This discussion is closed.
b79de6e897
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
For all of you sitting the PAT this November, I know there aren't many guides or resources out there so thought I would give a few tips as I managed to get through it a few years ago. Make sure you are familiar with the Syllabus, which can be found on Oxford's website since it is changing all the time. Make sure you know all of AS maths and physics and it is a good idea to know A2 as well. When you are sitting the paper make sure to write everything down, even if you cannot answer the question, DO NOT leave a blank white space.

There are few guides out there, but this one is by far the best and cheaper. A really good guide:
Complete Oxford PAT Guide: Part I: Notes and Formulae https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1983234230

https://oxfordpatguide.vp.haptoid.com
Last edited by Professor Oak; 2 years ago
b79de6e897
Rep:
?
Feel free to ask any questions.
forgotten_one
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, is this for students applying to Oxford in 2018?
yusyus
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by forgotten_one)
yeah I think it is

I found this btw seems useful

http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/olympiad...ur_Physics.pdf
b79de6e897
Rep:
?
(Original post by forgotten_one)
Yes it is. So for students that will be sitting the PAT this November the 2nd.
b79de6e897
Rep:
?
(Original post by yusyus)
yeah I think it is

I found this btw seems useful

http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/olympiad...ur_Physics.pdf
Seems okay. There is a lot of useless content such as 'Fast Physics', 'Rotation', 'Practical Physics' etc. plus a lot of missing content. Best to go through the syllabus step by step just to be extra certain:
https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-...t/pat-syllabus

The guide above ^: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Ox...dp/1983234230/
does this quite well
yusyus
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by b79de6e897)
Seems okay. There is a lot of useless content such as 'Fast Physics', 'Rotation', 'Practical Physics' etc. plus a lot of missing content. Best to go through the syllabus step by step just to be extra certain:
https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-...t/pat-syllabus

The guide above ^: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Ox...dp/1983234230/
does this quite well
it's a while till the actual PAT date I just linked that as it can help in general with physics admissions to unis. It can help with PS and interview preparation
b79de6e897
Rep:
?
(Original post by yusyus)
it's a while till the actual PAT date I just linked that as it can help in general with physics admissions to unis. It can help with PS and interview preparation
Fair enough, it is quite early. The earlier the better tho!
Ridpx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hiy! What is the best way to practice and understand the harder/longer physics questions?

And is it too late to start revising and doing papers now and still get a high mark? Because a video I watched said we should have been revising 15months before?! Sadly I only saw this the other week!

Thank you! x
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by b79de6e897)
Fair enough, it is quite early. The earlier the better tho!
Moved to Oxford
radii08
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ridpx)
Hiy! What is the best way to practice and understand the harder/longer physics questions?

And is it too late to start revising and doing papers now and still get a high mark? Because a video I watched said we should have been revising 15months before?! Sadly I only saw this the other week!

Thank you! x
I haven't started either... I've mostly been learning A2 Maths content at a slow rate and procrastinating. Do you think you'll have enough time to prepare properly and get shortlisted?

Also, could you link me that video?
OxfordPATGuide
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ridpx)

Thank you! x
That video is completely incorrect do not worry if you havent started yet, it is still not too late. I would recommend saving the papers until the month before the actual PAT. It is better to do other papers first (e.g. MAT and ENGAA) and built up a strong understanding before attempting the PAT papers. View: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content
DatBrendonUrie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does anyone know anything about the formulas / fundamental constants we need to know?The Oxford PAT site lists quite a few of the a-level ones however says that it is not an extensive list. I am assuming we need to know all the formulas in the a level data booklet relevant to the topics they say could come up but no idea about which constants they expect us to know.
b79de6e897
Rep:
?
(Original post by DatBrendonUrie)
Does anyone know anything about the formulas / fundamental constants we need to know?The Oxford PAT site lists quite a few of the a-level ones however says that it is not an extensive list. I am assuming we need to know all the formulas in the a level data booklet relevant to the topics they say could come up but no idea about which constants they expect us to know.
The guide above^ has a comprehensive list of all the formulae. In terms of constants know common ones that you come across often in maths and physics, it will be pretty obvious which ones you will need once you have done some of the PAT past papers. Any vague constants such as G will be given so I would not worry about remembering them exactly, but more how to use them i.e. the formulae.
vessa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know that you should be trying to score as high as possible but does anyone know what kind of score we should be aiming for (for engineering) to be safe? I did a practice test in school and got 57 or so but my admissions supervisor told me that a score like that is not even borderline (while giving me a look like I 'should just give up now').

I definitely want to do better that this in the real thing but am I really a lost cause? If not, what kind of thing can I do other than past papers and olympiad questions to improve?
Qwertvbnm123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by vessa)
I know that you should be trying to score as high as possible but does anyone know what kind of score we should be aiming for (for engineering) to be safe? I did a practice test in school and got 57 or so but my admissions supervisor told me that a score like that is not even borderline (while giving me a look like I 'should just give up now'.

I definitely want to do better that this in the real thing but am I really a lost cause? If not, what kind of thing can I do other than past papers and olympiad questions to improve?
Some papers have a pass mark of less than 50 and some have over 70, you need to look at the markers report to find out how you compare to others who sat the paper.
vessa
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Qwertvbnm123)
Some papers have a pass mark of less than 50 and some have over 70, you need to look at the markers report to find out how you compare to others who sat the paper.
That's really settled my worries since I checked just now and the one we did (the 2009 paper) had a pass at 47.

Thanks a lot! Now I can get a better idea of how I'm doing in past papers.
Qwertvbnm123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by vessa)
That's really settled my worries since I checked just now and the one we did (the 2009 paper) had a pass at 47.

Thanks a lot! Now I can get a better idea of how I'm doing in past papers.
Haha, 57 is a lot better than what I'm getting currently even for the easier papers... All be it I've only done 2 papers.
vessa
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Qwertvbnm123)
Haha, 57 is a lot better than what I'm getting currently even for the easier papers... All be it I've only done 2 papers.
To be honest, that was a bit of a fluke for me. I've mainly been floating around 30-40ish for most of the papers I've done at home...
Qwertvbnm123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by vessa)
To be honest, that was a bit of a fluke for me. I've mainly been floating around 30-40ish for most of the papers I've done at home...
Out of interest what college are you applying to, I think I'll try for Mansfield :P.

The key for getting good marks seems (from my very limited experience haha) to be prioritising what you are good at to save time. If you don't get something within 10 secs or so just move on because there are always other questions with easy marks. Hope that helps!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads