The Student Room Group

I converted to Buddhism from Christianity ~ ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
we ask the questions in AMA....

:beard:

Alright sorry It just didn't look too serious is all.
I can only speak for myself, I'm vegan so I don't eat yogurt. The only thing that develops mindfulness is yourself and your discipline :smile:
I also changed my religion to buddhism.I was born catholic and i am now 23 years old.I changed my religion because learning science subjects and being a catholic is being like ****..sorry for saying that.I admire christianity and i was doubtful because GOD DOESNT CREATE EVERYTHING..!!! For example a baby is born wih the combination of parents not from gods creation!! I highly disagree with the creation theory and for Buddha his theories are so awesome and it agrees with modern technology..I am now a follower for 2 years and visited many of buddhist countries and i have learned a lot about buddhism..Hope you can understand
Reply 63
Original post by citric carrot
I would say I definitely belive in Karmatic energy , and I think rebirth is plausible too. I'm not 100% sure but I think I agree with it, athough some of the "realms" of rebirth don't seem likely as they stem from Hinduism and don't line up with Buddhist concepts.

That's quite similar to what Stephen Batchelor has said, though he goes the full distance and gets rid of ALL Buddhist 'supernatural' beliefs, including Karmatic energy:

Quote: “The concept of rebirth was the way Indians saw how the world worked it sprung from an agrarian understanding of the cycle of life so I don’t think it’s remotely to do with anything essentially Buddhist, but the fact is that Buddhists over the centuries have taken [rebirth] as a primary kind of doctrinal belief and it’s become imbedded and integrated into Buddhist teaching in ways that are actually quite difficult to disentangle it from the rest of the philosophy and practice but I think we’re in a state now where we really have to go back to these early sources and rethink what the Dharma is actually offering us.”

It's interesting that you agree with some of his views regarding Indian influence, but don't go all the way with him to 'secular Buddhism', what do you think accounts for that?
Original post by Kevin.US
I also changed my religion to buddhism.I was born catholic and i am now 23 years old.I changed my religion because learning science subjects and being a catholic is being like ****..sorry for saying that.I admire christianity and i was doubtful because GOD DOESNT CREATE EVERYTHING..!!! For example a baby is born wih the combination of parents not from gods creation!! I highly disagree with the creation theory and for Buddha his theories are so awesome and it agrees with modern technology..I am now a follower for 2 years and visited many of buddhist countries and i have learned a lot about buddhism..Hope you can understand

That's really cool! I hope to visit Buddhist countries one day but I live with my parents who don't support my faith.
That's really cool! I hope to visit Buddhist countries one day but I live with my parents who don't support my faith.

yes.Sri Lanka is the best option for visiting...Good luck..Ah parents,haha..They didnt like firstly but they appreciated me later for choosing the right path and now my mom is also a buddhist..When you become seperated from your family eg; university studies..you can choose your own path and the parents will not get engaged anymore..Having faith in Buddha is like being a buddhist.Thats all.Cherish it💜💚
Reply 67
Original post by Anonymous
Well I was having quite a few issues with Christianity. It wasn't disbelief in God (although I was doubting it), but more becuase I felt isolated from the communtiy due to my homosexuality, and many of the Christians I knew were hypocritical and superficial. I was going through a difficult time of separation from someone I was attached to, and I stumbled across Buddhism as an answer to the causes of suffering. It teaches "anicca" which means that all things are impertinent and we suffer when we do not realise that. Upon further research, many of the Buddha's really comforted me and helped me to become a better and wiser person. It's not a strict set of rules,more guidelines that were flexible around issues such as homosexuality. :smile:

So in effect you've found a religion that requires no change in you and something that you feel supports all your thoughts and beliefs.

I'm not criticizing your homosexuality, as my own personal beliefs as a Christian don't take me there, but it sounds like you decided God was against your sexuality so you went searching for a religion that allowed you to carry on in a way you thought the Christian God didn't?
Original post by hannxm
Did you know you can be a Christian Buddhist? Buddhism is not classed as a religion, but a tradition and a lifestyle. There is no God to worship and it seems to be against the idea of worshipping anyone other than yourself.

People say this but I reckon it’s a cop out.

Nirbana is like a salvation that is attained personally, and not through Jesus.

Also, the concepts of the afterlife are utterly incompatible. When you die in Christianity you go to heaven, you don’t get reincarnated as a lobster.
Well since Buddhist principles are more guidelines than strict rules, it's quite easy to slot them into everyday life. Many Buddhists are vegetarian (I'm vegan),but the Buddha did not condemn meat eating, it's just becuase some people see meat consumption as breaking the first moral precept. So unless you're a Theravada monk, there is so drastic change. Although many Buddhists meditate on teachings, there isn't any pressure and you could just meditate for relaxation.

2. I find it sort of annoying, becuase people use them to look cool or exotic... actually a lot of people have the 'happy fat Buddha' statues which aren't of religious significance, but it does wind me up a little bit (but hey ho, people are free to do that if they want to).

If you have any more questions feel free to message me! :smile:

Theravadan monks would not be vegetarians. As mendicants, they would be taught to watch what they are given.

Happy fat Buddha has no religious significance to you, but he does to a ton of Chinese taoists.
Original post by Racoon
So in effect you've found a religion that requires no change in you and something that you feel supports all your thoughts and beliefs.

I'm not criticizing your homosexuality, as my own personal beliefs as a Christian don't take me there, but it sounds like you decided God was against your sexuality so you went searching for a religion that allowed you to carry on in a way you thought the Christian God didn't?

Nope not at all. I despise the community. I actually was a devout Christian and spent a lot of time defending what I thought to be . I did not go searching for a new religion, I was to be agnostic, but Buddhism spoke to me and it has made me a better person. The bible doesn't completely add up to me, and I know it's message didn't resignate with me. Buddhism also co exists with modern science, so I don't feel the need to doubt it as much as I once did.
It has required change within me - not morally, but it has required me to stop and think about my actions in a different light.
Reply 71
Ask me anything about lifestyle/beliefs etc

(Sorry I know this isn't intesting I'm ill and bored)

The fact that you are bored suggests that your new faith isn't fulfilling to you.
The fact that you left your old one suggests that wasn't either.

Here's a short but highly important bible study for you:

A Christian is someone who has received the Holy Spirit because “Christ” or “Messiah” means “anointed one” and the anointing is the Holy Spirit (Acts 10v38). Romans 8v9 states:-
" . . . you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

In the new testament it is known precisely when people receive the Holy Spirit!

The apostles reported:-
" . . . they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance . . . having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he has shed forth this, which you now SEE and HEAR . . . For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to ALL that are afar off, even AS MANY AS the Lord our God shall call." (Acts 2v4, 33, 39)

If you were told that what you could "see and hear" was the promised Holy Spirit, and that this was to you and all who God would call, wouldn’t you expect to speak in tongues, or be told if this was not the case ? With the gentiles:-
"While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.” (Acts 10v44)
How did he know ? . . .
(v46) "For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God."

Peter then stopped his explanation of Jesus to command water baptism.

There is only one gospel, so, it must be the same as her at the beginning!
I don't want to shock you but many "churches" offer a different, words-only "gospel" that saves no-one. You are right to leave them, but are you willing to try the original and only way of New Testament salvation?
Yes, at least to some extent. We are able to give ourselves purpose once we accept that we were not specifically designed to fufill a certian role. It helps us make something of our lives.

Or maybe humans were put on earth for another reason... but I suppose we won't ever know. I accept elements of this side of the argument too, though I suppose if we are not the only creatures in the universe then to have everything built for purpose would get very complicated very quickly :smile:

You say that we have no purpose in life and so are not accountable for our actions. What incentive is there to be a good person if there is no heaven and is there any punishment for being evil?
Original post by Skyewoods
You say that we have no purpose in life and so are not accountable for our actions. What incentive is there to be a good person if there is no heaven and is there any punishment for being evil?

Where did I say that we weren't accountable for our actions? I only meant that we may have not been built for a specific purpose, the world is still special as it provides the perfect conditions for wisdom and enlightenment so we should take care of it.

The main incentive to be good is karma - those who live good lives will be rewarded in this life or future lives. Being good reduces everyone's suffering which is one of the main goals of the faith. Those who are bad are always punished, just not by a God. Karma always comes back to bite you, if not immediately then in future lives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending