The Student Room Group

HCPC training

I have seen a university job that will provide HCPC training during the course of the employment. Say if I wanted to work in the NHS in the future and I complete my HCPC training is this all I need for applying for NHS scientific jobs? I've read something about needing a IBMS accredited degree as well but dont fully understand. As long as you gain the HCPC training does this take precedence over anything else?
To attain HPCP accreditation you need to complete a training portfolio with the IBMS. So when applying for jobs with the NHS as a biomedical scientist you’ll often see on the job advert that their laboratory is IMBS accredited. This means that they have the correct foundations to train you so that you can become HCPC registered. IBMS and HPCP are fairly strict about who can and can’t register.

It’s best to complete the IBMS portfolio on a placement year during your degree as when you graduate, you can apply for HCPC registration straight away. If you don’t do a placement year you might struggle to get a job as most labs prefer not to train graduates and would take a trained person first. They usually make this quite clear on job adverts too in the person specification.

The IBMS have a list of institutions and degrees that theta accredit on their website.

Just to add, the be a biomedical scientist, yes you would need a degree in biomedical science or healthcare science that allows you to complete the IBMS portfolio for HPCP registration.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Can I complete the IBMS portfolio without having a biomed degree? I have a regular biology degree.

Original post by Purmerend
To attain HPCP accreditation you need to complete a training portfolio with the IBMS. So when applying for jobs with the NHS as a biomedical scientist you’ll often see on the job advert that their laboratory is IMBS accredited. This means that they have the correct foundations to train you so that you can become HCPC registered. IBMS and HPCP are fairly strict about who can and can’t register.

It’s best to complete the IBMS portfolio on a placement year during your degree as when you graduate, you can apply for HCPC registration straight away. If you don’t do a placement year you might struggle to get a job as most labs prefer not to train graduates and would take a trained person first. They usually make this quite clear on job adverts too in the person specification.

The IBMS have a list of institutions and degrees that theta accredit on their website.

Just to add, the be a biomedical scientist, yes you would need a degree in biomedical science or healthcare science that allows you to complete the IBMS portfolio for HPCP registration.
Original post by Negotiator
Can I complete the IBMS portfolio without having a biomed degree? I have a regular biology degree.

You will need to have your degree assessed by the IBMS but in short the answer is probably no as you won’t have studied clinical modules.

They will request that you complete top-up modules which your prospective employer may pay for. Many employers offering HPCP registration accommodate this if needed but you’ll need to discuss this with them.

Quick Reply

Latest