The Student Room Group

TSR Recommends: Cheap Supermarkets

TSR Recommends: Cheap Supermarkets

For all your cheap food and drink and whatever takes away that kink :awesome:
Here is some of my main advice points but what we really want is your advice. Where do you recommend?

1 - Don't go to Waitrose unless you want to be compared to the Royal Family.
Do go to Waitrose if you don't care about this or saving money. Or if you are @Kate Middleton and like spending £10 as you get a free Guardian paper.

M&S is nice for treating yourself once in a year but is expensive and for OAPs so approach with caution students :yy:

2 - Aldi is great for cheap pasta, fresh food and things like cereal. It's bakery is a bit of a let down in selection compared to Lidl and often these places are mainly accessible by car.

3 - ASDA is great for selection but be careful when it comes to brands! Do some calculations and see what deal you are actually getting, often big brands are cheaper elsewhere.

4 - Sainsbury's is a rip off and has little selection, can be good for reduced stuff because then it's normal price :yy: Their bakery can also be very good (cookies :ninja: :cookie: )
I have just got myself a nectar card for Sainsbury's as there is one local to me and already have 11 points so I hope that these will make prizes but will get back to you on that one!

5 - Tesco is okay but often has a small selection of things. For a bigger selection learn to drive and go to a massive one. I like the clubcard thing though. It can be really great if you save up, my dad got me a railcard with his clubcard points (worth £30).

6 - Iceland and Farmfoods are so great for frozen food. Be prepared to buy 2-3 of the same thing though, here it is cheaper to buy in bulk!

7 - The Co-Op and Morrisons are kinda meh but Wilko can be quite good for household things and often bathroom things. I really recommend their conditioner/shampoo stuff :yy:

8 - Home bargains and B and M are really great for brand deals and you can find some nice, cheap things for the kitchen too. Poundland is also worth a shout, if you have a big shop near you, you can actually get some really good hardware items e.g screwdrivers and tools for £1!!! Seriously worth it!

[YOUR ADVICE HERE]

What do you guys think? Do you agree with this ? Is there somewhere else I've missed out? Give us your views!

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Look at Price per 100g to get a real comparison about what's best value.:wink:
Original post by 04MR17
Look at Price per 100g to get a real comparison about what's best value.:wink:

or 1g or per grain or :ssaw: or balloon or whatever
just do some #quickmaths
You forgot lidl, aldi, home and bargains and BandM
Original post by CoolCavy
You forgot lidl, aldi, home and bargains and BandM

No, no
Omg those two are great I'll add them Ty covle!
lidl for bakery
asda for juice
aldi for fruits and pretty much everything else (pain au lait :ahee:)
tesco for milk :tongue:
M&S and Waitrose FTW
Original post by Plagioclase
I don't understand, you've got a section on cheap supermarkets and then you put in two supermarkets that everybody knows are not cheap. That's not particularly fair is it? Of course Waitrose and M&S won't do very well if you're judging them as a budget supermarket because they're not. Doesn't mean they're not great supermarkets. Also Waitrose gives you a free copy of The Guardian if you spend over £10 so that's pretty great.

And Tesco - small selection? Really? Not sure what Tescos you've been going to...

Reported for spam :hand:

Spoiler

Original post by Paracosm
M&S and Waitrose FTW

But carrefour? Auchan? :eek2:

Spoiler

I guess it depends how much of a foodie you are.

Even when I lived in halls I would usually shop at Waitrose for quality meats and foreign ingredients but do my regular shopping in Co-op, Asda, or Morrisons. Asda was a trek otherwise I'd have gone there all the time. :tongue: When my friend and I got a flat together we defaulted to Asda's home delivery service. Their £5 monthly fee (instead of paying per delivery) is worthwhile.
Lidl is so cheap compared to sainsburys.

But you gotta catch up on the nectar points - my Dad has been shopping at sainsburys for years (because it was the closest and the only one you could really walk to before they built lidl) and literally has thousands of nectar points xD :P
Why not buy the cheapo range from all supermarkets?
Original post by Other_Owl
Why not buy the cheapo range from all supermarkets?

Original post by CheeseIsVeg

Oops said that wrong, I mean't each of the supermarkets have their own cheapo range.
always look at the yellow sticker items 👍🏻
Original post by sinfonietta
I guess it depends how much of a foodie you are.

Even when I lived in halls I would usually shop at Waitrose for quality meats and foreign ingredients but do my regular shopping in Co-op, Asda, or Morrisons. Asda was a trek otherwise I'd have gone there all the time. :tongue: When my friend and I got a flat together we defaulted to Asda's home delivery service. Their £5 monthly fee (instead of paying per delivery) is worthwhile.

ooh that's good from asda
I was thinking about getting a delivery but am not sure it's worth it because I'm a 5 minute walk from a Sainsbury's local and 20 minutes from a tesco and then a bus stop that will take me to aldi/asda :erm:
just not sure xD
Original post by Bill Nye
Lidl is so cheap compared to sainsburys.

But you gotta catch up on the nectar points - my Dad has been shopping at sainsburys for years (because it was the closest and the only one you could really walk to before they built lidl) and literally has thousands of nectar points xD :P

I shall try to get some more :woo:
I wonder what I can use nectar points for though :beard: :tongue:
Waitrose give you a free coffee.... you don't have to make a purchase, but it would be a bit rude not to.
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
I shall try to get some more :woo:
I wonder what I can use nectar points for though :beard: :tongue:

My dad saves them up and uses them to buy a turkey or whatever at Christmas xD
Reply 19
Tescos is great. Don't **** on Tescos. They are amazing for my GF stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest