The Student Room Group

Somali father defends FGM after daughter 10 bleeds to death

Tragic occurrence made even more so as its the result of such a barbarous activity. I mean "respecting culture" is one thing but when it involves "excising" the clitoris, lopping off other bits and otherwise engaging in what can roundly be described as torture a line in the sand should be drawn.
It does rather remind me of the tale of what General Napier said to the locals in India with respect to the practice of Sati when he was confronted with the "its part of our culture" argument. his reply was rather apt

“Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs.

The father of a 10-year-old girl who died after undergoing female genital mutilation (FGM) in Somalia has defended the practice.
Dahir Nur's daughter died of blood loss on 17 July, two days after being taken to a traditional circumciser.
But he told Voice of America (VOA) "people in the area are content" with FGMeven considering the dangers, adding it is the country's "culture".
According to Unicef, 98% of girls and women in Somalia have undergone FGM.
This is despite Somalia's constitution prohibiting - although not outlawing - the practice, which involves the partial or total removal of the female external genitalia or other injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons and can cause profound health problems.

Dr Abdirahman Omar Hassan, director of Hanano hospital in the city of Dhusamareb, told VoA he had never seen "anyone who was mutilated like that in my life".
Dr Hassan, who was on the team who tried to save the girl, also revealed she had caught tetanus, most likely from the unsterilised equipment used during the original procedure.
But Mr Nur said he did not want to pursue charges, and held no one to blame for his daughter's death.
Hawa Aden Mohamed, director of women's rights group Galkayo Education Center for Peace and Development (GECPD), pointed out even if he did, it would be largely meaningless.
"The woman who performed the operation has not been arrested but even if she was, there is no law that would ensure she is punished for the act," she told news agency Reuters.
"This is just one among many cases happening on a daily basis across Somalia."
Efforts to criminalise FGM in Somalia have been stalled by politicians, who fear it will alienate voters who believe it is a religious requirement, while girls who have not undergone it are reportedly taunted for not being cut.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44918795

Scroll to see replies

Honestly, some parents...
Disgusting.
Reply 3
My mum would have beat my dads ass if he had done that. Somali by the way
Original post by Muudeey
My mum would have beat my dads ass if he had done that. Somali by the way

Just beat his ass? More like "disappear" and never be heard or saw of again.
Things like this are rampant in some countries unfortunately. Many of these countries practice disgusting cultures and customs. Legit, where tf do these things come from? Like how does FGM rise to prevalence?
Reply 6
Original post by somemightsay888
Things like this are rampant in shithole countries unfortunately. Many of these countries practice disgusting cultures and customs. Legit, where tf do these things come from? Like how does FGM rise to prevalence?

Unfortunately this one is believed to have arisen from quite a utilitarian belief that if they make sex as unpleasant as possible for the girl the temptation to run off and hump around would be severely diminished. Another belief [depending on what form this heinous act takes] is that it is more "pleasurable" for the man. all in all a truly revolting practice.
Reply 7
Original post by CTLeafez
Just beat his ass? More like "disappear" and never be heard or saw of again.

Nooo. I mean what I say. My mum has a temper and is rlly scary when she lets loose. She would literally beat his ass and probs try to murder him if he ever pulled this sort of stunt
weird

and in a bad way

can't say "LOLE" to that
Should be outlawed , anyone who continues the practice should be hung.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/newborn-bleeds-to-death-after-doctor-persuades-parents-to-have-him-circumcised-in-canada-a6710061.html%3famp

This isn’t the first time this happened. I found another article where someone died, bleeding to death, from FGM. Oh, wait a second, this was from the circumcision of a baby boy. Never mind, that’s fine.

We don’t really have a moral leg to stand on here while Male circumcision remains legal
(edited 5 years ago)
Not really surprised given what a backward nation it is.
Savage.
Horrible, but there are Somali activists who try to push back against the prevalence of FGM in Somalis. There are women who are victims of FGM who love their culture and want to see the country do better (like my mother), and there are men against it.

But fine there are people who want to make like Trump and call countries they know nothing about 'sh*tholes'.
Original post by Napp
Tragic occurrence made even more so as its the result of such a barbarous activity. I mean "respecting culture" is one thing but when it involves "excising" the clitoris, lopping off other bits and otherwise engaging in what can roundly be described as torture a line in the sand should be drawn.
It does rather remind me of the tale of what General Napier said to the locals in India with respect to the practice of Sati when he was confronted with the "its part of our culture" argument. his reply was rather apt

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44918795

Who cares what some colonizer General said. No need to make generalising comments when a people of a non-white country do something oppressive.

Why can't you say FGM wrong, and I dunno, do something supportive for Somali women and organizations working against it?

Btw I wonder just how many women died from Britain's civilising mission - which included slavery and the rape of African women.
Original post by Napp
What are you whining about?

Your uninformed and insensitive post.
ugh
Reply 17
what a barbaric culture
what kind of man allows his daughter to be brutalised like this
I have no sympathy for the perpetrators of such acts
where are the mother's? why are they so silent while their children are tortured like this?
Original post by Napp
So you like mutilating little girls? You're disgusting.

Horrible and yet again INSENSITIVE. I am a Somali girl whose mother protected her from FGM by pretending to my extended family that I had it already done.

I in no way support something I feared happening to me.

I hate TSR for having trolls like you think they can post about whatever they like.

You don't care about actual victims of FGM, you just want to act culturally superior. Thats it.
Reply 19
Original post by the beer
ugh

What?

Quick Reply

Latest