Gonna have a physics tutor during this
And I’m a hard worker
On AQA
AcornFalls
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Physics A-level is designed to be a separate course to maths. There shouldn't be much more than GCSE maths content (at least with the spec I'm doing). So in that regards, maths isn't necassary.

However, it is helpful. And if you want to become a physics teacher, knowing maths to go along with it would make more sense. Physics courses at uni also like it when you take maths because all physics is maths, really.

that being said, if you really don't want to take maths, and you won't enjoy it, i don't see the point doing it. Let someone else say something
usfbullz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you are applying to do a Physics degree, most universities will require A Level Mathematics.

I do not know any universities that do not require maths to study physics at degree level.
Black Water
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by rachelleemasalaa)
Wanna become a physics teacher
Wanna take physics for a level
A level
Physics
Geography
Business\sociology
Do I have to take maths
All my science teacher keep saying I have to
And I’m a hard worker
On AQA
To study Physics at university, most universities will require A-Level Maths. However, you could do a foundation year where a mixture of different A-Levels can be taken excluding Maths and Physics depending on the University and you’ll be able to study Physics.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A level
Physics
Geography
Business\sociology
Do I have to take maths
And I’m a hard worker
On AQA
The maths in physics a-level is not enough to be able to do physics at degree level. You do not even touch on calculus in physics alevel for example.
yolkie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Most physics courses at uni require the same or higher grade in maths than they do in physics.
DerivativeName
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you want to be a physics teacher, you probably are going to want a physics degree. If you want a physics degree you will need maths. Further Maths is also useful. Alevel physics can probably be managed with GCSE Maths and a bit of extra work with logarithms and mechanics etc.Maths would make it easier but isn’t necessary. Uni level physics is applied maths. It has a lot of overlap with uni level maths, and you will have to learn basically the FM course level of maths in the first year. If you don’t enjoy maths, what is it about physics you like?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ClaireBrookess
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by AcornFalls)
Physics A-level is designed to be a separate course to maths. There shouldn't be much more than GCSE maths content (at least with the spec I'm doing). So in that regards, maths isn't necassary.

However, it is helpful. And if you want to become a physics teacher, knowing maths to go along with it would make more sense. Physics courses at uni also like it when you take maths because all physics is maths, really.

that being said, if you really don't want to take maths, and you won't enjoy it, i don't see the point doing it. Let someone else say something
What course are you doing? X
Risk08
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A level
Physics
Geography
Business\sociology
Do I have to take maths
And I’m a hard worker
On AQA
So I had a non-maths mate in my physics class and he did fine but just struggled at different things than we did. I would say the new AQA alevel physcis is easier if you're stronger at maths. If you want to be a teacher probably best to take maths though. If Physics is right for you then you should like maths. Why on Earth are you considering Business\sociology? Neither will be valuable at all with you others. Business isn't even recognized as a useful alevel. Take maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (47)
9.11%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.71%
No, but I want to start (186)
36.05%
No, I am unable to (119)
23.06%
No, I chose not to (150)
29.07%