Can I lose weight if I simply just stop eating?

Watch
forgotten_one
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My body mass index is in the middle which is normal but I want to go even thinner. Would really appreciate it if somebody could answer my question. Thanks
CleverSquirrel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
if you wanna become anorexic yeah

You need to understand that cutting out food completely wont help you lose weight, cutting out the wrong foods will

eat healthy, 3 healthy meals a day, work out, you'll see results and wont relapse either, small changes in your diet and regular exercise
SkyRunner61
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Would definitely not advise. Fasting long term is bad for your health, plus it might backfire, as your body starts going into fuel saving mode and so your metabolism will drastically slow down
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Stopping eating completely isn't a sensible, long-term way of losing weight. The side effects of not getting enough nutrition will far outweigh any potential weight loss, which you'll only gain back once you start eating again. The only way to lose weight and keep it off is by burning off more calories than you eat - exercise regularly, drink lots of water, sensible portion sizes, as much fruit/veg as you like, cut back on excess sugars and fats.
username3787036
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by forgotten_one)
My body mass index is in the middle which is normal but I want to go even thinner. Would really appreciate it if somebody could answer my question. Thanks
Yes but its unhealthy. To loose weight in a healthy manner, start exercising more and eating less unhealthy foods, only eat twhen you are hungry - don't comfort eat.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
You can try water fasting.

However with starving, you have an effect on your metabolism since you are losing muscle mass in such a process. This means after you've lost weight, it will be a little hard to keep it off on the long run until you build back muscle. Slow and steady wins the race; lower carb intake, eat less and more frequently, eat healthier, cut out sugar and exercise everyday with your odd rest days. Eat more protein - this will keep you full too; the body fat will melt off.
BitMel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well yh obviously, but when you eventually start eating again, which you would, you'll put back more weight and be bigger than before since that has the same effects of crash dieting.
username2396433
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Everyone's mentioned great points, but one of the points you must consider the most is:

When you stop eating, or eat less, your body starts building off muscle mass first, as it is what takes up the most energy. And in all honesty, muscle mass is not what you want to be losing, you want to lose fat.
Here are my suggestions:
Go to the gym, or find home exercise videos that you'll enjoy, and eat well.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, sure, but you'll be miserable and probably binge or cry about food or end up in hospital on a drip. 0/10 do not recommend.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (95)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (284)
15.09%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (199)
10.57%
Lack of purpose or motivation (264)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (83)
4.41%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (109)
5.79%
Loneliness (163)
8.66%
Financial worries (67)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (82)
4.36%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (105)
5.58%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (165)
8.77%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (177)
9.4%

Watched Threads