Turn on thread page Beta

Early Decision and UK Unis?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've been researching and asking people (my counsellor, admissions tutors, etc) about this but no one has given me a straight answer.

Hypothetically: If I apply for ED at, say, Dartmouth but get accepted to Oxford, would I be able to choose Oxford over Dartmouth? I am aware that ED is more of a moral, honor thing, and that schools legally can't do anything to me, but assume that I am a terrible person who doesn't care; would it affect me on the Oxford side? In grad school?

I've heard everything ranging from "Oxford wouldn't know" to "You'll get blacklisted for life at every institution in the country" to "Oxford would rescind your offer" so I am extremely confused.

Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you're accepted ED into Dartmouth and also accepted into Oxford, and choose Oxford, you can withdraw from the ED agreement fine, but you have to understand that universities expect those accepted ED to attend and you may be denying someone else who applied ED a place at Dartmouth, but they may have been rejected to make space for you. Additionally, the uni might discredit your school/counsellor since they had to sign an agreement too, thus affecting future applicants from your school. Oxford won't rescind your offer, but Dartmouth won't be pleased.

If the university you apply ED to is not your 100% top uni over every single uni everywhere, do not apply to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riacchi)
    So I've been researching and asking people (my counsellor, admissions tutors, etc) about this but no one has given me a straight answer.

Hypothetically: If I apply for ED at, say, Dartmouth but get accepted to Oxford, would I be able to choose Oxford over Dartmouth? I am aware that ED is more of a moral, honor thing, and that schools legally can't do anything to me, but assume that I am a terrible person who doesn't care; would it affect me on the Oxford side? In grad school?

I've heard everything ranging from "Oxford wouldn't know" to "You'll get blacklisted for life at every institution in the country" to "Oxford would rescind your offer" so I am extremely confused.

Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks!
    Considering that they are based on different systems, I don't think it would be a problem. However, I highly suggest that you consider it carefully, since there are severe consequences for rescinding your offer over an ED decision. As someone else already said, by accepting an offer, they assume that you will be attending their college/university and it will reflect you greatly in a negative light if you were to back out.

While I'm not sure if this may apply to Oxford, but it's highly possible that Dartmouth would contact all of its affiliate colleges and ask them to rescind your acceptance if they had known about this (I would presume they would contact other Ivy League colleges and top-ranking colleges in the US). It's not worth the risk.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.