The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Applying to Oxbridge. 2:1 now but can get 1st overall

I'm considering applying to Oxford and Cambridge and I'm in my second year.

I currently have a very low borderline 2:1, but I believe I can easily get a first overall by next year.

My transcript is quite unusual, I got bad grades at the start of the year but A grades at the end, as I had learnt to pace myself properly, so the evidence of my ability is there. Furthermore, I'm doing PPE, and my grade was dragged down by Economics, I achieved around 68% for each of politics and philosophy, and I want to do the masters in political theory, so my strong suits are relevant.

I will also support my application with research assistant experience, a research institute project, and a possibly a publication of one of my a grade essays, amongst other things.

I want to go into academia so my motives are there. I believe my application will be compelling apart from parts of my transcript.

Is it a realistic possibility that I could receive a conditional offer with all of this considered? Or would it be better to apply next year once I had achieved an actual first?

Thank you, Jamie
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JayWalls
I'm considering applying to Oxford and Cambridge and I'm in my second year.

I currently have a very low borderline 2:1, but I believe I can easily get a first overall by next year.

My transcript is quite unusual, I got bad grades at the start of the year but A grades at the end, as I had learnt to pace myself properly, so the evidence of my ability is there. Furthermore, I'm doing PPE, and my grade was dragged down by Economics, I achieved around 68% for each of politics and philosophy, and I want to do the masters in political theory, so my strong suits are relevant.

I will also support my application with research assistant experience, a research institute project, and a possibly a publication of one of my a grade essays, amongst other things.

I want to go into academia so my motives are there. I believe my application will be compelling apart from parts of my transcript.

Is it a realistic possibility that I could receive a conditional offer with all of this considered? Or would it be better to apply next year once I had achieved an actual first?

Thank you, Jamie

No one can predict this. Apply and see. Worst case you will be rejected and can apply again.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Saying you can 'easily' get a First sounds extremely cocky. Going from 60ish% to 70+% is not easy. Good luck doing it though.

Not sure why you think that's 'quite unusual'. Again, good luck keeping up the A grades.

Unless it's in a peer-reviewed journal I doubt it counts for anything, and I doubt any will publish undergrad essays.

Well, that wouldn't make it compelling then.

I would think that applying with a borderline 2.1 will make you uncompetitive, and personally I would rather apply next year with (hopefully) a First in the bag. But it's up to you. You've only got the application fee to lose. Good luck with it all.
Reply 3
Would there be any disadvantage applying for the second time next year rather than the first time next year?
Would there be any disadvantage applying for the second time next year rather than the first time next year?

Nope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending