I lied on my CV now I have a job interview

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So basically lied on my cv saying I worked at semi well known stores because I wasn’t getting any job interviews due to a lack of experience. So after remaining truthful for a month of looking for a job after exams, I lied on my cv and now I have a job interview at a well known store.I’m scared I’ll be caught, so what are the chances I’m going to be caught?I have worked at similar stores but they’re unknown so it doesn’t help my cv. So if asked about it in my interviews I can easily form an answer.
Help I’m just a broke student and I want to know if they’ll be any repercussions for my actions. Before you call me a liar, this is my first time lying about something like this and I feel really guilty.
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If they found out, I'd assume you'd lose your interview/job, but I doubt they'd be calling the police on you

What did you actually expect to happen when you lied on a CV you used to apply to a job? You've got an interview, surely that's what you expected to happen? Sounds like you did a silly thing without really thinking out the end result.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Might not be a problem at the interview if you can sound convincing, but it will be an issue if they ask for a reference from them... Who did you say you worked there? Was it your most recent job on your CV? If so I would cancel the interview...
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
no biggie, you just need a friend to act as as character reference and confirm your address, employment over the past 3 years.

even if they email this company and say you were not employed, just say you were and they must have you under a diff name or system.

However they may ask for p60 forms etc, in which case just reject them when they make you an offer.
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sure you could lie your way through but if you end up doing a **** job in your new role, it may become apparent to your employer that you have no idea what to do due to your lack of experience. Lies catch up with people, lying on a CV is a big no-no.
SkyRunner61
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So basically lied on my cv saying I worked at semi well known stores because I wasn’t getting any job interviews due to a lack of experience. So after remaining truthful for a month of looking for a job after exams, I lied on my cv and now I have a job interview at a well known store.I’m scared I’ll be caught, so what are the chances I’m going to be caught?I have worked at similar stores but they’re unknown so it doesn’t help my cv. So if asked about it in my interviews I can easily form an answer.
Help I’m just a broke student and I want to know if they’ll be any repercussions for my actions. Before you call me a liar, this is my first time lying about something like this and I feel really guilty.
Well you didn't think this through... whether you're fine or not depends on whether they'd want references, in which case you're screwed. Just as a tip, try to avoid lying on your CV
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you get the job based on a false cv you're technically committing fraud. If you ever get found out expect to be sacked. Up to you whether you want to keep looking over your shoulder. Have you sent this cv to other companies? Lying on a cv is always a bad idea.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CTLeafez)
If they found out, I'd assume you'd lose your interview/job, but I doubt they'd be calling the police on you What did you actually expect to happen when you lied on a CV you used to apply to a job? You've got an interview, surely that's what you expected to happen? Sounds like you did a silly thing without really thinking out the end result.
Looooool when I was writing out the lies it seemed pretty harmless. But now that i’ve gotten an interview and everything is coming to fruition, I am now only seeing the consequences of my impulsive actions. I only hope that they don’t realise, as I only need this job for about 3 months because I might not have time when I go university in October.
Anonymous #1
Might not be a problem at the interview if you can sound convincing, but it will be an issue if they ask for a reference from them... Who did you say you worked there? Was it your most recent job on your CV? If so I would cancel the interview...
I don’t really understand the question you’re asking.I’ve listed 3 jobs on my cv, 2 of which we’re lies and 1 was true. My most recent job was the fake job I listed.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by hannah00)
no biggie, you just need a friend to act as as character reference and confirm your address, employment over the past 3 years.

even if they email this company and say you were not employed, just say you were and they must have you under a diff name or system.

However they may ask for p60 forms etc, in which case just reject them when they make you an offer.
So they’ll ask me for the reference details instead of contacting the branch directly? If so that’s great I’ll just get one of my friends to do that. If I’m caught out isn’t it better to just tell the truth though than saying that? Cause i’d be digging myself into a deeper hole
Thank you so much for the advice!!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by UWS)
Sure you could lie your way through but if you end up doing a **** job in your new role, it may become apparent to your employer that you have no idea what to do due to your lack of experience. Lies catch up with people, lying on a CV is a big no-no.
I get where you’re coming from but I’ve done very similar roles just at unknown shops and i’ve picked up the same skills as I would have at the big brands that I mentioned. So that’s not really my biggest problem. I understand lies always catch up to people but in this case I hope it doesn’t my intentions were pure, I tried applying to jobs with a truthful cv and got no interviews. If I didn’t lie It would just be endless cycle of not getting any experience because I don’t have any (well known) experience
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Duncan2012)
If you get the job based on a false cv you're technically committing fraud. If you ever get found out expect to be sacked. Up to you whether you want to keep looking over your shoulder. Have you sent this cv to other companies? Lying on a cv is always a bad idea.
I don’t really mind being fired as I only need this job for about 3 months that’s not my biggest concern in the grand scheme of things. I’m just wondering whether or not I’ll get a criminal record I’m going to med school in October and they’re going to do a dbs check.I know that what I did was bad and i’ve never done something like this before but my intentions are pure, I just need a job so I can afford to pay for books and material before I start med school as I’m not too keen on taking a maintenance loan.
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m just wondering whether or not I’ll get a criminal record I’m going to med school in October and they’re going to do a dbs check.I know that what I did was bad and i’ve never done something like this before but my intentions are pure, I just need a job so I can afford to pay for books and material before I start med school as I’m not too keen on taking a maintenance loan.
Either way, is it really worth risking medical school for a part-time job?!
SkyRunner61
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I get where you’re coming from but I’ve done very similar roles just at unknown shops and i’ve picked up the same skills as I would have at the big brands that I mentioned. So that’s not really my biggest problem. I understand lies always catch up to people but in this case I hope it doesn’t my intentions were pure, I tried applying to jobs with a truthful cv and got no interviews. If I didn’t lie It would just be endless cycle of not getting any experience because I don’t have any (well known) experience
Yeah your intentions don’t matter because it’s still fraud
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don’t really mind being fired as I only need this job for about 3 months that’s not my biggest concern in the grand scheme of things. I’m just wondering whether or not I’ll get a criminal record I’m going to med school in October and they’re going to do a dbs check.I know that what I did was bad and i’ve never done something like this before but my intentions are pure, I just need a job so I can afford to pay for books and material before I start med school as I’m not too keen on taking a maintenance loan.
You could end up with a criminal record. Unlikely, but it could happen.

'intentions were pure'?! You lied to cheat your way to a job.

You'd risk something like this rather than taking out a loan that is specifically designed for people in your position? You seriously need to think about your priorities. And your honesty while you're at it.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You won't get a criminal record but you are an eejit.

And if they take up a reference they will almost certainly want the referee's company email address. [email protected] won't hack it.
LouiseRu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do not proceed with this.

If you were to obtain a job in this way it would be obtaining money by deception I. E by pretending to have worked at Companies
that you have not worked for.

This really would harm your reputation as a person forever.

You want to be a Doctor and the standards that you will be judged by are set high.

You actually have an alternative, a maintenance loan which you can repay a long time in the future.

Use it.

If you were found out you would be judged harshly as no one would understand why a person of your intelligence
and education would do this.

Also someone in the shop that you may want to work for , may have actually worked at the place that you are lying about so
be easily able to identify you as a liar.

Once you have been a medical student you will be able to work as a HCA to earn money instead.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So they’ll ask me for the reference details instead of contacting the branch directly? If so that’s great I’ll just get one of my friends to do that. If I’m caught out isn’t it better to just tell the truth though than saying that? Cause i’d be digging myself into a deeper hole
You'd usually give contact details from work so just giving them your mates mobile number won't work. Also in many places hr will handle references, if they know that's the case and you give them a random mobile they will know you're lying.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
2 of which we’re lies
Was one of those 'proof reader'?
hannah00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes they will ask you for reference details.

You can provide false ones, hope they get no response or say you dont have contact details.

Then they will ask you for other evidence like a character reference from a friend or payslips.

Typically if your not working with children or FCA Regulated role(or secret service), references are not checked in detail
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (390)
56.6%
I don't have everything I need (299)
43.4%

Watched Threads