Mandatory one year military service after end of school Watch

Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bulletzone)

"42% of UK marriages end in a divorce"
In the case of a Marriage where they have children, the man 99% of the time ends up paying Child support sucking him dry.

Sounds like a happy life to me.

Sure, but that’s through ‘no fault divorce’ whose legal architect has basically admitted it was a mistake. Thus us basically a case of the government I effect, financially incentivising divorce, which alongside child benefits has predictably lead to the rise of single mothers and ruined families.*

A great political tactic is to get something you hate, change it fundamentally and then when it predictably fails hail the hstvas showing the thing you hated is out of date or doesn’t work. A lot of people on the left believe this is what the Tories arecdoing with the NHS.

*(I was raised by a single mother for most of my childhood who did a wonderful job. I am not denigrating anyone but I am pointing out at his is is sub optimal and that me and countless other children have lost out on this.
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
id love it
Luke5125
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yes? No? What would be the rules?

I don't see any negative aspects of this idea. The recruited personnel wouldn't be sent to a war zone unless conflict is on our doorstep but would learn skills and gain experience to help them be civic, honourable and reliable.

There'd have to be exclusions for those with health problems or those with responsibilities such as having to care for sickly parents or fulfilling scholarship requirements which prohibit them from serving in the military for a year.

This would have to go hand in hand with other reforms, for example education, so that young persons in an effort to avoid service would enrol onto bogus courses like drama or music for which requirements are lax.

It would also allow people who may be less motivated than others to be a benefit rather than a drag on society to turn their lives around.
No, no one wants to be forced into military slavery!
(Original post by Davij038)
Yes, need not not be military. Put the girls in care homes for instance, boys can do a variety of work where they given some sort of skill but also weapon and drill training.
edefend JFK's JD
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Luke5125)
edefend JFK's JD
Wtf?
Lit teacher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is it with all these military service threads recently? We have a national shortage of engineers, nurses, dentists, care workers, doctors, teachers. The country is in a financial mess, with low productivity and levels of debt so high that people are dying on trolleys because there aren't enough hospital beds.
And your solution is to spend billions of pounds on taking teenagers away from their studies and instructing them how to kill each other???

Here's a better idea. Spend all that money on properly funding education, including maintenance grants and bursaries for anyone taking a shortage subject. Invest in young people through better funded schools that can afford extra-curricular provision. Reverse the cuts to youth services. Fund programmes for young offenders. Oh, and don't get involved in foreign wars based on control of oil, so that the military can focus on their proper job of defending the interests of the British people.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There’s a ton of biological and psychological evidence that show this, and practically nothing for the other side except maybe a few opinion pieces.

https://www.heritage.org/marriage-an...onal-parenting
Firstly, if there's scientific evidence to show this then please present it. What you've linked is an opinion piece published by an organisation with a clear bias.

Secondly, the article you've given doesn't support what you're saying. It only makes the argument for traditional families, IE a mother and father both raising their children as opposed to same sex families or single parent families. It does not make the argument that women are better at parenting than men or that children respond better to female parenting, rather that women nor men are superior when it comes to parenting and both should play a role in raising their children. This is does not agree what you have told me.

I don't agree that the roles of men and women in childcare are non-interchangeable. The statement that only women can offer nurture, comfort, etc, and only men can teach discipline, challenge, etc, is laughable and demonstrably false.

A quick question, did you read the article you linked yourself or did you just find it and paste it because it appeared to support your argument? If you did read it, are you aware of what we're talking about?
Luke5125
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wtf?
Just a phone glit h Mr. Megladone!
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally, I’d rather have a program / scheme that allows those unemployed for ‘x’ amount of time to serve in the military, provided they’re physically fit to do so (could work if we tidied up the benefits system a bit more)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
MJ1012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can't see any negatives whatsoever?
Really? Not the questionable moral conflict of forcing people to work and in a potentially dangerous environment?
Not the training, equipment and facility expense for people who won't give them any roi?
Not delaying people from embarking on their careers?
Not the well documented bullying and laddish environment in the military, that at least can normally met with "well that's what they signed up for"?
Not the risk associated with training? Didn't people die a couple of years back from being made to run in extreme heat?
Not people that are planning to make a career of it being surrounded by people that don't give a ****?
Not the societal disrupt of furthering a generation divide?
(1)Quantum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mandatory military service is very reasonable if you also support Slavery. since they are identical.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
One year of service would be a good idea, have it split between weapons training, other duties (cooking, repair, construction) and other useful life skills could also be taught.

I would hope it would instill nationalistic values and respect more than actually prepare men for war though, although afterwards I would allow the people who complete it to own bolt action rifles.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hell to the no
SpaceDucks
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Other countries like Israel have military service, but I can't say for sure whether it "works" well for them or not. Having said that, I think that having some kind of mandatory "service" in place that teaches life skills and instills confidence could be a great idea for people unsure what direction they want their life to take next. Maybe something like a lite Duke of Edinburgh's award.

That quote from Starship Troopers comes to mind, "service guarantees citizenship". It would be useful to instill some nationalistic values into our youth without turning them into outright Nazis, I've noticed that people like Tommy Robinson attract military age working-class teenage boys (and a few girls) because they identify with him, unfortunately though Tommy is in prison and from what I saw of the Free Tommy demonstration in Manchester yesterday his supporters are willing to disrupt traffic and public transport, and invade the Arndale centre (which is a semi-private place), in order to get their message across. The demonstration was being followed by teenage boys on bikes who were acting in an intimidating manner.

So, yes, I think that a mandatory service after school should be introduced but I can't say for sure whether military service would be a good idea. But something similar that instills nationalistic values and discipline could help disadvantage and disenfranchised youth to find direction in their life.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Too much hassle for it to be worth doing.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, need not not be military. Put the girls in care homes for instance, boys can do a variety of work where they given some sort of skill but also weapon and drill training.
I'm up for the idea also, it needs to be introduced to reinstall a discipline which has been sadly missing modern society. The obvious answer to this is to introduce corporal punishment in schools then the need would be redundant however.

I think we need to either to ditch equality full stop or deal with equality properly. Segregated sexes is not ideal, we need to allow people to have choice of what they should do put people where they naturally should be, a butch lesbian will be a hell of a lot more use in a competition male environment than a camp male fresh out of a tanning and make over session
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 3 weeks ago
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
I'm up for the idea also, it needs to be introduced to reinstall a discipline which has been sadly missing modern society. The obvious answer to this is to introduce capital punishment in schools then the need would be redundant however.
...I hope you meant to say corporal punishment, rather than capital?
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
...I hope you meant to say corporal punishment, rather than capital?
Pmsl yes.

Edited Original, that's a bit severe

'where's your maths homework Lucy?'

'Forgot it, sir'

'again! That's it off to the Gallows Pole, you had enough warnings'

thanks for correcting me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.54%
Excited (156)
9.14%
Worried (306)
17.93%
Terrified (379)
22.2%
Meh (167)
9.78%
Confused (37)
2.17%