How can she afford this while at uni?

Watch
s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
This girl on my course is always travelling because she loves to travel. Whenever we have holidays she is out travelling even when coursework deadlines are the week after holidays. Where is she getting the money? She lives in accommodation and I'm not sure if she gets student finance because she's an international student. From what I hear about her parents jobs they could be rich but parents don't usually give their kids handouts especially when they have more than one in her case.
MoneyAintBad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's 2018 boyo, Nothing is out of possibility for even a 6/10 girl these days.

Thirst buckets on instagram offering to buy her things or send her places, or hell she could just be a complete potato with money and putting it all on credit cards. Some people are that stupid.
caringniece
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't worry about it. Maybe befriend her, and she'll tell you all her secrets. lol
Milax1x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most international students (especially Chinese) have extremely rich parents. Either rich parents or rich “boyfriend”
RickHolt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Maybe she travels cheaply. Maybe she made a load of money on investments. Maybe she works long hours while she's not traveling. Maybe she is just particularly good with money.

Doesn't have to be anything odd. People spend their money on different things. Social Media makes it really easy to highlight what you want to highlight.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I saved money all through my childhood (parents made me) and had £5,000 when I went to uni. I blew through that pretty damn quick. She could easily have done the same, but it will run out eventually!
H.N.I.C
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Stop Pocket Watching.
MathsLove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by s817)
This girl on my course is always travelling because she loves to travel. Whenever we have holidays she is out travelling even when coursework deadlines are the week after holidays. Where is she getting the money? She lives in accommodation and I'm not sure if she gets student finance because she's an international student. From what I hear about her parents jobs they could be rich but parents don't usually give their kids handouts especially when they have more than one in her case.
Why do you care ? My lord! Leave her alone
Siberiaan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Key word is International student ^^
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A lot of internationals have a lot of money. It's money from external sources (parents, sugar daddies, wonga.com, etc), savings made outside of term time/before she went to uni and/or very extreme budgeting. Those are the three options. It's not magic mate, a flight somewhere isn't always that expensive if you pick a cheap airline and don't go very far.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What does this have to do with you?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lots of possibilities:

- Rich parents (international so likely).
- Living very frugally.
- Other sources of income.I did things like pre-christmas jobs which can pay loads - I got £1800 for 2 weeks at Royal Mail for instance. Prestigious internships can pay way more. I also did a vaccine trial which paid £2000.
- University travel grants and other travel grants. Variably available.
- Travelling cheaply. I spent ~£1300 for 10 weeks in Nepal including flights. You can spend that in a week in Western Europe! You could spend that just staying in the UK!
- Have rich parents. Its probably rich parents.

(Original post by s817)
...parents don't usually give their kids handouts...
Are you kidding me? Its extremely common - 80% give something (averaging >£10,000) and 14% pay in full according to this survey. Most very much do. Its even formal government policy for domestic students - by assessing student loan amount based on parental income, they are obviously implying the deficit should be made up by the parents...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.54%
Excited but a bit nervous (128)
45.07%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.68%
I'm really nervous (56)
19.72%

Watched Threads