The Student Room Group

TSR Recommends - being a student in London

Hi all! I've lived in London for coming up to 7 years now, 5 of which as a student. Here are some things that I wish I knew before moving here to study. Please add in your own recommendations!

Travel

The tube is synonymous with London, however, not only is it super expensive it's very crowded and stuffy (especially in this weather!). Depending on where you're studying and where you live, free alternatives is cycling and walking. I lived in central first year and didn't realise how actually close things are in London. For example, I would get the tube from Goodge Street to Oxford street to go shopping and it didn't click until a few months later this was only a 15 min walk or so! If walking/cycling isn't an option, buses run very frequently (from every 2 mins to 12 depending on where and when). These are cheaper alternatives to the tube, and you can buy week passes as opposed to pay as you go.

Apps/technology

For those who don't have an Oyster card, don't worry! Contactless debit cards work the same and doesn't cost anymore than an oyster to use and the same as an oyster, there is a max daily limit on how much it costs. Talking of oysters, as a student you can apply for a discounted student Oyster card to save some bucks. Most people are aware of the greatness that is google maps, but specifically for London I recommend city mapper, which not only has live feeds of buses, tubes, how to get from A-B but also a map of where Boris bikes are.

Food

It's London, it's going to be expensive! For everyday eating, head to the discount section of supermarkets for food going off that day and get a bargain! Other tips which applies for all students is bulk buying and meal prep. As for eating out, some places offer student deals/discounts (such as McDonalds). We all need that morning coffee, but Starbucks and Nero are just too much for a daily buy! Head to student cafes or your department depending on your uni for a better deal - some places will discount you if you bring your own mug too! Also, check out Hare Krishna spots for free yummy vegetarian food.

Leisure

Join the student gym as opposed to those on the high street (which in London cost a bomb). Lots of events in London are super cool but super expensive. Try societies at your university. Some of my favourite (and cheap!) societies had events such as outdoor cinema, student comedy nights and debates. Outside of studying you'll want to hit up the sights! Most museums are free and often run some cool events such as night tours of the science museum. On a bit of a darker note, London, and especially tourist areas are prime targets for pickpockets so keep a wary eye on your stuff!
This is such a great thread :woo:

:blow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending