The Student Room Group

Getting (trans) boyfriend a watch for his birthday?

My trans boyfriend's birthday is coming up. I want to buy him something and I was thinking of maybe getting him a watch, but I'm concerned that it might be a bad idea...
This is probably a dumb question, but would a men's watch fit his wrist, both before and after he started testosterone?

(He's only recently realised he was trans and I don't want to mess this up. Before he told me I was going to get him a necklace or a bracelet but I don't want to do anything that might feed his dysphoria and he thinks necklaces and bracelets are "girly" and I don't want to make him feel girly. I love him regardless of gender or pronouns or whatever and I want to show him that my feelings for him haven't changed but also that I've adjusted to having a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend and that I can treat him as a guy)

(also getting it engraved with happy birthday [chosen name] - good or bad idea?)

Scroll to see replies

It depends on what size his wrist is and how much the fit of the watch can be adjusted etc. Generally wrist size wouldn’t change that much unless he started building muscle, and even then it wouldn’t change a huge amount
A woman's watch will fit a woman's body, a man's watch will fit a man's body. What body does your boyfriend have?
Original post by Anonymous
My trans boyfriend's birthday is coming up. I want to buy him something and I was thinking of maybe getting him a watch, but I'm concerned that it might be a bad idea...
This is probably a dumb question, but would a men's watch fit his wrist, both before and after he started testosterone?

(He's only recently realised he was trans and I don't want to mess this up. Before he told me I was going to get him a necklace or a bracelet but I don't want to do anything that might feed his dysphoria and he thinks necklaces and bracelets are "girly" and I don't want to make him feel girly. I love him regardless of gender or pronouns or whatever and I want to show him that my feelings for him haven't changed but also that I've adjusted to having a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend and that I can treat him as a guy)

(also getting it engraved with happy birthday [chosen name] - good or bad idea?)

What size is his wrist ?
@ANM775
Idk the answer but this is such a lovely post, your BF is lucky to have you :hugs:
Couldn't you get a band that would fit his size wrist that could be custom added to the watch?
Reply 6
Original post by SkyRunner61
It depends on what size his wrist is and how much the fit of the watch can be adjusted etc. Generally wrist size wouldn’t change that much unless he started building muscle, and even then it wouldn’t change a huge amount

He plans to take testosterone and start it within a year (hopefully) and when we were researching it the side effects said it might promote muscle growth and make it easier for him to bulk up, and he said that when he's waiting for top surgery and after he heals from the surgery he'll be going to the gym more because it's meant to help him prep for the operation and help him recover, too.

Original post by Judge Jules
What size is his wrist ?
@ANM775

IDK tbh... it's a little difficult to measure it without giving away the surprise lol but this bracelet he used to wear measures around 20cm?

Original post by CoolCavy
Idk the answer but this is such a lovely post, your BF is lucky to have you :hugs:

Aw! Thank you, although I'd say I'm the lucky one!

Original post by Roryroars
Couldn't you get a band that would fit his size wrist that could be custom added to the watch?

That sounds practical. So buy the band and the watch face separate and put them together?

Original post by Pantera Fan Club
A woman's watch will fit a woman's body, a man's watch will fit a man's body. What body does your boyfriend have?

My boyfriend has his body. What's the difference?
As someone with ridiculously small wrists, I'm well aware that building 'wrist muscle' is similar to gaining eyebrow muscle.

The forearm muscles bulk further towards the elbow, not at the wrist - it'll never get significantly bigger or smaller, regardless of what he does, unless he has bone implants.
Reply 8
As someone with ridiculously small wrists, I'm well aware that building 'wrist muscle' is similar to gaining eyebrow muscle.

The forearm muscles bulk further towards the elbow, not at the wrist - it'll never get significantly bigger or smaller, regardless of what he does, unless he has bone implants.

Bone implants? I don't think that's something he wants. Or has even looked into lol. His wrists aren't especially slender so do you reckon a men's watch would be okay?
I'd say go bigger men's watch rather than smaller women's watch. If it's a leather strap you can always punch in another hole to tighten it more.
I'm a woman and tend to wear men's watches because my dyslexia means I find it hard to read the time, so need a bigger watch face!
Bone implants? I don't think that's something he wants. Or has even looked into lol. His wrists aren't especially slender so do you reckon a men's watch would be okay?

Bone implants was a joke :biggrin: just my way of saying wrists are pretty much impossible to thicken up. Yeah, a man's watch should fit - most of them are made to fit a wide range of sizes. You probably know how big his wrists are relative to yours, so perhaps try them on yourself and work out how they'd look/fit on him?
Original post by StealingThunder
I'd say go bigger men's watch rather than smaller women's watch. If it's a leather strap you can always punch in another hole to tighten it more.
I'm a woman and tend to wear men's watches because my dyslexia means I find it hard to read the time, so need a bigger watch face!

Men's watch, leather strap. Got it. Thank you!!!
Bone implants was a joke :biggrin: just my way of saying wrists are pretty much impossible to thicken up. Yeah, a man's watch should fit - most of them are made to fit a wide range of sizes. You probably know how big his wrists are relative to yours, so perhaps try them on yourself and work out how they'd look/fit on him?

Oh thank g-d that was a terrifying concept and i felt like I had to play along lol but it really did sound like some human centipede sh*t. And that's a good idea. His wrists are a little bigger than mine so maybe something that fits my wrist + a finger in the band?
Reply 13
Watches will usually come in various sizes, i mean the same model of watch that is, for instance my omega comes in small/medium/large faces to fit the person its for :smile:
Original post by Napp
Watches will usually come in various sizes, i mean the same model of watch that is, for instance my omega comes in small/medium/large faces to fit the person its for :smile:

There's no not weird way to ask this but does size matter to men?
Reply 15
There's no not weird way to ask this but does size matter to men?

Umm that’s hard to answer because, as your question states, it depends on the size of their wrist usually and also down to personal taste. Me personally I went for a medium as it looks better in me but some people like big chunky watches.
When buying these sorts of gifts I’d reccomend not keeping it too much of a surprise and getting their input
Original post by Napp
Umm that’s hard to answer because, as your question states, it depends on the size of their wrist usually and also down to personal taste. Me personally I went for a medium as it looks better in me but some people like big chunky watches.
When buying these sorts of gifts I’d reccomend not keeping it too much of a surprise and getting their input

Noted. At this stage I'm debating just bringing him along with me, although it would sort of ruin the surprise... Maybe I could just get him to walk past jewellers with me and see if he looks at anything for more than a few seconds lol.
Reply 17
Noted. At this stage I'm debating just bringing him along with me, although it would sort of ruin the surprise... Maybe I could just get him to walk past jewellers with me and see if he looks at anything for more than a few seconds lol.

Indeed, there's a subtle middle ground you can occupy and get his opinion "on the down low" as you said just happen to walk past a watch shop and say something like ooh that looks nice [or something] and its fairly easy to segway the conversation into what type of style or watch itself he would like.

That sounds practical. So buy the band and the watch face separate and put them together?

Yes seperate
Most watches will fit 99percent of the population, maybe unless you're some Brock Lesnar looking mofo. Dw about his wrist changing size, thats not happening. Theres almost no muscle on the wrist that really pops out... Tense your wrist and you'll see... No difference.

You just need to look at his body and how big he is to see howmany mm you want the watch itself to be. I'm talking about the face of the watch ofc. You don't need to know the mm but if you go to the shops you'll know roughly what is gonna look to big or small on him.

I have a lot of watches, after buys both online and offline I can tell you its way better to buy online. Just look for a trustworthy source and you can buy a the same watch for a much better price

Quick Reply

Latest