Lazy1212342
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I will be applying for Secondary PGCE for 2018-19. However, I had taken a gap year after failing to enrol on to the PGCE for 2017-18, as I had failed one of my GCSE's. Therefore, I spent my gap year to revise for the exam which I have now passed, thankfully.

But, the worrying thing is that during the gap year I haven't done much, apart from revising and doing temporary roles. I had been trying to get myself a placement at a school, which I couldn't get as I've only passed my exam 2-3 weeks before the summer holidays. I didn't want to find a placement before passing as I wasn't sure whether I'd want to continue with teaching.

So, as I've now passed I'm ready to apply, but I'm also a bit confused as to what to discuss in my personal statement. Although, I have school experience for the previous years.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lazy1212342)
I will be applying for Secondary PGCE for 2018-19. However, I had taken a gap year after failing to enrol on to the PGCE for 2017-18, as I had failed one of my GCSE's. Therefore, I spent my gap year to revise for the exam which I have now passed, thankfully.

But, the worrying thing is that during the gap year I haven't done much, apart from revising and doing temporary roles. I had been trying to get myself a placement at a school, which I couldn't get as I've only passed my exam 2-3 weeks before the summer holidays. I didn't want to find a placement before passing as I wasn't sure whether I'd want to continue with teaching.

So, as I've now passed I'm ready to apply, but I'm also a bit confused as to what to discuss in my personal statement. Although, I have school experience for the previous years.
It's totally normal for people to take time out between completing their undergrad degree and starting their PGCE. If you've got school experience from previous years, then you can discuss that in your personal statement. You can also discuss any voluntary experience you might have with children, especially in the age group you want to teach.

Applications don't open until November, so maybe you could get some work experience with a holiday club or volunteer with scouts/guides or a sports team to help your application? You could also try to get some more school experience in September.

Your PS should tackle the questions "Why do you want to be a teacher?" "Why do you want to to teach this age-group?" "Why do you want to teach this subject?" and "Why do you think you have the potential to be a great teacher?"

Also do check out the Teacher training, teaching and education jobs sub-forum to chat to other teachers/trainees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?