The Student Room Group

Mandatory one year military service after end of school

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
He's a fascist. No wait sorry, a peleoconservative.

Do your duty as a woman. For the fatherland.

Beautiful 👌🏻

Only a psychopath would object to this.
Original post by Davij038
Ah you’re still only young then. Spend some time with childless women in their late thirties (there’ll be a lot at university) , if that wont make you want to settle down and start a family in your mid twenties nothing will.

I have kids in my life because of nephews and nieces and I sure as hell don't want kids.
Ah you’re still only young then. Spend some time with childless women in their late thirties (there’ll be a lot at university) , if that wont make you want to settle down and start a family in your mid twenties nothing will.

Given the average age for doing so has slipped to 30+ in the UK, it would seem your advice is out of date.

Odd that.
Original post by Soppphhhie
I have kids in my life because of nephews and nieces and I sure as hell don't want kids.

But they’re not YOUR’S though. It is different when it’s your own. Sure I had cousins too, and they were annoying shits. This is different.

You haven’t had a relationship with someone you love and gone through that journey, and then have this, demanding, expensive, little bundle of perfection to care for and nurture and develop this amazing relationship with which you will have forever.
Original post by Drewski
Given the average age for doing so has slipped to 30+ in the UK, it would seem your advice is out of date.

Odd that.

A) sure, and that’s a problem because, among other reasons:

B) the peak age for having children is around your mid 20s, you don’t have to be a Nazi to understand that.
A) sure, and that’s a problem because, among other reasons:

B) the peak age for having children is around your mid 20s, you don’t have to be a Nazi to understand that.

Biologically, maybe. But actually having medicine and this thing called 'science' (look it up, you appear to not have heard of it) now negates that.

But financially? Unless you kill all your immediate family and get all the inheritance, most can't afford it.

And you know that perfectly well, but you're trolling on a Sunday night because your life is just as empty as those childless women you pretend to pity.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
Biologically, maybe. But actually having medicine and this thing called 'science' (look it up, you appear to not have heard of it) now negates that.

Just because you can do it doesn’t mean you should, or that it’s right.

Using your argument, why not wait till 60?

But financially? Unless you kill all your immediate family and get all the inheritance, most can't afford it.

Too an extent sure, but that’s because the system we live under has been designed that way- and also advocates importing its new population due to the ‘declining western birth rates’ - (which occur despite women overwhelmingly wishing on average to have 2 or more children.

you're trolling on a Sunday night

I’m not the one using ad hominem and strawmen. Lol, because I think traditional families are a good thing I must be anti science? Please.

Ok, fine I’m a loser for being on tsr on a Sunday night. I guess that makes 2 of us bud.
(edited 5 years ago)
To reinforce traditional gender roles, which will be useful for when they become wives and eventually mothers 👌🏻

Boys won’t get the much choice either, if it’s any consolation.

Why should we be reinforcing traditional gender roles?

Why do you assume that all girls will grow up either becoming and/or wanting to be wives and mothers?

What?

Firstly people tend to keep that kind of personal stuff private unless you are really close. So just hanging out with childless academics in their 30s will not teach you much. If anything you will probably get the impression all is well even if these people are having an existential despair over the prospect of never having children of their own.

You can find loads of examples of women saying they were unhappy about having children, loosing their career. Settling down with men you treat them like ****. All sorts. So hang out with some middle aged women in unhappy marriages. You also cannot trust people. Someone is unlikely to admit to regretting having children for obvious reasons.

Plus people are often just unhappy. Thinking children will fix your problems and make them go away is as foolish as thinking once you become successful everything will fix itself. Life doesn't work like that. Kurt Cobain getting to number 1 did not change the fact he had an unhappy childhood. And having a daughter and then marrying at 25 did not stop him killing himself either.

The natural human experience is to live in groups of people where women just get pregnant more as a side effect of sex and raising a child is a none alienating experience and you get help from everyone. The women share breast feeding. It is just a part of life. There is an army of babysitters on demand. You can leave the small children with the adolescents whilst you and the other adults go out and hunt/forage.Where as now you are walled away in your house with at best two adults. You have to keep a job and do all this extra work as well as bring up children on your own. There is no easy option conducive to happiness whether you have children or not. Your fascism will not change that.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by SHallowvale
Why should we be reinforcing traditional gender roles?

Because it is what is healthy and good for society and then as a whole.

Why do you assume that all girls will grow up either becoming and/or wanting to be wives and mothers?

I never said all- but the vast majority ie 95% plus will.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What?

Firstly people tend to keep that kind of personal stuff private unless you are really close. So just hanging out with childless academics in their 30s will not teach you much. If anything you will probably get the impression all is well even if these people are having an existential despair over the prospect of never having children of their own.

You can find loads of examples of women saying they were unhappy about having children, loosing their career. Settling down with men you treat them like ****. All sorts. So hang out with some middle aged women in unhappy marriages. You also cannot trust people. Someone is unlikely to admit to regretting having children for obvious reasons.

Plus people are often just unhappy. Thinking children will fix your problems and make them go away is as foolish as thinking once you become successful everything will fix itself. Life doesn't work like that. Kurt Cobain getting to number 1 did not change the fact he had an unhappy childhood. And having a daughter and then marrying at 25 did not stop him killing himself either.

The natural human experience is to live in groups of people where women just get pregnant more as a side effect of sex and raising a child is a none alienating experience and you get help from everyone. The women share breast feeding. It is just a part of life. There is an army of babysitters on demand. You can leave the small children with the adolescents whilst you and the other adults go out and hunt/forage.Where as now you are walled away in your house with at best two adults. You have to keep a job and do all this extra work as well as bring up children on your own. There is no easy option conducive to happiness whether you have children or not. Your fascism will not change that.

A) having children and a marriage is not a panacea. it can’t fix everything, but it is good for you. Say it’s as good for you as fresh air and exercise. It won’t help you much if you have stage 3 bowel cancer, but for must people it is a good thing that cures a lot of our social ills.

B) sure kurt cobain has Children and married but he was also anti Christian, had a history of drug addiction and married a psycho.

C) assuming I’m saying to just marry anyone.

D) Theres research that shows that those couples who wait until marriage to lose their virginity are happier and are far less likely to divorce

E) woah just read your last paragraph. Some of that I doubt, some of that I agree with, but doesn’t neccessarily believe it is right.

I’m not a naturalist, so whilst some things are natural and are good, some things are not.

F) I’m not saying that I have the answer to cure unhappiness, but I think that it leads to happiness in the majority of cases.
Because it is what is healthy and good for society and then as a whole.

Why?

Why is having woman being the sole carers in the family better than both partners sharing that role, or having the man be the sole carer?
(edited 5 years ago)
What if for religious reasons you cannot fight in a war?

Why is having woman being the sole carers in the family better than both partners sharing that role, or having the man be the sole carer?

Not the sole carer, but primary carer sure. It’s because they’re better suited to it and it’s what children naturally respond better to.

I think that keeping to tradition is a good in and of itself, unless it clearly causes harm which in this case I do not believe it does.

(Not claining to be an expert but I have 2 children and I was their primary carer for a year whilst my ex partner sorted her life out)
...because they’re better suited to it and it’s what children naturally respond better to.

Why do you believe either of those things?
Reply 55
Lots of people want to join the military anyway, well almost half of my close friends from school joined. And a couple of us want to join the RAF or Navy engineers after uni. I just don't see why it has to be mandatory, the career progression, and chance to travel etc is quite appealing already.

PS I totally disagree with the fascist ideology your promoting in the rest of your posts.
(edited 5 years ago)
Why do you believe either of those things?

Evidence both research and anecdotal based. The fact is that this has been the norm for two thousand years and has only been challenged recently by ... people with an ideological agenda
Evidence both research and anecdotal based. The fact is that this has been the norm for two thousand years and has only been challenged recently by ... people with an ideological agenda

Can you link me to this research? I'm curious to read it.

I don't personally have any agenda in thinking that both men and women should share roles in the family. It feels pretty common sense to me that equal input in child care is beneficial, generally speaking, for the child/children and the parents themselves.
Can you link me to this research? I'm curious to read it.

I don't personally have any agenda in thinking that both men and women should share roles in the family. It feels pretty common sense to me that equal input in child care is beneficial, generally speaking, for the child/children and the parents themselves.

There’s a ton of biological and psychological evidence that show this, and practically nothing for the other side except maybe a few opinion pieces.

https://www.heritage.org/marriage-and-family/commentary/making-the-case-traditional-parenting
A) having children and a marriage is not a panacea. it can’t fix everything, but it is good for you.

, but I think that it leads to happiness in the majority of cases.

"42% of UK marriages end in a divorce"
In the case of a Marriage where they have children, the man 99% of the time ends up paying Child support sucking him dry.

Sounds like a happy life to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending