The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

Originally, I was going to choose A-Levels in History, Sociology, English Literature, and Maths, hoping for a career in academic research in history or teaching it.
However, my school is only offering English Lit/Lang combined, however I have been told that in the new a levels this counts as facilitating, although it didn’t before, so I’m okay with taking this.
As well as this, maths clashes with both history and sociology, but I could take economics instead as my fourth a level, as I was only taking maths as I enjoy it. However, I don’t know whether to do this new combination (history, sociology, English lit/Lang, and economics) or to not do economics and do an epq instead?
My epq would be on women’s literature/history, so would mean abandoning maths altogether, but I think it would be better for my future, even though it would mean not doing four a levels, would it be better or more relevant?

Essentially, should I do;
History, sociology, English lit/lang, and economics,
Or
History, sociology, English lit/lang, and an EPQ?
Original post by Holly.rose.x
Originally, I was going to choose A-Levels in History, Sociology, English Literature, and Maths, hoping for a career in academic research in history or teaching it.
However, my school is only offering English Lit/Lang combined, however I have been told that in the new a levels this counts as facilitating, although it didn’t before, so I’m okay with taking this.
As well as this, maths clashes with both history and sociology, but I could take economics instead as my fourth a level, as I was only taking maths as I enjoy it. However, I don’t know whether to do this new combination (history, sociology, English lit/Lang, and economics) or to not do economics and do an epq instead?
My epq would be on women’s literature/history, so would mean abandoning maths altogether, but I think it would be better for my future, even though it would mean not doing four a levels, would it be better or more relevant?

Essentially, should I do;
History, sociology, English lit/lang, and economics,
Or
History, sociology, English lit/lang, and an EPQ?

Do you enjoy Econ? If you’d prefer doing the EPQ and it links more to what you think you want to do, then I’d say do the latter
Original post by SkyRunner61
Do you enjoy Econ? If you’d prefer doing the EPQ and it links more to what you think you want to do, then I’d say do the latter

I don’t know if I enjoy economics because I’ve never Had a chance to try it, I am only considering it as it is a mathsy option but maths clashes with other subjects. I’ve spoken to an a level economics teacher who said it would fit well with some skills in my other subjects though, such as interpretation of sources?
Original post by Holly.rose.x
I don’t know if I enjoy economics because I’ve never Had a chance to try it, I am only considering it as it is a mathsy option but maths clashes with other subjects. I’ve spoken to an a level economics teacher who said it would fit well with some skills in my other subjects though, such as interpretation of sources?

How soon do you have to decide on your options? I’d look up the spec and see if it sounds like something you’d be interested in

Quick Reply

Latest