The Student Room Group

A-level Sociology

Hey guys, I’m thinking of picking sociology for Alevel, any thoughts/ advice? Xxx
I’ve not taken it, but I would advise that you look up the spec content beforehand to see if the course interests you. Wouldn’t want to choose a subject you think interests you but it turns out you don’t like learning

Any idea what you want to do after A Levels? If it's not directly related to what you want to do then I'd maybe think about it a bit more as it's not a facilitating subject
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
yh i took it. It's good, not too hard to get a high mark but theres a iot of writing and long questions if that not your thing. It's also quite useless for getting a job since most jobs dont need sociology,
Reply 3
Agree with above users, a lot of essays but not difficult to get a high mark. Unless you want to go into teaching or working at a company that deals with societal statistics/market research then it's pretty much useless. Still, it's quite interesting learning about the different perspectives on societal institutions, e.g. the family and education system.
I've just finished my A level sociology course and its not too bad. However, there is a lot of writing essays as the above users said, not to mention you need to learn a lot of studies and key concepts, however, it does get easier as a lot of studies, you can use for all sorts of topics and theories, cutting down revision. My best advice is consolidate as you learn, it makes revision 10x easier! :smile:
Sociology in my opinion is absolutely fine to take so long as your other two subjects are strong.
Say for example, English Lit (Or language), History or Sociology makes sense. It's all essays, and they all work well together. Even a foreign language, psychology or another humanity could work.

But if say you took Photography, Music tech and sociology I would worry a little bit due to the subjects not leading into much other than their own subject areas at degree level.

I agree with all posts above.
I don't think sociology is bad at all so long as the other subjects are strong in combination (I'm not saying photography or music tech aren't strong, but in combination it doesn't do many favours)
Original post by SkyRunner61
I’ve not taken it, but I would advise that you look up the spec content beforehand to see if the course interests you. Wouldn’t want to choose a subject you think interests you but it turns out you don’t like learning

Any idea what you want to do after A Levels? If it's not directly related to what you want to do then I'd maybe think about it a bit more as it's not a facilitating subject

I’m wanting to go into psychology however my school aren’t running psychology but are running sociology. I’ve lookef at the content for th Alevel scheme and there are a lot of crossovers with psychology so, yes there is a link with my career. Thankyou for the reply :smile:
Original post by bluebells1
Sociology in my opinion is absolutely fine to take so long as your other two subjects are strong.
Say for example, English Lit (Or language), History or Sociology makes sense. It's all essays, and they all work well together. Even a foreign language, psychology or another humanity could work.

But if say you took Photography, Music tech and sociology I would worry a little bit due to the subjects not leading into much other than their own subject areas at degree level.

I agree with all posts above.
I don't think sociology is bad at all so long as the other subjects are strong in combination (I'm not saying photography or music tech aren't strong, but in combination it doesn't do many favours)

Yeah I completely agree, I’m looking to take history and health and social care for Alevel. Thabkyou for the reply :smile:
Original post by aish.2000
I've just finished my A level sociology course and its not too bad. However, there is a lot of writing essays as the above users said, not to mention you need to learn a lot of studies and key concepts, however, it does get easier as a lot of studies, you can use for all sorts of topics and theories, cutting down revision. My best advice is consolidate as you learn, it makes revision 10x easier! :smile:

Yeah, I done GCSE psychology and there was a lot of studies to learn and I found that hard but I completely agree about the cross overs with studies into different topics and it really does help shorten revision. Would you say a lot of revision needs to be dedicated to sociology compared to other Alevels? because I’m kinda worried that I won’t have time to manage both sociology and history as history is very content heavy
Thabkyou for replying :smile:
Original post by ERB_1998
Agree with above users, a lot of essays but not difficult to get a high mark. Unless you want to go into teaching or working at a company that deals with societal statistics/market research then it's pretty much useless. Still, it's quite interesting learning about the different perspectives on societal institutions, e.g. the family and education system.

Yeah I think it looks pretty interested and there are multiple overlaps with psychology which is my preference for my career which is what intrigues me about sociology. Thankyou for your comment :smile:
Original post by BitMel
yh i took it. It's good, not too hard to get a high mark but theres a iot of writing and long questions if that not your thing. It's also quite useless for getting a job since most jobs dont need sociology,

Yeah a few people have said it’s easy to get a high mark, in what way is that? Like is the content easy? The exam style? Are the examiners lenient? Just wondering as a lot of people have said it’s easy. Thankyou for your comment :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by EMB<3
Yeah a few people have said it’s easy to get a high mark, in what way is that? Like is the content easy? The exam style? Are the examiners lenient? Just wondering as a lot of people have said it’s easy. Thankyou for your comment :smile:

as in you only need around 70/75% and it's not necessarily hard to obtain it. Some people say a lot of the content is common sense, especially in the first year.
Original post by EMB<3
Yeah, I done GCSE psychology and there was a lot of studies to learn and I found that hard but I completely agree about the cross overs with studies into different topics and it really does help shorten revision. Would you say a lot of revision needs to be dedicated to sociology compared to other Alevels? because I’m kinda worried that I won’t have time to manage both sociology and history as history is very content heavy
Thabkyou for replying :smile:

In terms of revision, just make a revision timetable and balance the two subjects out, since both do have quite a lot of content to learn, if you stick by it you'll be fine! :smile:
Original post by aish.2000
In terms of revision, just make a revision timetable and balance the two subjects out, since both do have quite a lot of content to learn, if you stick by it you'll be fine! :smile:

Thankyou❤️⭐️

Quick Reply

Latest