Music 13
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone applying to both these courses for 2019/2020, would love to do secondary but there are hardly any jobs coming up for secondary in NI and I wouldn't be able to move to England for work. Currently work more with primary aged children which I adore so either or I think id be very happy in! Can any current or past UU pgce students give an idea of the average workload, for example the first few weeks and work in the evenings etc compared to placements?
computed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Music 13)
Hi everyone applying to both these courses for 2019/2020, would love to do secondary but there are hardly any jobs coming up for secondary in NI and I wouldn't be able to move to England for work. Currently work more with primary aged children which I adore so either or I think id be very happy in! Can any current or past UU pgce students give an idea of the average workload, for example the first few weeks and work in the evenings etc compared to placements?
The workload is about the same, except that you are not having to be formally observed or to create a file.
If you can stay on top of the workload, you will be fine.

Once you are in school, you quickly pick up a 'rhythm', and once you're in it, everything will become second nature for you. As a teacher, you only have as much work to do as you create for yourself.

Primary, I think, is easier to manage in terms of workload and it can be more fun, however secondary is where you can share your knowledge and expertise.
Music 13
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by computed)
The workload is about the same, except that you are not having to be formally observed or to create a file.
If you can stay on top of the workload, you will be fine.

Once you are in school, you quickly pick up a 'rhythm', and once you're in it, everything will become second nature for you. As a teacher, you only have as much work to do as you create for yourself.

Primary, I think, is easier to manage in terms of workload and it can be more fun, however secondary is where you can share your knowledge and expertise.
Do you mean the workload is rh same.between primary and secondary pgce, or between pgce and an actual teaching post?do you create a file and be observed on both pgce courses?
computed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Music 13)
Do you mean the workload is rh same.between primary and secondary pgce, or between pgce and an actual teaching post?do you create a file and be observed on both pgce courses?
I can only speak for secondary, and I was saying the workload is roughly the same. Obviously it will be much less as you will be able to plan lessons on the fly or change things up, but not as intense.

As far as I know, you need to create a file for both primary and secondary, as this is how you are assessed against the Teacher's Standards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (68)
17.99%
No one else does (120)
31.75%
I'm embarrassed about my background (40)
10.58%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (128)
33.86%
We don't use a video platform (6)
1.59%
I don't have a camera (9)
2.38%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
1.85%

Watched Threads