miamow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I have decided to do Biology, Geography and Health and social care for my A levels and I want to do Child Nursing in university.
My problem is, the h&sc is the edexcel btec extended certificate which is equivalent to one A level and the entry requirements for most universities is BBB at A level and I'm not sure if the btec will be allowed? (just going to mention again that it's worth one a level)

So I'm really stuck and unsure of what to do. If anybody has any advice, all would be useful!

Thankyou x
miamow
Rep:
?
any advice would be appreciated!
laurenai
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you check the universities admissions information, It will tell you what qualifications they accept.
miamow
Rep:
?
Thankyou!
bluebells1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know lots of people who do two a levels and a btec so I think unis are used to it. I think they make individual alternative offers like BBM or something or do it in UCAS points x
miamow
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluebells1)
I know lots of people who do two a levels and a btec so I think unis are used to it. I think they make individual alternative offers like BBM or something or do it in UCAS points x
Thankyou so much!
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some universities accept BTEC but generally the top universities don't accept BTEC. Honestly if I were you I'd just do an A level instead of the BTEC so you can keep your options open for as many unis as possible. It's your decision though but in answer to your question: some unis do, some don't - make sure you read the full entry requirements because if they do accept BTEC they'll probably mention it, if it's not mentioned then assume they don't.
miamow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
Some universities accept BTEC but generally the top universities don't accept BTEC. Honestly if I were you I'd just do an A level instead of the BTEC so you can keep your options open for as many unis as possible. It's your decision though but in answer to your question: some unis do, some don't - make sure you read the full entry requirements because if they do accept BTEC they'll probably mention it, if it's not mentioned then assume they don't.
Thankyou so much!

Do you think that I could do the health and social care (equivalent to 2 A levels) and A level Biology?

I don't really aspire to get into the 'top' universities (I know it sounds awful but it's just not an aspiration of mine) so do you think they would still be suitable?x
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by miamow)
Thankyou so much!

Do you think that I could do the health and social care (equivalent to 2 A levels) and A level Biology?

I don't really aspire to get into the 'top' universities (I know it sounds awful but it's just not an aspiration of mine) so do you think they would still be suitable?x
It just depends really. I would suggest doing some research into universities that youd be interested in going to and seeing what they ask for.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Most universities accept btecs if they are in appropriate subjects including Oxford. Pearson who run Btec claim 95% of universities accept them. Check the university's entrance requirements for the subjects you are interested in as some do not accept for every subject. If they do acept them top universities will require D or D*
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by miamow)
Hi,

I have decided to do Biology, Geography and Health and social care for my A levels and I want to do Child Nursing in university.
My problem is, the h&sc is the edexcel btec extended certificate which is equivalent to one A level and the entry requirements for most universities is BBB at A level and I'm not sure if the btec will be allowed? (just going to mention again that it's worth one a level)

So I'm really stuck and unsure of what to do. If anybody has any advice, all would be useful!

Thankyou x
The large majority of universities accept BTEC (over 95%). Especially for subjects like Nursing where the BTEC in H&SC is probably the best preparation.

Leeds (3rd in UK for Nursing) - DDD - BSc Nursing (Child) - https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/h396/nur...d-bsc#section3

Surrey (4th in UK for Nursing) - DDM - Nursing Studies (Children's Nursing) BSc (Hons) - https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergradua...ldrens-nursing

UEA (5th for Nursing) - DDD - BSc Children's Nursing - https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergr...dren-s-nursing

Other top unis:

Southampton - D*DD - BN (Hons) Bachelor of Nursing (Child) - https://www.southampton.ac.uk/health...ge#overview%0A

Kings College London - DDM (Health and Social or Applied Science) - BSc Nursing with Registration as a Children's Nurse - https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...y-requirements

Most universities only list their requirements for the BTEC Extended Diploma, but as a general rule if they accept the Extended they will most likely accept a combination of certificates/sub dips and A levels.

Also, you have every chance of going to a top university (see above). For example: Kings College London (as mentioned above) state offers for combinations of qualifications too. So for you it would be:

Kings College London - BSc Nursing with Registration as a Children's Nurse - https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...y-requirements - 'Merit in either Health & Social Care or Applied Sciences, and two A levels at grades BB OR Merit in any other subject, and two A levels at grades B with at least one in a Science subject'
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you should check whether the extended certificate is acceptable as certificates dont normally class as equivalent to a levels but diplomas do.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
I think you should check whether the extended certificate is acceptable as certificates dont normally class as equivalent to a levels but diplomas do.
I believe the Extended Certificate is the new name for the Subsidiary Diploma (worth 1 A level). The Certificate is what you get for the first year of a Subsidiary Diploma hence worth less than an A level (half).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads

Latest