Have your say: Do I need a TV license at university? Watch

Vic Vinegar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
We've just uploaded our guide to whether or not you should buy a TV license at university. Personally, I have one as I watch a lot of live sport, but other than that there's little reason for me to have one.

What do you think? Do you have one? Do you use it?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One tip: buy it quarterly. Chances are you won’t be in halls/student house needing a license for 3 months over the summer. Quarterly payments are the easiest to cancel and avoid paying for the time you don’t need. Weekly/monthly payment is the worst - iirr they make you pay for an annual license in the first six months so if you move/don’t need a license it’s a massive pain to get a refund.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
TV License enforcement officers have no powers. If they arrive at your door and request to inspect you can refuse. As long as you don't have any content on a laptop currently playing and your TV Ariel cable is unplugged they can't fine you as they don't have any evidence.

TL;DR.
Don't let people in you legally don't have to
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Wait so I actually need to have a TV license, does the one my parents bought not count? I plan on watching a lot of live stuff on bbc iplayet
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No i dont have one as i dont need one.
I dont watch live TV on any channel and only watch BBC iplayer on my laptop when it is unplugged and running on it's own batteries. As long as your home address (in my case my parents house) then you are covered when your laptop or phone isn't plugged in.
I hate the way the threatening TV license letters are sent out in freshers week, people have enough going on then and often forget to reply to them. I forgot to say i didn't need one and got an even more bullying letter saying an 'investigation' was under way. Just reply on the website saying you dont need one and they will piss off :rolleyes:
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Wait so I actually need to have a TV license, does the one my parents bought not count? I plan on watching a lot of live stuff on bbc iplayet
They will never be able to enforce it. Don’t communicate with them or let them in your front door and you’ll be fine.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Obligatory IANAL

How would they ever find out you don't have a TV license? Your accommodation ip is shared as is your mobile phone ip, not a whole lot of traceability to prove anything
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vic Vinegar)
We've just uploaded our guide to whether or not you should buy a TV license at university. Personally, I have one as I watch a lot of live sport, but other than that there's little reason for me to have one.

What do you think? Do you have one? Do you use it?
When I was at uni, we never had a TV Licence. My housemates and I didn't have the need for live TV when most programming was available on catch-up services and streaming sites. Even now, I do not have a TV Licence. Majority of what I watch is on catch-up sites (not BBC iPlayer) and Netflix. I don't have the time to watch live TV and I think you can save a lot of money by not buying a TV Licence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
6.93%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.82%
I don't think they'd understand (39)
16.88%
It might lead to more bullying (80)
34.63%
There's nothing they could do (71)
30.74%

Watched Threads