The Student Room Group

Advice on Masters Please?

Hi there!

Currently third year Economics BSc and looking to go into Masters study. I was averaging 79/80% all year so thought I was going to do well, but had a mental breakdown the month of my final exams. In my exams I got grades that eventually brought me down to 62% roughly in all modules. I have one more exam to sit in a few weeks as I managed to get one pushed back.

However, I really want to do an Economics MSc. I didn't think I was going to be able to get the grades (uni life has genuinely been upheaved by numerous out of my hand concerns such as my mum getting cancer etc) so I didn't think I'd be going anywhere until my third year grades.

Now, with my exam I have to sit, I'm looking at a low 2:1 or a 2:2 ( :frown: ) and I just want to know if a masters is still feasible?

I got into my old uni to do an Economics MA but honestly I don't think the university is that good and a lecturer told me and my friend to 'leave as soon as we can' so...
I am almost certain your extenuating circumstances will be taken into account. Please speak to the admissions tutors at your university. Good luck.
Original post by Shellbeach
I am almost certain your extenuating circumstances will be taken into account. Please speak to the admissions tutors at your university. Good luck.

I'm hoping so! I'm right in thinking it's too late for an application this year, so I'll probably be applying for next year. Thank you!
Original post by pippalowthorpe11
Hi there!

Currently third year Economics BSc and looking to go into Masters study. I was averaging 79/80% all year so thought I was going to do well, but had a mental breakdown the month of my final exams. In my exams I got grades that eventually brought me down to 62% roughly in all modules. I have one more exam to sit in a few weeks as I managed to get one pushed back.

However, I really want to do an Economics MSc. I didn't think I was going to be able to get the grades (uni life has genuinely been upheaved by numerous out of my hand concerns such as my mum getting cancer etc) so I didn't think I'd be going anywhere until my third year grades.

Now, with my exam I have to sit, I'm looking at a low 2:1 or a 2:2 ( :frown: ) and I just want to know if a masters is still feasible?

I got into my old uni to do an Economics MA but honestly I don't think the university is that good and a lecturer told me and my friend to 'leave as soon as we can' so...

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the really tough time you had during the exam season - I agree with the previous respondent that extenuating circumstances will likely be taken into account when you apply, given the sudden drop in your grades. A 2:1 would still get you into many Economics MSc courses :smile:

I think some universities are currently still open for PG applications - I know that my university has its general PG application deadline on the 31st July, which should include the Economics MSc - but its always best to check with the admissions teams of universities you apply to as some courses may have their own deadlines. :h:

Best of luck!

Fred - UEA PG Rep
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by University of East Anglia PG Student Rep
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the really tough time you had during the exam season - I agree with the previous respondent that extenuating circumstances will likely be taken into account when you apply, given the sudden drop in your grades. A 2:1 would still get you into many Economics MSc courses :smile:

I think some universities are currently still open for PG applications - I know that my university has its general PG application deadline on the 31st July, which should include the Economics MSc - but its always best to check with the admissions teams of universities you apply to as some courses may have their own deadlines. :h:

Best of luck!

Fred - UEA PG Rep

Hey!

Thank you! I'm hoping for a 2:1, but it's most likely a very low one or a high 2:2! My transcripts show everything going well until exams. I was thinking of applying to UEA actually! I'm hoping to put in a speedy application!
It honestly depends on the university. I applied to two for my masters; I was averaging 63% by the time I had applied (My final grade was 65%). One uni gave me an offer of a 2.1 - as long as you get a 2.1, they don't care if its 69% or 60% as that was the only condition.

Another originally said they would expect me to get a 2.1, however when the offer came through it was a 2.2
Original post by pippalowthorpe11
Hey!

Thank you! I'm hoping for a 2:1, but it's most likely a very low one or a high 2:2! My transcripts show everything going well until exams. I was thinking of applying to UEA actually! I'm hoping to put in a speedy application!

Hey again,

That's great news! I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the application process or UEA itself. :smile:

Best of luck!

Fred - UEA PG Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending