly 3000 years of religious Buddhism. It teaches a soteriology, has monastic communities, has quirky metaphysical principles (tradition-dependent) and requires faith (namely in the three jewels).

As for self-worship, a palpable nonsense, given that Buddhists of all flavours believe that there is no 'self' to worship in the first instance.

Ahh thank you for this! I guess you could incorporate some principles into Christianity, but concepts like the origins of life directly conflict with the idea of a creator. Also many denominations have certian Bodhisattvas that they worship so I don't think Christians would approve of that either!

(Thanks for making this post, i wouldn't want to be rude and try to argue with people)
Reply 44
Original post by citric carrot
Ahh thank you for this! I guess you could incorporate some principles into Christianity, but concepts like the origins of life directly conflict with the idea of a creator. Also many denominations have certian Bodhisattvas that they worship so I don't think Christians would approve of that either!

(Thanks for making this post, i wouldn't want to be rude and try to argue with people)

The charitable side of me says it's misunderstanding, but the cynical part of me says that such arguments are an attempt by Christians to co-opt other traditions whilst still claiming that theirs is 'Truth'. I've seen too much of it and it is almost always nonsense.
Original post by Skyewoods
Do you follow the belief of optimistic nihilism?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14

Yes, at least to some extent. We are able to give ourselves purpose once we accept that we were not specifically designed to fufill a certian role. It helps us make something of our lives.

Or maybe humans were put on earth for another reason... but I suppose we won't ever know. I accept elements of this side of the argument too, though I suppose if we are not the only creatures in the universe then to have everything built for purpose would get very complicated very quickly :smile:
Original post by gjd800
The charitable side of me says it's misunderstanding, but the cynical part of me says that such arguments are an attempt by Christians to co-opt other traditions whilst still claiming that theirs is 'Truth'. I've seen too much of it and it is almost always nonsense.

Yes I totally agree with you there! The reality is that Eastern religions follow different ideas. At the end of the day, not all religions are compatible so some Christians just need to accept that. They need to let people follow their own version of 'truth' & not try to convert them with the guise that Christianity is all fluffy and jolly and suits any lifestyle... let's not forget that Jesus chased people out of the temple with a whip.
Reply 47
Original post by gjd800

Trying to worship Anatman would be interesting. I imagine it would be like trying to worship atheism :laugh:
Reply 48
Original post by nucdev
Trying to worship Anatman would be interesting. I imagine it would be like trying to worship atheism :laugh:

Haha, I like that! :laugh:
I'll do my best!
The Eightfold path is significant for two reasons. The first being that it is the 4th Noble truth - the path to end suffering (think of the Buddha as a kind of doctor, he suggested the teachings as a "cure" to suffering).

The second thing is that it is the "middle path" to a happy life. The Buddha grew up as a prince and led a luxurious lifestyle, but when he started his quest for the end to suffering, he joined the ascetics (group of holy men who deprived their bodies in order to lead a disciplined life of meditation and study). This made him too weak to even meditate, so it didn't bring him to religious truth. After his enlightenment, Buddha said that Nibbana (state of liberation)could be found by living a life that was not too luxurious but not too restrictive.

The Eightfold path a set of personal conduct guidelines that interact together to let you reduce suffering and follow a "middle way" to avoid extreme lifestyles.

They are:
1.Right action - act in a positive manner.

2. Right speech - speak positively and truthfully.

3.right intention - only commit actions that are based on love and compassion.

4. Right effort- work hard to lead a good life.

5. Right concentration - remain in the simplicity of the present moment and do not let your mind wander.

6. Right view - know the truth in your heart.

7. Right mindfullnes- control your thoughts.

Most importantly (in my opinion):

8.Right livelihood - make an honest living that does not involve exploiting others.

I really hope I explained it okay! If you need any more help, don't hesitate to message me :smile:

Thank you very much :smile:
Ooh! May I ask why? I know Buddhism shares some similarities with Hinduism, I don't know that much about the lifestyle.

well some experiences I had like personal experiences with people who spoke tongues and knew all about my life n problems in 30 seconds XD - thought it was some juju but it wasn't i guess aha and some of my fam also were Christian so they spoke about it to me and I thought I'd see what it was like going Church etc and I really liked it and so I'm Christian and never regret it :smile:
Reply 51
Do you actually believe in reincarnation now or the existence of Karma as a force in reality?
do you like spaghetti?

well it's an AMA so I can ask that lel
Original post by TheTroll73
do you like spaghetti?

well it's an AMA so I can ask that lel

I love spaghetti!
what is a suitable flavor of yoghurt to help you develop mindfulness ?

:holmes:
Do you believe in reincarnation?
Original post by Joe312
Do you actually believe in reincarnation now or the existence of Karma as a force in reality?

I would say I definitely belive in Karmatic energy , and I think rebirth is plausible too. I'm not 100% sure but I think I agree with it, athough some of the "realms" of rebirth don't seem likely as they stem from Hinduism and don't line up with Buddhist concepts.
Original post by I'm God
Do you believe in reincarnation?

I believe in rebirth to some extent. I think that Karmatic energy exists, and so the theory is plausible. However I doubt some of the "realms" that one is allegedly born into becuase they stem from Hinduism and don't line up with Buddhist concepts.
Original post by the bear
what is a suitable flavor of yoghurt to help you develop mindfulness ?

:holmes:

Is this a troll?
Is this a troll?

we ask the questions in AMA....

:beard:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending