Why is there something rather than nothing?

Watch
username3457004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Think about it, our whole reality, everything we know is something. But why does it have to be that way, wouldn't it be better if there was nothing?
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It just is
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ha, this was a second year metaphysics essay question when I did my undergrad degree half a lifetime ago.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why not?
I'm God
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You wouldn't know if it was better as there would be nothing.

Nothing is better or worse than nothing because nothing is nothing more than nothing.

Nothing in this makes sense
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We simply don't know whether there is a why to everything, that's all there is for us to know. We can't tell why the laws of physics are what they are. Faith is something that may occur when there is a void to fill, one that cannot be explained scientifically or any other way.
Bluelax01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most things to us are nothing, people don’t care about other people or possessions unless they have a sentimental value or if they mean something to the person, at the end of the day everything is just a number on a piece of paper and no one really cares about anyone unless you or a possession is truly special to someone ( a bit repetitive I know). What I’m trying to say is almost all life is meaningless. We all have a group of people or possessions that we hold dear but to people we don’t know or who I loved ones don’t know they’re just another group of people they can let die or steal from.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheCoolStool)
Think about it, our whole reality, everything we know is something. But why does it have to be that way, wouldn't it be better if there was nothing?
It's just not logically possible.

The difference between something and nothing is that something exists, and nothing doesn't. Nothing can't exist because that would be a logical contradiction.

Parmenides of Elea, 514 B.C. (or 1085 B.M.), end of story.
Milax1x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nothing can’t exist. There is always something. If nothing is defined as being or containing nothing then nothingness is impossible
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads