Scottish NABs Watch

Ellie Philip
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi, I’m in 3rd year at high school in Scotland. I’ve heard that this year I may be taking some sort of test called NABs but when I looked it up I could only find things about higher and national exams. Does anyone know what they are and if we take them in 3rd year.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Ellie Philip)
Hi, I’m in 3rd year at high school in Scotland. I’ve heard that this year I may be taking some sort of test called NABs but when I looked it up I could only find things about higher and national exams. Does anyone know what they are and if we take them in 3rd year.
There isn't really a straightforward answer to this one, as it depends exactly what your teacher is using the term 'NAB' to refer to. If an older sibling/friend has told you about this based on their experiences, there have been a lot of changes recently, so how your school does things will probably have changed a fair bit since then...

In the old system (like before CfE, 5 years ago), NABs were unit assessments that you sat and had to pass.

Then, when National 5s and the new CfE Highers/AHs were introduced, NABs were replaced by UASPs. However, at that point, and still today, some teachers and pupils still refer to them as 'NABs'. NABs are no longer a thing, but when the term is used now, the person means UASPs. You had to pass all of your UASPs (unit assessments, with the standard set by the SQA) to pass the course

However, starting in the 2018 exams, you no longer need to pass or sit the UASPs in order to pass the course (this is being phased in, so will apply to Nat 5 and Higher exams for 2019 and all 2020 exams). Anyone not sitting the final exam may however get unit passes, for which a UASP would be sat. Most schools will give unit assessment tests and still refer to them as NABs/UASPs, however for most students expecting good Nat 5 passes, these will now be pretty much only of internal value.

From what you have said, it sounds like your school is referring to you having to sit unit assessments, which you don't need to worry yourself too much about. Depending on your school, some subjects may do some of these in S3, however, I would expect you to do most, if not all, of these throughout S4.

Hope this helps
Scottish15
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Ellie Philip)
They are mini assessments which were needed to be completed in order to sit the final exam though they aren't anymore. My school does them to see if you are able to pass the outcomes to get an idea if you're capable of doing the exam. I think they can also be used to secure a National 4 qualification if you do not pass the National 5 exam.
Ellie Philip
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Thankyou that’s really helpful! I think that’s what my school does but I’m not sure
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish